Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scotland for new year tips, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2005, 05:42 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scotland for new year tips, recommendations?

Hi,
Never been to bonnie Scotland before & lady in my life rather fancied it for new year me thinks. So any good tips for where, what or otherwise?
Romatic would be good, cheap booze & good fun would be a winner lol
Ta
Si
Old 13 November 2005, 06:56 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I stayed in the Mal Maison just outside the centre of Edinburgh, lovely hotel and right on the river. My advice would be to stay round edinburgh most of the other places I went to didnt really have much going for them! (IMO)
Old 13 November 2005, 06:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't go.............it's full of Jocks

Alcazar
Old 13 November 2005, 07:00 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar
And there funny money!
Old 13 November 2005, 07:22 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
He's right, you know.......
Old 13 November 2005, 08:42 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
And there funny money!
Yet it would appear we have a better grasp of the English language than some of you lot
Old 13 November 2005, 08:45 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Oh, we are all horrible up here and you wouldn't be welcome. Stay were you are !!

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2005, 08:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

you wouldn't read about it would ya lol
So Edinburgh defo best plan then folks? erm booger like finding rocking horse poo looking for a free hotel in edinburgh for new year er anyone know any good er camp sites lol
Whats Glasgow like looks a bit more available.........
Ta muchly
Si
Old 13 November 2005, 09:37 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Try and book an hotel in edinburgh town centre you will be very lucky mate there taking bookings for next year already.thats for decent ones anyway ?

R.B
Old 14 November 2005, 01:17 PM
carlem
Scooby Regular

I suppose it depends what you are looking to do. Pub then club or a more relaxed night?

We're all going down to Duck Bay Marina on the banks of Loch Lomond. It's a dinner dance for the majority of the night followed by a disco from 1am till 3am when it closes. Duck Bay Marina is also a hotel (quiet small though) so you can get wasted then fall into bed without worrying about getting a taxi home! Alternatively you could fall into the loch and drown!!!! You pick....!!!

Loads of decent pubs and clubs in the centre of Glasgow though if that's what you are looking for. If so I'd definitely recommend finding a hotel in the city as trying to get a taxi will be an absolute nightmare.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by R.B
Try and book an hotel in edinburgh town centre you will be very lucky mate there taking bookings for next year already.thats for decent ones anyway ?

R.B
Old 15 November 2005, 07:05 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

aha managed to get a hotel in edinburgh 31st-2nd 4* street pass etc etc etc. sounds promising as it's within walking distance of the main party but far enough to still be quiet(ish )
So what actually happens at such hogmany fun & games if thats not a stoopid question?
Si
Old 15 November 2005, 07:42 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

We all drink, fight, dance and kiss as many nice girls you can find. Find a fountain and jump in, fall over and be sick. Then try and get a taxi home about five in the morning and freeze your nads of.
Old 15 November 2005, 11:56 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Threads like these always make me laugh.

There is nothing particularly "special" or "Scottish" about Glasgow or Edinburgh at new year.

For sure they both have big street parties, fireworks and the like, but so do many other UK cities now. The only difference is that they are in Scotland.

If you want to experience something different, head further North, or better still get out to Skye or Mull.

If you do come up, don;t take the ****, and don't, for ***** sake, wear an England top when out partying. If the locals don't give you a kicking (entirely justifyable in the circumstances) then the police probably will (again, highly justifyable in the circumstances)

Its called respect - have some and you'll have a great time (albeit a bit predictable)
Old 15 November 2005, 12:10 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
If you do come up, don;t take the ****, and don't, for ***** sake, wear an England top when out partying. If the locals don't give you a kicking (entirely justifyable in the circumstances) then the police probably will (again, highly justifyable in the circumstances)
Does that mean anyone out in England in a kilt or scottish rugby top on NYE deserves the same treatment?

Andy
Old 15 November 2005, 12:19 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 106rallye
Does that mean anyone out in England in a kilt or scottish rugby top on NYE deserves the same treatment?

Andy
thats just for being daft enough to buy one
Old 15 November 2005, 12:37 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

So what actually happens at such hogmany fun & games if thats not a stoopid question?
The reality of New Year in Princes St is that if it isn't cancelled due to bad weather see 2003 for further info then you will spend the evening squashed to bits with the local teenage masses throwing up, throwing booze, throwing drunken tantrums, throwing punches....and most of this all over you

You'll never again get a chance to see so many Kiwis, Australians, South Africans and scum from Pilton, Muirhouse (see local tourist guide for further info) in one place. Occasionally some decent Scottish people do attend, but I can't guarantee this.

Clubs and pubs will impose a circa £15-£25 entry fee, so unless you have tickets for somewhere (other than the street party), then forget getting in anywhere and hope for good weather....

A few bands will play (Think it's Texas, KT Tunstall (if you haven't already seen her live, then just watch her on stage and listen to her album on your i-pod at the same time, to avoid disappointment). Some fireworks will go off.....

People will all count 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1...then snog whoevers next to them.

Simon
(Scottish Tourist Board)
Old 15 November 2005, 01:04 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Andy

Try as ye haste my friend
Old 15 November 2005, 01:12 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Try as ye haste my friend
Sorry google google can't translate that for me

The real thing I was commenting on was that mindless violence was justifiable for some reason.

TBH I would rather **** myself than go somewhere for NYE where a football/rugby shirt from any country/team was accepted dress code anyway!

Hope everyone enjoys what they do for new year and doesn't get beaten up by the locals or the police for what ever reason

Andy
Old 15 November 2005, 01:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

TBH I would rather **** myself than go somewhere for NYE where a football/rugby shirt from any country/team was accepted dress code anyway!
....just wait untill you see all the Burberry rugby shirts on New Year's eve on Princes Street
Old 15 November 2005, 01:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,

They're all a bit weird the further and remoter you go up North in Scotland. Must be all the inbreeding and strange religious cults. Think 'The Wicker Man'

Simon's summary of Hogmany in Edinburgh is about right. It's where all the tourists or foreign workers/students go.

Personally I prefer spending New Year with friends and family and avoid the mass crowds. I wouldn't mind spending a New Year in New York or Sydney, but like most things the reality is usually not as good as the fantasy.

Glasgow George Square is another venue which could have potential but is usually spoiled by drunken yobs or the weather
Old 15 November 2005, 01:49 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Try Stonehaven.
They swing big stone ***** around themselves with fire.

http://www.visitscotland.com/library/firefestivals
Old 16 November 2005, 08:41 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andy
LOL

Personally, I think you would be stupid wearing a Scotland top in England when out on the **** anyway, so yes on that count.

A kilt is different, it is officially national dress. Anyone from England is welcome to wear morris dancing kit whilst out and about in Scotland
Old 18 November 2005, 07:07 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

ah well sod it not guna cancel now as i'll still end up paying 40% so mayb the most expensive flash back to my youth with all this talk of drunken teenages vomiting on my then kissing me i think i may stay there lol
**** it should be fun anyways got a hotel not far from all that action & a nice young lady for company so all good
Si