Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tonight with Trev MacDonald

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 03:37 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonight with Trev MacDonald

Might be worth casting an eye across the show tomorrow (Friday) night as it is about the motorists who are starting to fight back. I believe one key aspect of the show is going to be the problems of the LTI2020 laser "gun" which the Daily Mail also devoted some coverage to recently.

For those who missed the BBC demonstration of the 58mph brick wall I am sure there will be lots to attract your interest in the show.

Enjoy, and remember: "If you haven't done anything wrong then you've nothing to worry about."
Old 03 November 2005, 04:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'll be at work

But I have a video recorder

Cheers
Old 04 November 2005, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Look forward to seeing that then. Thanks for the heads up.

Les
Old 04 November 2005, 01:48 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

This has the potential to be a big embarrassment for the partnerships, police and government just because they have "done" somewhat over 5 million motorists with this device in the last 5 years. I wonder what will happen to all these convictions?

Paul Smith, of Safe Speed fame has suggested that motorists take the following action:

* Write to your MP demanding that type approval of the LTI2020 is suspended.
* See a solicitor if you have been accused or convicted based on laser speed meter evidence.
* Challenge every ongoing case.
* Do not pay the fixed penalty ticket.
(I wouldn't agree with this one, challenge each ticket yes but don't just refuse to pay because it seemed like a good idea at the time!)
* If you have been convicted in the last five years, try to get the case re- opened.
* If you have suffered losses because of faulty laser speed meter evidence make a compensation claim.

Clearly if even 10% of those 5 million followed this advice there would be serious problems for the automated revenue system. I would also add that all motorists accused of speeding should demand to see all the photographic and video evidence as I have heard of reports of one motorist who got the whole video tape on which his "offence" was recorded finding that the tape also had footage of a dog travelling at over 70mph, according the the laser of course.
Old 04 November 2005, 02:25 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
.the tape also had footage of a dog travelling at over 70mph
That would be funny to see
Old 04 November 2005, 02:53 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I don't believe many people got to see it :-)

Now, the memory thing doesn't work well for me but I seem to remember that when it was pointed out to the CPS that some part of the defence was going to be based upon the playing in court of a video of a 70mph dog the case was withdrawn. There seems to be a lot of that about recently, just asking to get to see the video seems to be enough to get a case dropped for some strange reason:

http://www.pepipoo.com/Case_Files/Case_file_19.htm

Of course the BBC programme which demonstrated the 58mph brick wall, even more unlike than the 70mph dog in my view, can still be downloaded (warning large files)from Pepipoo:

http://www.pepipoo.org/files/inside_out.rm

and

http://www.pepipoo.org/files/inside_out_12-sep-05.rm

And the BBC report is still here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south...-cameras.shtml
Old 04 November 2005, 03:33 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Oh, I forgot to mention that Neill Herron is also due to be on the programme detailing some of the problems with decriminalised parking enforcement with a specific focus on Sunderland where it is possible that criminal charges may be brought against Council officers for their parking fines scheme. The Bill of Rights situation may also be discussed.

Enjoy the show and keep in mind that in many cases the motorist isn't the one carrying out the illegal act. They may want to force us off the roads, John Major signed the Copenhagen Declaration in 1996 on behalf of the UK and it gives a clear committment to removing access to private transport because it is "socially divisive," but they are not forcing me out of my car without a fight.

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2005, 12:17 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Enjoy the show and keep in mind that in many cases the motorist isn't the one carrying out the illegal act. They may want to force us off the roads, John Major signed the Copenhagen Declaration in 1996 on behalf of the UK and it gives a clear committment to removing access to private transport because it is "socially divisive," but they are not forcing me out of my car without a fight.
So, anyone seen John Major on the Clapham, or any other, omnibus?
Old 05 November 2005, 01:20 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As a passenger or as the conductor?

Old 05 November 2005, 08:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was interesting but there is plenty of stiction from the safety partnerships of course, they wont want to pay it all back! It depends on further developements I suppose.

Les
Old 05 November 2005, 12:16 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

and anyone see the blue Scoob!?

Scotty.
Old 05 November 2005, 02:26 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It was interesting but there is plenty of stiction from the safety partnerships of course, they wont want to pay it all back! It depends on further developements I suppose.

Les
What is even more interesting to watch Les is the way in which they have avoided setting precedent in a court. Cases which question the accuracy of the laser, or use the Bill of Rights defence (which was the initial defence used in Sunderland) etc. mysteriously seem to never make it into court. The CPS are relying on scare tactics along the lines of "we'll take you to court" to get most people to cave in and pay up. However, when they get someone who stands up to this it is actually the CPS who are frightened to go to court. I would guess that all it takes is one high profile precedent setting case against any of the illegal measures they are using against us and (as one letter to magistrates urging them to ensure to convict motorists using a certain defence said) the floodgates would open.