Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dont know how else I can help...maybe someone can advise

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2005, 08:43 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Dont know how else I can help...maybe someone can advise

Last edited by darms; 19 September 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 27 October 2005, 09:23 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe there is a cifas marker you can request to be put on a credit file, but all that happens when this is done, they dont automatically accept the credit, it gets refered to a credit underwriter, whilst it could get accepted, its a human looking at all previous debts, not a computer that just see's a potentially good customer.

again next problem is that you need to get her to do that through experian and equifax, the way round that I suppose would be to get her to sign a declaration stating that her husband can look after her finances (cant remember what its called, fast bloke will know) because of her current state you may be able to get a doctor to do this for you?

sorry not a direct answer but it may help?

good luck
Old 27 October 2005, 10:40 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best idea would be to set up a PO BOX at the post office and get all the home mail delivered there. Then you can go and pick it up and go through the mail before she sees it to get hold of any credit cards that might come through.

Grandmother had to do this recently when grandfather wouldnt stop sending money off to those places that say "send us 20 quid and you will win 10000 quid". Also register with the mailing preference service (google will find it) and make sure you dont get letters sent to the house from random credit card companies. I know this wont stop everything (like magazine ads, tv, etc) but its a start.

Dave
Old 27 October 2005, 10:50 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Limited power of attorney
Old 27 October 2005, 10:52 AM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

I can totally sympathise with your brothers situation as I have been in a very simular position.

To cut a long story short, my misses had been spending money over a period of about 5/6 years becuase of depression brought on by work (not her own business). Credit cards, catalogues, store cards anyway she could spend money as it made her feel better. The situation spiraled out of control and by the time I found out she had racked up about 30k.

I've now managed to pay most of it off (with the help of a re-mortgage and a dip into savings) but fear that it could so easily happen again. I don't want to make light of your sister-in-laws situation but it is an illness, and the only way to stop her is with her co-operation. I tried the experian route and was subscribed to thier site but they changed the rules earler this year preventing me tracking her credit and now can only access my own.

The post re-direct is a good idea as this is how my misses kept me in the dark for so long, up earlier first to the post, hide anything she didn't want me to see.

Becuase of her hospital stay you may be able to get power of attorney over her finances but the problem is with the way that the borrowing culture exists in this country at the moment their is always going to be someone that will throw money at her.

I wish you and your brother luck :-)
Old 27 October 2005, 10:58 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by darms; 19 September 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 27 October 2005, 11:00 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

You might get some more useful info here

http://www.debtadvicebureau.org.uk/