Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tonsils out

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2005, 05:19 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tonsils out

Oh dear, looks like I'm having this done. Doc reckons I'll need 2 weeks off work! Anyone else had a tonsillectomy as an adult?
Old 26 October 2005, 06:27 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

No - But remember t hurt like hell as a seven year old. However I don't believe they feed you dry toast any more!!
Old 26 October 2005, 07:36 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Kev's Mrs here - I had my tonsils out 3 years ago, it is not very pleasant at the time and it took a good 3 weeks for me to feel better. Only after I got over the operation did I realise how poorly I had felt for years. My personal experience was that I had to have dry rough foods (ie toast) before they would let me home, it doesn't hurt as much as you think it will though would recommend trying to eat about 15 - 20 mins after taking painkillers. Hope this is of some use to you - good luck.
Old 27 October 2005, 10:04 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Oh dear, looks like I'm having this done. Doc reckons I'll need 2 weeks off work! Anyone else had a tonsillectomy as an adult?
Yes - I was 25 and it really was very uncomfortable for a while (I had a quincy (spelling) so had to have tonsils out.
Old 11 November 2005, 05:36 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

They're coming out this afternoon.... can't sleep
Old 11 November 2005, 09:02 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Good luck.

The recovery was the most painful thing I've ever been through, by a very long way. Glad I had it done, but I seriously underestimated the recovery time.
Old 11 November 2005, 09:09 AM
ChrisB

Girlfriends Sister had her's out about six months ago. Had to eat toast before they'd let her home, something to do with breaking up blood clots IIRC.
Old 11 November 2005, 09:12 AM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Don't worry too much mate. My friend's just had his out a few weeks ago - God rest his soul!
Only kidding, he was in a bit of discomfort for the first couple of days, but the pain killers did the trick.
He's totally fine now, sleeps really well at night and so does his misses as he doesn't snore anymore.

He says it does feel weird as he can feel he has lots of space now at the back of his mouth
Old 11 November 2005, 09:45 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys (I think!)

They're keeping me in overnight in case it bleeds, and so they can give me morphine! Apparently they make sure you can eat without causing a bleed before they'll let you home. Still, should be in for some top notch pampring from the missus this w/e

moose - were you on painkillers?
Old 11 November 2005, 09:50 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I,m on painkillers at the mo,, teeth out

bloody sore throat though (from the tube)

still no more dentists cant be bad !!

Mart
Old 11 November 2005, 10:00 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Morphines over rated, sorry guys. I had some when i had my wisdom teeth out a couple of weeks ago.

My other half had her tonsils out about 2 years ago. Recovery took about 2 or 3 weeks although she did get an infection. Make sure you get either Difflam or Oraldene mouth wash. I remember that helped her a lot.

Good luck!
Old 11 November 2005, 10:01 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
Morphines over rated, sorry guys. I had some when i had my wisdom teeth out a couple of weeks ago.

My other half had her tonsils out about 2 years ago. Recovery took about 2 or 3 weeks although she did get an infection. Make sure you get either Difflam or Oraldene mouth wash. I remember that helped her a lot.

Good luck!
co codamol 60/500 wheeee
Old 11 November 2005, 10:16 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
co codamol 60/500 wheeee
You beat me by 10!

I'm on the 50/500's

Anyone else want to play prescription Top Trumps?
Old 11 November 2005, 10:20 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
You beat me by 10!

I'm on the 50/500's

Anyone else want to play prescription Top Trumps?
sfunny ifound that the 50/500 had more oomph than the 60,s

i took 2 of the 50,s before and it was like walking through cotton wool
these 60,s dont seem to be doing muccccccccccccccccccccccccch.,.............

lol

Mart
Old 11 November 2005, 10:33 AM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

I had my tonsils out when I was 11 (in 1990), but I was about 11 stone at the time and fully grown. They put me on a ward with screaming winging kids and would only give me calpol as it was all that was allowed without the Dr's consent. But the calpol mixed with the amount of blood I swallowed (The suction tube didn't suck it up and I swallowed most of it) made me vomit so the small amount of painkiller I had came straight back up.
I didn't sleep at all during the night and the next morning forced down toast and cornflakes just so they would let me out (I then brought it all back up in the loo's but didn't even tell my mother cos I was so desperate to get home)
Once home and getting real painkillers in tablet form I was in bed for 2 weeks Easter holiday and then back to school.
Old 12 November 2005, 04:51 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Just to say it went really well... surgeon said it was an excellent dissection and I've actually experienced very little pain. Had two different anti-emetics on the table and another in recovery when I started feeling a bit queasy. Had a decent shot of morphine afterwards too - 8mg intravenously. That was quite an experience - I was seeing double for an hour or so! Managed to eat a decent amount of food a couple of hours later, and have been eating fine today too so all-in-all I think I got off quite lightly.

Oh yeah, I'm on 60/500 codeine/paracetamol and volterol seems to be an effective regime.
Old 12 November 2005, 05:03 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

i had the volterol when i had my back trouble along with the co codamol

this time its just the co co and neurophen a good combo when working.. but i forgot to tak a dose and its kicking off now!!!

btw dont take volterol on an empty stomach..

Mart
Old 12 November 2005, 05:48 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

had mine out in the summer, took 2 weeks to fully recover. it seemed to get better quite quickly and then take a turn for the worse a bit later. My advice would be keep taking the medication , even if you think you feel ok. Definately reccomend Difflam , that helped a lot. try and time your medication so that it's working in time for you to eat.

I had real trouble in the mornings with a Very dry throat, no amount of fluids would help. So i used to have a bowl of Jelly and Ice cream to start the day. This got it lubricated properly and i immediately felt better. Try and eat as normal as possible, i think it helps in the healing by washing away any nasty bits etc !

Iain
Old 12 November 2005, 09:02 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Just to say it went really well... surgeon said it was an excellent dissection and I've actually experienced very little pain. Had two different anti-emetics on the table and another in recovery when I started feeling a bit queasy. Had a decent shot of morphine afterwards too - 8mg intravenously. That was quite an experience - I was seeing double for an hour or so! Managed to eat a decent amount of food a couple of hours later, and have been eating fine today too so all-in-all I think I got off quite lightly.

Oh yeah, I'm on 60/500 codeine/paracetamol and volterol seems to be an effective regime.
Top, I hope you mean 30/500 Cocodamol?
Old 12 November 2005, 10:28 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Dry toast? They made me eat jelly and icecream when I had my tonsils out as a kid

John.
Old 13 November 2005, 01:08 AM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

I thought doctors were advising NOT to get your tonisls taken out these days ?

It was common practice back in the day, but hasn't there been a wide-spread reverse in the whole idea ?
Old 13 November 2005, 07:59 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Top, I hope you mean 30/500 Cocodamol?
Actually it's 60/1000 every 8 hours - I have seperate codeine and paracetamol.
Old 13 November 2005, 08:02 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Dry toast? They made me eat jelly and icecream when I had my tonsils out as a kid
You need to eat stuff that cleans all the sluff off your tonsils or you risk infection and subsequent bleeding!

I thought doctors were advising NOT to get your tonisls taken out these days ?
Yes they avoid it when they can - but mine were so big they were affecting my breathing and I kept getting really nasty bouts of tonsillitis.
Old 13 November 2005, 08:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad it went well Topbanana, I had mine out when I was three and they gave me semolina with hot jam in it to eat-nearly went through the roof!

Les
Old 14 November 2005, 08:02 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys (I think!)

They're keeping me in overnight in case it bleeds, and so they can give me morphine! Apparently they make sure you can eat without causing a bleed before they'll let you home. Still, should be in for some top notch pampring from the missus this w/e

moose - were you on painkillers?
The hospital-administered drugs were great, but standard over-the-counter stuff didn't help me. I had a week of total misery, I'm afraid to say.
Old 14 November 2005, 08:14 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I had mine out last Christmas. Apart from being sore, I was very tired. Lasted about 2-3 weeks, but I wasn't fully recovered for 2 months I think.

Best thing is that this year I have only had 1.5 days off work due to illness and it wasn't due to my throat!! Great stuff.

Good luck and keep taking the tablets. It will be worth it!