Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

had enough

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2005, 08:29 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had enough

ok bit of a long story but the short version is that my boss is a c**k , over the past few months he has treated me like crap, shouting and swearing at the top of his voice and just generally putting me down. Its only myself and him in our dept so the atmospehere is horrible. I have spoken to other people in the office about it and I have been told he has been through about 5 people in the last two years for the same thing. I spoke to the HR manager about it last week and he was saying because i am a contractor I am best to find another job and get out, he said that he will have words with him but doesnt thing there would be much done.

I havent had a holiday in months because of him, two weeks ago i asked for mon and tuesday off a week in adavance as its my sisters 21st I apologised for it being a weeks notice, but he said no as i hadnt planned it. Then on wed he buys a car and tell me that he is taking fri off to go and get it WTF !!!!!

On Monday I had to take a half day due to some personal problems and explained that i`d rather not tell him about it but could i get a half day, he said i could so i left. Yesterday for the whole day he treated my like crap and was making digs at me for skiving and swearing at me

the problem is that my work is suffering because of this as i cant work in this horrible enviroment, so i have spoken to the agency yesterday telling them what is happening and to find me a new job and i have started looking myself. So today im going to have it out with him and tell him that I will work to the end of the week or pref leave now.

Ok i will loose out on cash etc but atleast im not going to loose my sanity and get myself depressed.

Am i doing the right thing or should i just stick in there, but i know he is just going to get me down even more and its affecting my relationship with my g/f aswell as im down all the time.
Old 26 October 2005, 08:32 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

no **** that youve only got one life and i wouldnt want to spend it unhappy because of some tosspot

in a couple months you will look back and think to yaself that was the best move you made in ages, i bet your relationships/ kids are suffering becasue of it too
Old 26 October 2005, 08:33 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

get a new job pal. make sure you make a point of telling him what a pr1ck he is and to shove his job up his butt. otherwise the whole thing will get you down.
Old 26 October 2005, 08:36 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

I had a long hard think last night, (not much sleep) poor girlfirend. But decided today thats it !!! tempted just to walk out just now before he comes in but i want the satisfaction of telling him face to face what a D**K he is, four months of pure hell
Old 26 October 2005, 08:37 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

get the missis on side, that way when get home wont geta earbashing just a sympathetic ear, makes it a whole lot easier lol
Old 26 October 2005, 08:39 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

the missus is great but she sees that im down and she gets really down about it. She onced phoned in ill for me and the boss went mental at her, i was tempted to drive in to work and have it out with him but she wouldnt let me
Old 26 October 2005, 08:40 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

keep us posted. make sure you tell him what waster he is.
Old 26 October 2005, 08:40 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

first and foremost, it must be terrible to be in this position. I've been in this type of position but becasue I can be quite lary, it never came to anything.

How assertive are you? My interpretation from your post is that ;-

1. You're quite easy-going (but professional)
2. Young-ish (early 20s?)
3. Your boss is older

Your boss is the one with the attitude issue here, not you.

If I were you, I would be asking for a staff appraisal from your boss right now. Get him to document anything and everything. If the issue of taking time off crops up, remind him of his time off without due warning, but at the same time say, you don't mind, because you help each other out.

I would also be saying that if he continues to swear at you and abuse you, you will be complaining in writing to both the HR manager and the agency.

You could also find out from the Agency what there policy is for the mistreatment of placement staff. Are there any penalties for doing so? If so, what are they?

Then put this in the letter.

Unless I've misread your post, you are the innocent victim here. Stand up for yourself.

Hope this helps

Dan (all IMHO, of course!!! )
Old 26 October 2005, 08:43 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Of course, you could just jack it in, but then IMHO, he's won. Someone else will replace you, and he will continue to dish out the abuse.

Dan
Old 26 October 2005, 08:51 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

From an Equal Ops point of view, talk - no joy, go to HR -no joy, next step-formal complaint to EO. Go sick with stress-easily bluffable-cause toss boss. Make sure your all squared away and your work prior to the problem is not at fault.

The company will do one of a few things:

1. Flap and sort it out.
2. If not go for a Tribunal citing bullying!

DON'T LET THE B'STARD GRIND YOU DOWN!!!!!
Give as good as you get.
Old 26 October 2005, 08:53 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

ok keeping yas updated as this goes he`s just walked in and has asked me if i "have changed the f***ing backups" well it is my job so yeah.

Im actually crapping myself a bit on what im just away to do !!!!!

This is horrible i have never had to go through this before. Oh the learning curve of life aint it a bas

im 24 by the way lol
Old 26 October 2005, 08:56 AM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate
Old 26 October 2005, 08:59 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Agree that you should speak to him. dont let him get away with it. Good luck dude.
Old 26 October 2005, 09:06 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Just lay a fist on his nose after youve told him hes a ****.... Im sure that'll give you a much needed lift
Old 26 October 2005, 09:09 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

All the best, you will feel great once you have done it.

Try not to hit him ;-)
Old 26 October 2005, 09:15 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

Ok i think he knows whats happening, i asked for a quick word and closed the office door, his mobile phone went and its a personal call and instead of saying i`ll call you back he is now feet on desk laughing and joking away about his weekend.
Old 26 October 2005, 09:17 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

in a civil service job this would have been at tribunal now for bullying and harrassment. you don't have to take this ****e. equality of opportunity and all that. tell the HR manager you want to make a formal complaint against your boss. there is **** all he can do an cannot victimise you for making the complaint. shouting and ranting and raving and especially swearing is NOT on in a professional working environment.

I can't believe you are thinking of jacking in the job. Check the Equal Ops legislation, you do have options here. employers have a responsibility to ensure a safe and pleasant working environment. I can't emphsis enough the need to keep documentary evidence then take the company and your manager for all they are worth.
Old 26 October 2005, 09:20 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

I have complained but the HR manager was like it wont change he has done it before and will keep on doing it, and it actually just made it worse !!!!!
Old 26 October 2005, 09:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

In that case, the HR is totally useless. Go above them.

Dan
Old 26 October 2005, 09:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I would also now walk into his office and demand to speak to him. If he complains, ask him why he's taking a personal call on company time!!!!

Dan
Old 26 October 2005, 09:35 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

No expert here, but i would just sh@g his missus, take some photo's & send them to him !

He will end up attacking you & he will get sacked, you apply for his job & hey presto, problem solved
Old 26 October 2005, 09:37 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Smile

I agree, i wouldnt just quit, i'd try to get something done about it!

He cant get away with treating people like that, and if it does go further then the fact that 5 people have been in the same position as you and left just looks better for you!

Gav..

Eddited to add i wasnt agreeing with sti 04's comment although it is a great one
Old 26 October 2005, 09:38 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yeh but there would always be the thought of them both dipping their wicks in the the same pie [puke!!]

Dan
Old 26 October 2005, 09:39 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

go into his office and throw him up against the wall and tell him if he continues in this manner he'll get a kicking.
then level a charge of sexual harrassment on him just to top it off.
thats what i'd do. then cite all this that you've said and give him link to this thread so he knows what a **** we all think he is!
Old 26 October 2005, 09:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I would resist the temptation to thump him or tell him what you really think - hard as this might be. It could come back to haunt you. Just leave quietly and send a note to your agency stating the facts as a matter of record. Leave and take g/f out for nice meal to celebrate
Old 26 October 2005, 09:46 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing to do is keep calm whenever he is abusive to you. Keep calm, and listen to what he says - don't start thinking about your reply until he has finished so you take all of his message in. Then you can make a note of exactly what he has said.

If you want to push him into putting one on you and getting himself sacked then there are a few ways you can wind him up without appearing to wind him up. Stand closer to him than you normally would when he is talking to you - invade his personal space (and watch him take a step backwards). When you reply to him, if he is angry and agitated, reply in the calmest most polite way possible - this really winds people up and finally - work to rule. You are a contractor so you know all about that

Hope it all works out for the best
Old 26 October 2005, 09:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL - Skyline, you an expert at winding people up are you?
Old 26 October 2005, 10:31 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Get him on a dictaphone and give it to his boss, let them know what a w@nker they are employing..
Old 26 October 2005, 12:48 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever seen Fight Club???
Old 26 October 2005, 01:18 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would also now walk into his office and demand to speak to him. If he complains, ask him why he's taking a personal call on company time!!!!

Dan
Really smart idea

...at which point he says.... "and just why are you posting on Scoobynet on company time"