Wrong account info

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 04:07 PM
scoobys20mgh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong account info

Quick question,
My mate has given me the incorrect account details for a transfer, the money's left my account but as he gave me duff info, it's gone somewhere else!!!

Am I entitled to the money back??

Mike
Old 24 October 2005, 04:16 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Basically you're stuffed!

Unless the person that receives it is feeling honest and says to their bank "This isn't mine please take it back" or else the account details he gave you don;t exist at all so it comes bouncing back to you.

We had it at work where a colleague gave the wrong account number to payroll. Her salary has gone to someone else, who refuses to give it back. Only way to get it is a court order, but that needs to be served on the bank as we don;t know who received the money!

Its understandable why the bank can't just take the money back as it could have been a genuinue transaction where you as pater decided after the event to change your mind.
Old 24 October 2005, 04:26 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The same thing happened to someone here at work. I can't remember what bank she was with it was but basically she made a payment and it was deducted from her account. Then she found out the account number was incorrect and in fact didn't even exist at all! Instead of being automatically returned the money went into some kind of default holding account at the bank and it took them weeks to trace it and return it!

I guess the key thing here is for them to find out if the account number you used actually exists or not before deciding what action to take!
Old 24 October 2005, 06:57 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Same thing has happened to me in the past, the bank (First Direct in that case) have a sort of catchment account where all misdirected or incorrect transfers go.

After answering a couple of security questions like how much was it, what reference, my name, etc they plonked it straight in the right account there and then.
Old 24 October 2005, 07:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

not so peeps..

i gave my wages dept the wrong account number for my bank,

the wages were duly paid into the wrong account.

what happened is that my co contacted the bank who confimed the transfer, they then wrote to the account the monay was paid into and gave notifiaction of payment in error and withdrawl of said overpayment. it was that simple.

all this talk of you cant get it back is crap, if you have an overpayment into your account, and you knowingly spend or withdraw the money its theft, its been proven in law, so its not liable to change.

Mart
Old 24 October 2005, 11:36 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

You need to contact your bank, I believe it's a BACS recall they do.
Old 24 October 2005, 11:45 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Agree with Mart, someone paid £3500 into my first direct account, 3 days later it was taken away again.

Im sure buried in the pile of terms of service you agreed to banks can recall funds if paid incorrectly.

Ring your bank now!
Old 25 October 2005, 07:47 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Mart is correct IF THE ACCOUNT NUMBER EXISTS. If it doesn't exist then it goes into a secret stash at the bank and you have to request it back!
Old 25 October 2005, 08:16 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
We had it at work where a colleague gave the wrong account number to payroll. Her salary has gone to someone else, who refuses to give it back. Only way to get it is a court order, but that needs to be served on the bank as we don;t know who received the money!
Sounds like your payroll people are ripping off you guys .

If you get money paid into your account by accident and you refuse to give it back it's theft - you'd end up in jail !

Unless of course you work outside the UK