Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

what makes you proud to be british?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2005, 01:30 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking what makes you proud to be british?

just heard land of hope and glory on classic fm still makes me proud despite what nl have done to this country .can you think of anything that still makes u proud to be british
Old 23 October 2005, 01:42 AM
stevenrsturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
just heard land of hope and glory on classic fm still makes me proud despite what nl have done to this country .can you think of anything that still makes u proud to be british
PLEASE DELETE THIS POST<<

It is now illegal to be proud of your heritage and nationallity if you are white in britain,
Old 23 October 2005, 01:55 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Sad to say it but I seem to be struggling somewhat on this one!
Not so long ago, I would have said freedom of speech but this no longer seems to apply!
Bloomin' heck, this is quite depressing actually, surely there must be SOMETHING?
Old 23 October 2005, 02:15 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Pie and mash
Old 23 October 2005, 06:30 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

" It is now illegal to be proud of your heritage and nationallity if you are white in britain " i agree
Old 23 October 2005, 07:16 AM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

A Somalian arrives in Leicester as a new immigrant to the United Kingdom.

He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank

you Mr Englishman for letting me in this country!"
But the passer-by says "You are mistaken, I am a Pakistani".

The man goes on and encounters another passer-by; "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Britain!"

The person says "I no Blitish. I flom Hong Kong."

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes
his hand and says "Thank you for the wonderful Britain!"
That person puts up his hand and says "I am from Iran, I am not British!"

He finally sees a nice lady and asks suspiciously, "Are you a British citizen?"
She says, "No, I am from Romania!" So he is puzzled, and asks her,
"Where are all the British?"

The Romanian lady looks at her watch, shrugs, and says...
"Probably at work."

know that makes me proud to british !!!
Old 23 October 2005, 07:28 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is anything to be proud of anymore...sad but proberbly true
Old 23 October 2005, 07:43 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

I'm proud to pay through the nose supporting a nation of *******
Old 23 October 2005, 09:27 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

fish n chips

The fact that the tax payer pays for my life

Dan (saying "thanks!")
Old 23 October 2005, 10:03 AM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

I'm struggling myself for recent concepts.

Personally I'm Scottish first, British second and European third.

Here's a few "plus-points" that spring to mind anyway :

Our countryside and its diversity and bio-diversity.
Our generally gregarious indiginous nature.
Our media.
Our heritage and history of innovation, but that would take reams to fill.

K.
Old 23 October 2005, 10:23 AM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

I don't know about everyone else, but I am proud to be English first and then proud to be British.
Old 23 October 2005, 10:23 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Deary me, obviously not a great deal going for Britain if the only comments you folk can make are about illegal immigrants.....
Old 23 October 2005, 10:25 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

sadly seems all the good things about this country are firmly in the past now. all this 'multi cultrism' bull****e means its fine to be proud to be african/pakastani/indian as soon as you declare you are proud to be british this goverment brands you racist

soon labour will have their way and there wont be any british people left 582000 immigrants into the uk and 286000 brits left this country last year. and thats goverment figures soyou can bet the actual figures are higher

will the last one to leave turn the lights out
Old 23 October 2005, 10:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think back to earlier days when people actually were prepared to like each other and to think of others as well as themselves. They had a pride in their jobs and also how they behaved and also their appearance. Children were respectful to thier elders and generally good mannered even though they still had that bit of natural mischief in their make up.

If the country was threatend as in the World wars people regarded it as a duty to defend their country and their families without question.

Politicians entered the House more for altruistic reasons and their efforts were generally directed towards improving the lives of the whole of the electorate. They were actually trusted too! they were expected to be of good character as an example to the rest of the country. Any sign of poor character and they were out-instantly.

The public took a pride in their surroundings and would not dream of dropping litter or vandalising other people's property.

Foreigners were welcomed and treated with good manners. People assessed a person by their character and not their origins.

Schooling was of a high standard, and it was directed towards what suited a child's personal talents and the direction that was best in later life for that child.

The standard of living was nowhere near as high as now, but that did not matter because most were prepared tp accept their own way of life and took pleasure in that. People counted their blessings rather than looking for something to complain about and made the most of what they had. They were still prepared to try to improve their lives however.

Shops sold items at a fair price instead of trying to rip you off on sight.

The police were respected and liked by most of the people who were grateful to them for their fair minded treatment in a situation where they were prepared to use a common sense approach to sorting it all out rather than acting purely "by numbers".

This may all sound like some kind of a pipe dream but it is what this country was like not so many years ago. Believe me it was a much happier place and children were safe when they were playing away from home. It was also safe to walk the streets at any time of the day or night, and there was always a copper somewhere in sight anyway. Have we really improved things today?

Unlike our present greedy and acquisitive times, there always seemed something worthwhile to strive for with the thought that anything was possible if you thought for yourself rather than thinking that the World owed you a living. There seemed to be a lot more satisfaction in what you might achieve. PC was unheard of, in fact it would have been laughed out of court! If someone was caught out doing something that they shouldn't, they used to feel ashamed.

I still have hopes that this country could become a better place to live in should attitudes change in times to come.

I am proud of this country because of its great past and what I still think it can achieve in the future.

Les
Old 23 October 2005, 10:36 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

im proud of the fact that despite all the problems, there are places that are an effing lot worse to live...!!!
Old 23 October 2005, 10:37 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Winning the Rugby World Cup

Winning the Ashes
Old 23 October 2005, 10:56 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I am proud to be British / English because of our history. Look at how we have changed the world today with the British Empire etc. Much of my past family history is military, and several of my relatively recent family tree have given their lives fighting for this country and defending it's principles and interests.

In all honestly seeing the direction the country is going in now makes me sad. I am sure when our ancestor's laid down thier lives for this nation they did not expect to see it in this state. I am not even especially proud of democracy anymore. It's all just spin, short-term thinking, propaganda and brainwashing of the stupid etc.

All those things that used to make us great, such as respect, manners, honour etc have all been thrown away recently. Call me a racist if you like, I couldn't care less, but I believe there is a relationship between MASS immigration and loss of national pride and respect for the country. Check out that other thread about a riot in Birmingham. Says more about the country than I possibly could here.

This is a country in decline. So what if our economy is strong - that can all turn sour very quickly and then what are we left with? I dread to think what it's going to be like here in another couple of decades.
Old 23 October 2005, 10:56 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Azyman
A Somalian arrives in Leicester as a new immigrant to the United Kingdom.

He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank

you Mr Englishman for letting me in this country!"
But the passer-by says "You are mistaken, I am a Pakistani".

The man goes on and encounters another passer-by; "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Britain!"

The person says "I no Blitish. I flom Hong Kong."

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes
his hand and says "Thank you for the wonderful Britain!"
That person puts up his hand and says "I am from Iran, I am not British!"

He finally sees a nice lady and asks suspiciously, "Are you a British citizen?"
She says, "No, I am from Romania!" So he is puzzled, and asks her,
"Where are all the British?"

The Romanian lady looks at her watch, shrugs, and says...
"Probably at work."

know that makes me proud to british !!!
Well thank you for your racist post, it was good of you to share your prejudices and insecurities with us.

This week commemorates the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar and yet that was the best you could come up with?

Whilst it's not in our nature to really crow about our achievements, we have shaped the modern world more than maybe any other country and quite out of proportion for our size. And before you say it, history is something we can be proud of and no political party or government can take away from us.

As a motoring related website we can be proud of the British automotive industry (even if it's not necessarily owned by the British anymore). Iconic brands such as Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lotus. We contribute the most to sport of motor racing, especialy the high tech side (F1: Williams, MacLaren, Jordan/Midland, BAR/Honda, Renault, Red Bull, Cosworth, Ilmor, Cart/A1: Lola, WRC - Ford/M-Sport, Mitsubishi/Raliart, Subaru/Prodrive, Suzuki/?, not to mention a whole load of top notch suppliers to those teams). And that's just in the automotive world.
Old 23 October 2005, 11:00 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynut555
I don't know about everyone else, but I am proud to be English first and then proud to be British.
I was just wondering if anyone would mention this, you're a brave man, you'll have the PC police hunting you down now, but i know exactly what you mean, and agree with you entirely.
Old 23 October 2005, 11:10 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynut555
Agree!
Would NEVER describe myself as British anymore if I could help it as the term means absolutely nothing to me!
Half the world seems to hold a British passport & it infuriates me beyond belief!
Proud to be English though, yeah sure!
The English sense of humour just can't be beaten & it IS cool to have a history & heritage that Americans can only dream of, coupled with the perverse kind of sense of superiority that still brings a smile to peoples' faces at the mention of words like Trafalgar' or 'Agincourt", as any excuse to remember thrashing the cr*p out of the French is still cause for celebration!
Old 23 October 2005, 11:12 AM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

proud of chicken tikka mossalla, the best dish in the world !!!!!also proud to wear clothes instead of sheets , ninja uniforms, pyjamas, sandals(come on seroiusly in our climate) the obligitory eastern block leather jacket and shell suit pants,tea cossy etc etc
Old 23 October 2005, 11:22 AM
richiewong
Twatful

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills
And was Jerusalem builded there
Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow (my bow) of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my (my) sword sleep in hand
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

Old 23 October 2005, 11:46 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
Well thank you for your racist post, it was good of you to share your prejudices and insecurities with us.
Shutup you nobber, it's a friggin joke!
Old 23 October 2005, 11:46 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Quite so richiewong & note......it's 'England's' green & pleasant bl**dy land......ENGLAND'S!!!
(As inhabited by the ENGLISH!)
Old 23 October 2005, 12:49 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King RA
I thought an important requirement of jokes was that they be funny? That was simply a) wrong, and b) offensive. To point out the mildly obvious, most of the people not working in this country were born here, and despite what you might read in Mein Kampf, sorry, the Daily Mail, the majority of immigrants have come here to work, doing jobs the aforementioned Brits won't do.

M
Old 23 October 2005, 12:58 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Errrrrr No. and Land of Hope and f****** glory. Please. Just sit down this afternoon and get out your directors cut of 'Zulu' you know, the one with extra death. Always makes me cry with pride that one.
Old 23 October 2005, 01:10 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

The proudest moments in my life of being BRITISH is fighting side by side my fellow paratroopers in far and distant ****holes.
The worst,coming home and listening to some of you ****ing morons spouting your racist garbage thats been fed to you by some 2 bit filth peddler disguising themselves as journalists.
Old 23 October 2005, 01:15 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

The industrial revolution is what I think I'm proudest of along with our determination to persevere and our ingenuity through WWII.

It shames me to see the PWT chav scum that roam the streets these days and to know so many of our grandparents died trying to defend this place thats now rotting with racism and laziness with the nationals blaming immigrants for thier own apathy.

No wonder people treat this place like crap, its hard to be proud of whats happening here thanks to the Blair idiot.

AllanB
Old 23 October 2005, 01:39 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Proud to be British because of all that has gone before in terms of our achievements and innovations.

I'm not however proud to be English because all that sums up for me is a country full of layabout, work dodging,loud mouthed, beer swilling, football hooligan,chav attitude, *** smoking, greedy, numbskulls, hell bent on bringing down what was once a great nation.

Andy
Old 23 October 2005, 01:40 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
A foreigner arrives in London as a visitor to the United Kingdom after reading Scoobynet.

He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "You must be an economic migrant from another country!"
The passer-by says "Eh bah gum soft lad, I'm from Yorkshire and proud of it".

The man goes on and encounters another passer-by; "Are you an economic migrant from another country?"
The person says "Nah mate, I'm from Essex."

The visitor walks further, and the next person he sees he stops and says "You must be an economic migrant from another country!"
"Bollocks mun, I'm a Welshman, proper tidy-like"

He finally sees a nice lady and asks suspiciously, "Are you an economic migrant?"
"God no, I'm a scouser"

So he is puzzled, and asks her, "Where are all the ecomonic migrants?"

The Liverpool lady looks at her watch, shrugs, and says...
"Probably at work."

Quick Reply: what makes you proud to be british?