Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting petrol out of a diesel car

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2005, 11:49 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting petrol out of a diesel car

now that my dad has carefully filled his diesel up with petrol, does anyone know of any good independant places in the wokingham/reading area that would be good to get it flushed?

don't want to take it to the main dealer cos they'll probably rip him off by changing everything under the bonnet, and to avoid any future problems with warranty claims should they arise.

thanks in advance for any help
Old 22 October 2005, 10:39 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

totally or partially??

what car, what diesel pump....

some diesels are very tolerant of petrol (seat actually reccomed using up to 30% petrol over winter to thin the diesel)

fyou can do it yourself with a hose and some drums, just syphon the diesel outr and run a gallon of 4 star through,

hope this helps

Mart
Old 22 October 2005, 11:52 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

PL autos in Cardiff Road, Reading (next to Cow Lane Bridge) are worth talking to.

D
Old 22 October 2005, 12:33 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Got any mates with a diesel car? With diesel at £0.90 p/litre they might well come over and help for free

Note if the filler pipe has a restriction get to the fuel sender unit and drop suction hose into the tank that way.

PS and I'm sure Mart meant unleaded and not 4 Star (or LRP) which will do even more damage on a newish car

Last edited by David Lock; 22 October 2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 22 October 2005, 01:26 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Got any mates with a diesel car? With diesel at £0.90 p/litre they might well come over and help for free
Why? He has filled his diesel car up with petrol

We have a fleet of Ford Focus's at work and this has happened many times...... In fact on the Focus, if the engine is run, apparently it buggers the pump and can be a costly repair. If he realised before driving off, then its simply a case of syphoning it out.
Old 22 October 2005, 01:41 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman

Why? He has filled his diesel car up with petrol

Well done for spotting my deliberate mistake (senior moment!)

Could I change my post to read:

Got any mates with a petrol car? With petrol at £0.90 p/litre they might well come over and help for free.............
Old 22 October 2005, 01:44 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well done for spotting my deliberate mistake (senior moment!)

Could I change my post to read:

Got any mates with a petrol car? With petrol at £0.90 p/litre they might well come over and help for free.............
I knew what you meant, I'm just being pedantic!
Old 22 October 2005, 02:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know - pedantic old sod

The irony is I have just bought my first ever diesel and after 30 years of just pulling the petrol nozzle from the pump I am terrified of filling the 205 td up with petrol. Got labels everywhere!!

My old mum put diesel in her petrol by mistake years ago. The AA turned up and just syphoned it down the nearest drain. Should have been shot - probably stuffed up the local water supply for some time
Old 22 October 2005, 03:23 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a garage called "Northcourt Garage" on Northcourt Road - it's off the Shinfield Road near Leighton Park School and the University.

It's a family business (father and sons I think) and they are really nice - and are very well run when I've been there watching! They have quite a range of cars in there and do a good job at a fraction of dealership prices - would recommend them.
Old 22 October 2005, 03:44 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT run the car anymore as Mart has said.
It is easy to sort but some pumps are less tolerant to petrol than others.
If you cannot do the job yourself then you need somebody to come to you. If the engine has only run for five mins since filling it should be OK.
Deizle fuel has high lubricity. Petrol does not. Some deizle injector pumps have very fine tolerances. There will be an in tank fuel pump and then the injector pump on the system subject to make of vehicle.

All the fuel has to be removed from the tank via syphon, pumping as described but obviously not by using the vehicle pump.
Refill with deizle and then bleed the fuel supply to the injector pump.
At that point, after bleeding the injector pump it should be OK.

The AA may help if your Dad is a member but if a garage does it, it should not be too expensive, a couple of hours at most.

The good news for you is that you can use the petrol in your car even though it is mixed with deizle but only use a couple of gallons to a full tank.
I have had about 20 galls like this recently, both times from Mercs and my girlfriend is still using it up in here Corsa.

In countries where it gets very cold, eg Hungary, adding petrol to deizle is common practice.
P.S. Do not try this as a performance enhancing dodge because in fact it will degrade the performance as the mix combusts more easily.