Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kids and what you let them watch and surf

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2005, 10:53 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kids and what you let them watch and surf

Just saw the video for 'Perople are Strange', the Echo and the Bunnymen version from the Lost boys which is one of my favourite films, I dug my video of it out and asked the wife if she thought it was ok for our ten year old (not the other two who are younger) but she said no as its a 15 certificate, we allow a bit of leeway and watch things first to see if we think they are suitable. He has seen Van Helsing and Alien versus Predator at friends houses and I would say that the Lost Boys isnt any scarier or more graphic, if anything its pretty tame nowadays.

I personally would be happier with them watching the Lost Boys or AVP in preference to F*ckin Eastenders (and its ilk) which is the complete pits of human depravity and is shown well before the watershed with its murder, rape, incest, fraud, violence, Kat Slater etc

Also on the subject of internet access, we have a few pc's but the kids pc has all internet access disabled, the main one has internet and they are allowed on supervised, they are however asking for their own pc's but we are very reluctant to allow this to happen, even when not internet connected they will just spend all day (given a chance) stuck in front of a screen (sounds familiar). I really dont want my kids on the internet unsupervised, a guy at work lets his 11 and 15 year olds have unchecked access from their bedrooms, God knows what they will be looking at, and 11 year old surfing on some of the gruesome sites the net has to offer doesnt bear thinking about, I have seen stuff that has disturbed me and I am 34, I know not to look anymore but an 11 year old would not have that restraint. I would fully expect the 15 year old lad to **** himself into a coma within a week.

Makes you wonder whether seeing some of that kind of stuff would completely f*ck them up or make them more careful later in life, or both ?

How do you lot deal with it ?
Old 18 September 2005, 11:05 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have Norton Parental Control.
Old 18 September 2005, 02:02 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

I would say don't give them internet access in their bedrooms.

Keep it in the main living area so you can keep an eye on what they are looking for.
It really isn't worth the risk.
I wouldn't let them have a pc until they were older either.
Not until they need it for essays and stuff.
If they want to play games I'm sure you could get them a playstation if they haven't got one already.

As for watching films... you'll just have to keep an eye on what you think your kids can cope with.
I used to watch lots of 18 films when we had a baby sitter! My mum and dad would have gone nuts but there was no harm really.
I agree that there is so much crap on tv they have been exposed to a lot of what you are trying to avoid already.

cath
Old 18 September 2005, 02:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Got the PC in the lounge where I can monitor what the kids have been looking at. They are also banned fro deleting any history on their accounts.

As theyre pretty good anyway I hopefully dont have much to worry about.

Chip
Old 18 September 2005, 08:45 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

When I was a nipper bar extreme stuff I was allowed to watch pretty much anything I wanted (remember watching Nightmare on Elm Street 4 when I was about 9, on ym own, crapping myself, good stuff).

Never really did me any harm, don't think I turned out to be any sort of social reject

Also depends on the child and how they will react to what they see.
Old 18 September 2005, 09:02 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobypreza
I would say don't give them internet access in their bedrooms.

Keep it in the main living area so you can keep an eye on what they are looking for.
Or who they're talking to. Kids have their own logins on a PC in a "family room". We have parental control and they're banned from pseudo-chatrooms, e.g. habbo hotel. They use MSN to talk to their friends - that's bad enough!!
Old 18 September 2005, 09:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm chatrooms, well dodgy !

I wonder how many times two middle aged bus drivers have groomed each other in a chat room, each beleiving the other to be a teenage girl ?
Old 18 September 2005, 09:19 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

got my eldest daughter (5) a mac. Tiger (Mac's OS) allows the administrator to set up a list of sites the user can view.
Set up sites like Barbie, 5.tv/Milkshake, CBeebies and MSN for speaking to my family on line (webcam) - we've got family abroad., so it's a cheap way to stay in touch. Unless she logs in as Administrator, she can't look at anything else. I love Mac

She can't do anything else with it. However, if she asks (when she's MUCH older!!!!), I will show her some of the darker sides of the Internet, and help her learn why it isn't allowed.

My kids are still at the stage where it really is kids' tv - ScoobyDoo is about as scarey as it gets! But tbh, our TV is usually on for ambient effect rather than viewing - kids are usually outside or in the playroom. Certainly won't let them watch stuff that I feel is inappropriate. But again, when the time comes, I'll explain why. (no aerial in my house, so Sky is the only option - on MY TV!!!! )

Dan
Old 18 September 2005, 09:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Lost Boys, excellent film
I have parental controls on the pc and my hubby and I tend to decide what is suitable for them to watch. We are not really strict, as I don't think films can influence kids, tbh.