Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Junior School question...

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 07:07 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default British Junior School question...

Do they still have Hymn practice every morning and country dancing lessons every week? Or was that just my old school?
I`m wondering what my daughter has instore with New GB....
Old 10 September 2005, 07:14 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn’t have thought they would still do hymns because it’s probably classed as inciting religious hatred or something. And as for the country dancing what kind of weird school did you go to??
Old 10 September 2005, 07:15 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Did you do your schooling under the reign of George III ?

I'll tell you what annoyed me about school...RE . There should be a tickbox on school application forms asking parents if they want to either have their kids waste thier education on religious mumbo-jumbo, or would they prefer their kids to spend the 2 or so lessons a week on another non-claptrap subject instead, such as maths or science, (or for wimmins, domestic science).
Old 10 September 2005, 07:17 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy

I'll tell you what annoyed me about school...RE . There should be a tickbox on school application forms asking parents if they want to either have their kids waste thier education on religious mumbo-jumbo, or would they prefer their kids to spend the 2 or so lessons a week on another non-claptrap subject instead, such as maths or science, (or for wimmins, domestic science).
I think kids should be brought up to respect other peoples religion regardless of whether they believe in it (or whether their parents decide for them not to believe it). And the only way to respect it is to learn a bit about it. Therefore RE shouldnt be optional at all
Old 10 September 2005, 07:18 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

And just for the record we did country dancing and stuff at my junior school and i'm only 23 so its not that uncommon..
Old 10 September 2005, 07:26 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Supra, kids shopuld be brought up to be aware of other peoples religions, but in no way should they be taught to respect them. In fact, if kids were taught to be aware of people that were religious, the world would be a better place
Old 10 September 2005, 07:38 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Supra, kids shopuld be brought up to be aware of other peoples religions, but in no way should they be taught to respect them. In fact, if kids were taught to be aware of people that were religious, the world would be a better place
well then thats the problem with modern day society , nobody has respect for anybody anymore... thats why most youths are brought up to be complete *ssholes
Old 10 September 2005, 07:47 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

^ Bollocks.

If kids hadn't spent the time they did learning about some ficticious charachter getting up after being dead for three days, and were given lessons on social interaction, sound carrers advice, etc, from an early age ( not just a toe-dip into the world of jobs in the last year ), then they might not grow up to be the arseholes they are.
Old 10 September 2005, 09:06 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed Chip thats why I asked.
Im 28 and went to a normal school in a normal midlands town, it always mistified me why we did country dancing, if we had been taught a language instead I would probably be fluent now.
Also is it true bah bah black sheep has been censored?
Old 10 September 2005, 09:15 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Perhaps a letter to the head?

I would do it, I don't really have any control over my daughter's education, but if I did, I would be asking the school to bin her from any religious ****e

Line dancing isn't so bad.......that's social interaction
Old 10 September 2005, 10:00 PM
a1oku
Scooby Regular

there is provision for parents to opt their children out of religious assemblies and re classes already.
Old 10 September 2005, 10:15 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by a1oku
there is provision for parents to opt their children out of religious assemblies and re classes already.
Good, about time aswell. With any luck DOC will opt his kid out. Far better things to teach kids about than that load of old tripe.

And to any < insert name of "life for Dummies" manual here > bashers on here....

Wake up.....
Old 10 September 2005, 11:14 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

It was through RE lesson that I realised the religion I had been brought up in was wrong. My RE teacher was also my Sunday School teacher, her face was a right picture when I told her I didn't beleive in God. In RE lessons they taught us about all religions and how they were possibley created to explain the "unexplainable" this struck a chord with me and I realised I was being fobbed off.
Old 11 September 2005, 01:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I belive my old C Of E school still does - very old fashioned primary school. We had the lot, hymns, bible readings, prayers for morning and lunch. Think I've managed to block most of that from my memory

RE is handy for learning why Muslims blow themselves up, why Jews are continually persectuted money lenders, why cows are sacred, and why material possesions such as badly chavved up scoobys will not lead you to enlightenment
Old 11 September 2005, 02:41 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I belive my old C Of E school still does - very old fashioned primary school. We had the lot, hymns, bible readings, prayers for morning and lunch. Think I've managed to block most of that from my memory

RE is handy for learning why Muslims blow themselves up, why Jews are continually persectuted money lenders, why cows are sacred, and why material possesions such as badly chavved up scoobys will not lead you to enlightenment
Agree, I think RE is worthwhile, it's just all the other C of E / RC bullsh1t (morning hyms etc)...that annoys me.

Why not make it all optional, not for parents to choose, but for the kids to make the decision. Like options, only earlier, and not for french/chemistry etc like you do in high school.
That way, if a parent has a personal preference, they can inform and influence their children to make their 'own' decision at school by already having had a reasoned debate (if that's possible with a 4 /5 year old).
As the years go by, the pupils should be asked the same question, and have the option to continue.

for me, religious education is a total waste of productive schooling time.

JM2PW.

C
Old 11 September 2005, 10:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My son did PSRE, Personal, Social and Religious Education. Bit of religion in there mixed up with sex, drugs, the usual stuff.
Old 11 September 2005, 10:27 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Religious education is a waste of time, it confuses kids, why not just teach them morals outside the claptrap/mumbo jumbo, I do respect others beliefs, does not mean I have to beleive it myself. My kids went to the local church holiday club and that was just a way of indoctrinating them into it, fair play for the people giving up their time but there did seem to be an agenda.

It isnt the middle ages anymore.
Old 11 September 2005, 01:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Do they still have Hymn practice every morning and country dancing lessons every week? Or was that just my old school?
I`m wondering what my daughter has instore with New GB....
My sister is a primary school assistant and the thing she mentions the most is the number of tests.Always being tested.
Old 11 September 2005, 07:29 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Our Primary School has assembly everyday
twice a week the whole school have sharing assembly but it's not religious sharing things like birthdays, good pieces of work and anything interesting that has happened that week, once a week the KS2 have clergy assembly where the local vicar comes to take it, the other 2 assemblies it's up to the teacher who is taking it what they want to do.
Old 11 September 2005, 07:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+

Also is it true bah bah black sheep has been censored?

Along with "De Camptown Races".......
Old 11 September 2005, 08:24 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I went to a Catholic school for a while. I was taught that I am part of something much greater than myself, the importance of respect, to listen to your own conscience, and that there are consequences for your actions. How can something that aims to make people treat one another better be instantly dismissed as a load of bollocks?