Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Prince2

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 07:44 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prince2

Are there any Project Managers on here that are Prince2 qualified. I am currently in a PM role but have no official PM qualification as such and recently been made aware of P2.

Been searching the web but would appreciate any information etc on P2.

Cheers.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:17 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Are you really a PM?

http://www.ogc.gov.uk/prince2/
Old 25 August 2005, 08:44 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Not yet mate, got my training at work prob October.. Glaf they are paying for it..

Old 25 August 2005, 08:49 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Are you really a PM?

http://www.ogc.gov.uk/prince2/

Yes I am a PM and managed various types of projects over the past 10-15 years but more recently (past 3 years) been managing in house projects.

Been looking at the current job market and noticed that most PM positions require experience of P2.

Are you P2 qualified? I am very interested in doing the course but would like to know more about what P2 is and what is involved prior to paying out for it.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:58 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Talking Prince2

Just been on the Prince2 training course, good qualification for PM's to have, becoming very well recognised throughout the UK and Europe.

The course is very intense, loads of study, homework and oh so much writing especially for the practitioner exam....18 + pages of written A4 in 3 hours...

Sean
Old 25 August 2005, 08:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't waste any money on courses, for the foundation exam buy the book and just sit the exam at a test centre (Prometric) You need 38 correct out of 75 questions.

The practitioner exam is 3 questions, 50 marks each and you need 75 to pass , and it is open book.

I mean the courses are only 3-4 days long so if you have PM experience then it's just a matter of learning the terminology.
Old 25 August 2005, 10:22 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

What sort of project management..?...construction industry?
Old 26 August 2005, 08:16 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your responses. Think I will get the book and go for the Foundation exam and then decide on the Practitioner.

I started as a PM in Construction but now in Telecoms.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:14 AM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Yep

Originally Posted by Neil W
Are there any Project Managers on here that are Prince2 qualified. I am currently in a PM role but have no official PM qualification as such and recently been made aware of P2.

Been searching the web but would appreciate any information etc on P2.

Cheers.

I'm a Prince 2 practitioner. Did it about March last year. Very good in my opinion. The place where i worked (contractor) used a hybrid so didnt really put the documentation side to use.

The approach etc though is very worthwhile and the thing that struck me is that it can literally be used for anything, from building a house to an IT project. Definately gives you the knowledge to be more professional.

I use AIM academy based in the North West but I there will be others depending on your location.

Feel free to get in touch if you want more details

Cheers

Dave
Old 26 August 2005, 09:25 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

My ex employers stole the Prince 2 methodology, called it something else and I "qualified" 18months ago...
Off to an interview this afternoon for another Project Manager role for a major blue chip who use Prince2, so hoping they see through the formal qualification requirement and let my experience do the talking...
Old 26 August 2005, 09:27 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
My ex employers stole the Prince 2 methodology, called it something else and I "qualified" 18months ago...
Off to an interview this afternoon for another Project Manager role for a major blue chip who use Prince2, so hoping they see through the formal qualification requirement and let my experience do the talking...

Nice 1, good luck with the interview!
Old 26 August 2005, 09:30 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Personally, I use a system called Panic V1.2. It doesnt involve a PC as such, but it has an inbuilt notification system to ensure the project runs smoothly, and on time. These include the phone ringing itself off the hook,nasty faxes, and intimidating emails which may also detail penalty clauses or "dangled carrots".

It can also be integrated into a mobile phone, where incoming calls from "hot" projects can be set up to go straight to voicemail.

I have used it for the last 7 years on projects up to 100K to great effect, and it's free
Old 26 August 2005, 09:35 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Neil W
Nice 1, good luck with the interview!
Cheers buddy - remember, the critical path is not the cut through from the chippy into the local park where the hoodies hangout
All the best - P