Traffic Light camera flash on red&amber

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 12:25 AM
C4 WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Light camera flash on red&amber

Hi,

I was on the A406 tonight and was waiting at the lights at the front of the pack.
I pulled away a tad sharpish on the red & amber. I could have sworn i saw a flash in my rear view. I backed off slightly and about a second later saw a second flash.

Is anything likely to happen to me? I'm sure on the second flash the light would have been green.
Old 25 August 2005, 07:14 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Oh dear expect a fine in the post, would have been a drive through in a GP
Old 25 August 2005, 07:56 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Anything other than green means STOP
Old 25 August 2005, 08:18 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Some red light cameras are also Truvelo speed cameras so if it was a dual carriageway it could have been someone moving a little too quickly but to be honest I'd expect the worst if I were you.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:41 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Cant really see why they have the amber light anyway ? wouldnt it be easier just to have red and green, and maybe have the green flash before it is about to turn red to warn people its about to change, meaning - 'its flashing, so get ready to stop'

Amazing how many people dont know that amber doesnt mean 'go if you reckon you can make it'

Plus, with a straight red to green change, you could use them to hone you reaction skills for doing the 1/4 mile - would make stopping at lights much more interesting.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:45 AM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Nice idea Mike, but I reckon people would react in much the same way they do with an amber light, but even more so, by speeding up rather than slowing down to try and beat the red light.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:47 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

The amber light means stop but also indicates that traffic moving in the other direction is about to get the green light to go. Having a flashing green light will do exactly the same thing.
If people understood that the amber light doesn't mean get ready to stop and treated it as a stop instead of a "quickly speed up I might get through before the light goes red" then there would be a great reduction in junction accidents
Old 25 August 2005, 08:53 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
The amber light means stop but also indicates that traffic moving in the other direction is about to get the green light to go. Having a flashing green light will do exactly the same thing.
If people understood that the amber light doesn't mean get ready to stop and treated it as a stop instead of a "quickly speed up I might get through before the light goes red" then there would be a great reduction in junction accidents
Actually amber on its own means stop but only if you can stop safely. Amber and red i.e the next sequence after red means stop but get ready to go / green is coming. Straight from the HC:

[BOLD]AMBER means 'Stop' at the stopline. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident[/BOLD]

I know what you mean though and Ill admit if Im in a hurry Id rather speed up than stop.

Simon.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:57 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by C4 WRX
Hi,

I was on the A406 tonight and was waiting at the lights at the front of the pack.
I pulled away a tad sharpish on the red & amber. I could have sworn i saw a flash in my rear view. I backed off slightly and about a second later saw a second flash.

Is anything likely to happen to me? I'm sure on the second flash the light would have been green.
On traffic light cameras the pictures always include the lights concerned, if the first shot has no illuminated amber in it, you're (rightfully) screwed.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:17 AM
C4 WRX
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound good

I'm hoping the lorry in the left lane might have obscured the camera's view!
Old 25 August 2005, 09:31 AM
rizla06
Scooby Regular

I got flashed going through on amber/red about 7/8 months ago, I never heard a thing about it luckily
Old 25 August 2005, 09:39 AM
Shonen
Scooby Regular

Bad luck C4 sounds like you should be avoiding the postman for a bit.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:41 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Local Dutch definitions:

Light sequence for turning red is : green - amber - red
Light sequence for turning green is : red - green (no amber)

Amber here means speed up otherwise you'll have to sit at a red light for a few minutes, even though nothing else is coming from any of the other directions. Then, when the light goes green, only four of five cars can get through before it goes amber then red again. No surprise that for some traffic lights here you'll see 2-3 even sometimes upto 5 cars go through on red! This is what happens when incompetent local councils are allowed to control traffic signals.

If there's a camera, then amber means *stop* or get a small fine but no points.

Suresh
Old 25 August 2005, 11:04 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by class_A
Some red light cameras are also Truvelo speed cameras so if it was a dual carriageway it could have been someone moving a little too quickly but to be honest I'd expect the worst if I were you.
No red light camera at the moment will catch you for speeding. They do measure your speed if you jump a red light, they are not used to catch speeding on its own for now.........

Here's the but, two camera systems are currently awaiting approval which will record red light offences and speeding offences commited at any time, i.e. racing through on an amber light or green for that matter. Though like I say they aren't licenced yet.
Old 25 August 2005, 12:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

even children can learn how to use a traffic light.

if you get caught you are at fault...........how on earth anyone can blame "the complex system" is beyond me. If you cant work out 3 colours and that green is go then you are a moron.

....and if you think the light sytem was designed to "get cash of motorists" you are a bigger moron!

what next......those lines down the middle of the road...they designed to rip off motorists becuase if you drive on the wrong side you get a fine?
Old 25 August 2005, 12:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

@ Tiggs,

I have to agree. you fu.cked up accept it.
Old 25 August 2005, 02:37 PM
C4 WRX
Scooby Regular

Tell you what takes the p155 is the fact that as i was approaching the light it had changed to amber from the green. The car next to me chooses to put his foot down and accelerate through it, where as i chose to stop because i was well aware of the camera. And guess what, the other car doesn't get flashed!

Wish i had done the same thing now.
Old 25 August 2005, 04:22 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C4 WRX
Tell you what takes the p155 is the fact that as i was approaching the light it had changed to amber from the green. The car next to me chooses to put his foot down and accelerate through it, where as i chose to stop because i was well aware of the camera. And guess what, the other car doesn't get flashed!

Wish i had done the same thing now.

grown up attitude is do not jump the amber on approach and not jump it on leaving either......why has some ***** driving got to effect you?
Old 25 August 2005, 05:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
Anything other than green means STOP
On traffic lights yes, but not a pedestrian crossing, flashing amber is proceed with caution if clear to do so.
Old 31 December 2008, 01:10 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Default ressurecting old thread

bringing back the dead .

took my brother back to his university in nottingham the other day only been twice in total and theres lots and lots of camera's .
i was waiting at some lights with a camera there 2 cars in front of me on a roundabout the light goes green while im about to drive through the light went to a solid amber and i went through thought i was going too fast as i dont think i could have stopped in time.

am i doomed i didnt see a flash but camera was high up and couldnt see a flash
Old 31 December 2008, 01:45 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Default just to contribute to the resurection ;)

The other problem being car B is close to you approaching the light and if you stop you have a fatal crash {possibly} if you go you get a tickets but the camera does not reflect the situation you were in.

Last edited by PaulC72; 31 December 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 31 December 2008, 01:50 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

thing is though your right and even if i stopped without no cars behind me if my car went across just a little bit i still get flashed also what about if theres a que of cars and an ambulance is forcing his way through with lights going do you move way and get a ticket or stay put and risk 2 minutes of the paramedics time .

so you think ive been had ,are the flashes super bright would i see it ,ive never seen a camera flash before
Old 31 December 2008, 02:37 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Exactly, those cameras really should wait 5 secs or so just in case.
Old 01 January 2009, 10:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As understand it, you may not leave the lights until they have turned to green, so I think you jumped the gun and have been caught.

Les
Old 01 January 2009, 11:38 AM
Robbie200
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
so you think ive been had ,are the flashes super bright would i see it ,ive never seen a camera flash before
I did a bit of traffic signal design a few years ago (in Nottingham as it happens). The red light cameras were activated 2 seconds after the signals turned to red. If you've gone through on amber you don't need to worry about a ticket.
Old 01 January 2009, 11:39 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

From what I have ever seen on these cameras the lights have had to actually change to red for a few seconds before you are flashed- hence the name - red light camera !!!

used to see one regularly go off on my daily commute and in all cases it was only after it had turned to red and a car had sped thru never when changing from one to the other if this was the case it would get to the point were motorists were scared to approach a set off lights for fear off getting a fine !!!