Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do SatNav devices have speed camera location on them?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2005, 10:03 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do SatNav devices have speed camera location on them?

Hello all

I heard that soon Speed camera detectors (Road Angel etc.) will become illegal the thing I want to know is...do those SatNav devices that you can buy (Tom Tom etc.) have a function for telling you the location of speed cameras etc. If not then what can you use if that legislation goes through?

Thanks to all

Aaquil.
Old 06 August 2005, 10:39 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Detectors will become illegal. The GPS based devices like Origin B2, Road Angel etc do not detect the cameras. They already know where the cameras are from their database, they detect your position and tell you when you get near the cameras. These will remain legal.

The complicating factor is that some of the GPS based devices have recently bolted on laser detectors, those will become illegal. Latest road angels have the laser detector built in, apparently a software patch disabling the detector will mean it will be legal (maybe....). Origin B2 has a plug in remote laser detector, unplug it, bin the detecor and it will remain legal.
Old 06 August 2005, 11:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Next generation Road Angel due soon will also have Sat-nav.
Old 07 August 2005, 01:24 AM
grpbrallyfan
Scooby Regular

If you have TomTom Navigator (not sure about the TomTom Go version) you can download all sorts of things like speed camera locations, race circuits, charlton heston to tell you where to go etc, very useful, plus you can send in your own speed camera locations if there is one that is not featured on the Map.

James
Old 07 August 2005, 07:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You dont have to use the radar/laser detector on the Snooper

Les
Old 07 August 2005, 07:47 AM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

the NEW ROAD ANGLE has sat nav & camera detection as well, £700. (roughly)
as im thinking of getting this item.
Old 07 August 2005, 08:08 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Aaquil - For many sat nav systems - like TomTom, you can download POIs - Points of Interest. These are overlay maps for just about anything from petrol stations to hotels. You can also get them for speed camera positions. Some charge, but the best I've found is on Pocket GPS World. It's free and pretty accurate - not as good as dedicated devices such as Road Angel, but not bad. I've used it for ages. Full installation instructions are included on the site.

Chris
Old 07 August 2005, 09:46 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

You can use your mobile phone as a GPS speed camera detector now

All you need is a bluetooth GPS receiver (55quid), then install the satnav software on the phone (such as TomTom mobile) - and the speed camera location POI

Its also a great way of getting round the speed camera detector problem in Europe - France ban all dectors, including GPS ones, but they dont ban mobiles
Old 07 August 2005, 11:49 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks that's a hell of a lot of excellent info...I knew i'd get the help I wanted. So if you can download position of speed cameras with SatNav like 'TomTom' etc. and this Road Angel SatNav system is coming out what would you recommend. At the end of the day whatever one you go for is'nt going to be cheap and I don't want to take a chance with £700 worth of equipment. Can you download all the different types of speed cameras with the TomTom?

I have heard that the TomTom range is really good...any comments? Also I'm a bit of a simpleton so I need a simple system.

The Origin B2 I heard that it sometimes can pick up false alerts and even sometimes misses some!!! Have I been misinformed?

What would you suggest?

Thanks to all.

Aaquil.
Old 07 August 2005, 12:03 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Road Angel Navigator will be available very soon

Priced at £599

I am working on a Possible Group Buy so watch this space
Old 07 August 2005, 12:28 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The laser detector add-on for the Origin B2 may well pick up false alerts but a) so do all laser detectors and b) the laser detector is pointless as above.

The Origin B2 itself cannot pick up false alerts as the camera locations are preprogrammed. For new cameras it will take a few days and an update before it knows where they are but that's the same for all GPS based systems.

I've had an Origin B2 for 2 years and 80,000 miles. I've seen one camera in motorway roadworks on M4 / M5 junction that it didn't know about, did an upgrade and it knew the next day. It still alarms for one of the cameras on the A40 which was pushed over a few months ago, guess they're expecting it to be replaced. So no problem with false alerts or missing any as fas as I am concerned.

In summary been very pleased with it and wouldn't feel happy driving without it now.
Old 07 August 2005, 12:33 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I have the pocket GPS database on my NavMan and it's very good. I've not been passed a permanent camera that has not been on the database although I've had a few alams when there isnt a camera there. You can also download the temporary and mobile camera sites onto your satnav.

If you have no use for a PDA or mobile SatNav then go for didicated in car units like the TomTom Go or Navman ICN600 range. The screens are brighter than the small handheld units and you get proper amplified clear instructions that can be heard clearly over road/engine/wind/stereo noise.
Should be able to pick something up for around £300-£350.

Cheers
Lee
Old 07 August 2005, 06:48 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys...so a TomTom Go would give me directions to places as well as position of speed cameras that I can download? So a TomTom Go would give me more for the money than any spped camera detector?

Aaquil.
Old 07 August 2005, 08:41 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

i have the navman 510 - and i have loaded all the gatso/redlight/specs/trulvedos/temp cameras/and mobile cameras (most popular spots) also you can pick your warning distance and it will ding and display the warning once the distance is reached.

cracking piece of kit for £300

regards

Jud
Old 07 August 2005, 08:50 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baz69birds
the NEW ROAD ANGLE has sat nav & camera detection as well, £700. (roughly)
as im thinking of getting this item.
How expensive!!!! I have a hp iPAQ pda with tomtom on it and the speed camera maps downloaded from the net and it's actually better than the road angel, no subscription, cost less & is more versatile
Old 07 August 2005, 09:01 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

I got fed up with Tomtom giving me warnings of cameras on nearby roads and ones facing the wrong way. I find my B2's a lot easier to pop out of its cradle when I leave the car than unhooking my iPaq. The nice big speed display comes in handy too.

Martin.