Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know about blue-green algae?

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 10:32 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anyone know about blue-green algae?

As above....

I work just down the road from a marine lake which is not often topped up by the tide, and during the summer months, tends to contain blooms of algae, which make the water a blue-green colour....

What I'm wondering is, do you think it'd be safe to windsurf in there - bearing in mind that i'm likely to swallow the odd bit (unintentionally..) Thing is, I've heard all sorts of things, which range from dogs being killed when they've drunk it, to it not affecting you at all...

Anyone know better?

- btw - who'd admit to being an algae expert -
Thanks in advance
Old 04 August 2005, 10:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Few tubs of chlorine (trichloro, or dichloro ) or bottle of algaecide from your local swimming pool supplier should sort it

Fishermen may not be to happy with you though

(sorry, my knowledge of alage is only confined to swimming pools - free BTTT though )
Old 04 August 2005, 10:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you aint gonna see any waves in there......

Rhoselli this w/e for me....
Old 04 August 2005, 10:54 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dpb
you aint gonna see any waves in there......
Rhoselli this w/e for me....
No that's true However, it makes vulcan attempts easier with flat water I've got no days off at the moment, as people at work are away on holiday, and it's a lot closer than West Kirby Not sure which is worse tbh - Algae or the River Mersey
Old 04 August 2005, 10:57 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Few tubs of chlorine (trichloro, or dichloro ) or bottle of algaecide from your local swimming pool supplier should sort it
Fishermen may not be to happy with you though
They put straw in there I think, to get rid of it, which apparently does something - including breaking the fin off my board probably...

It'll need a fair bit of chlorine to do anything though, as the lake's probably 500 metres long and about the same wide
Old 04 August 2005, 11:11 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/wat...ae.htm#effects
Old 04 August 2005, 11:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Franx
No that's true However, it makes vulcan attempts easier with flat water I've got no days off at the moment, as people at work are away on holiday, and it's a lot closer than West Kirby Not sure which is worse tbh - Algae or the River Mersey
tough call.........maybe jus keep yer mouth closed..

Looks a washout anyway afterall that........10 mph acccording to windguru site......
Old 05 August 2005, 07:06 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ta! That's the kind of thing I shall read it

I went down to Crosby after work just then - a few people out, but it wasn't too windy anyway - perhaps 15 knots, but not much more That said, I didn't have my stuff anyway Not much forecast unfortunately either

Doesn't sound too serious just speaking to the people there.... Maybe just try not to swallow too much
Old 05 August 2005, 07:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Blue-green agae is actually a photosynthetic bacteria, rather than a true algae. You are very unlikey to suffer from any effects unless there is a significant amount of toxins present.

Are you sure it is actually blue-green algae and not just green algae? Does it form slimey sheets or is the water just cloudy green?
Old 05 August 2005, 08:50 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this algae looks like blue (sometimes green) luminous paint that has been tipped in by the shore, then I'd ring the Environmental Agency for advice. They may come and take a sample and declare if the area should be avoided.
Toxic levels tend to occur on lake/pond edges, particularly on warm, sheltered shallow bays where large growths can occur.
Although sheep and dog deaths have been attributed to BG algae at some reservoirs from drinking the water, I've not heard of any serious human cases to date.

Nick
Old 05 August 2005, 09:47 PM
Francesca.
Scooby Regular

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, I'm in the place that is farthest from.

Originally Posted by Butty
If this algae looks like blue (sometimes green) luminous paint that has been tipped in by the shore, then I'd ring the Environmental Agency for advice. They may come and take a sample and declare if the area should be avoided.
Toxic levels tend to occur on lake/pond edges, particularly on warm, sheltered shallow bays where large growths can occur.
Although sheep and dog deaths have been attributed to BG algae at some reservoirs from drinking the water, I've not heard of any serious human cases to date.

Nick
I live near Grafham Water (large Reservoir) and we get Blue Green Algae every year - and can confirm Sheep and Dog deaths as they have occured here previously. It's best to contact the Environment Agency to begin with A. Water has 'our' Algal Bloom regualrly monitored by Cambridge University as if the bloom is 'thick' then it's more toxic and if it reaches a certain level recreational activity on the Water is suspended as it can be dangerous to humans at this point.

All I can say is err on the side of caution.