Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Other Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2005, 10:13 AM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Drivers

Recently I have noticed a lot of "elder" drivers who seem to have no clue on speed limits.

I was following a lovely rover 400 the other day, down a national speed limit section of road, the driver in front of me was quite happy to do 35-38mph, with a lovely stream of traffic behind.

He seemed completely oblivious to the road conditions and speed limit.

After about a mile of this, we enter a 40mph, which leads to a 30mph.

This driver then pulled away from me, increasing his speed ! to probably 45mph

I will admit that I do transgress the speed limit on the odd occasion, but, when entering 30mph & 40mph speed limit zones, I do obey the speed limit, afterall the limits are in place for a good reason.

People in general seem very quick to condem those of us that have performance cars, and yet who is more dangerous and posses more of a risk to other people.

Rant over
Old 24 July 2005, 10:20 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

get the same thing pretty much most of the time, loads of people out there dont really know how to drive properly.

btw andy, you have pm, and phone message
Old 26 July 2005, 09:00 AM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Know what you mean. I live in a village and whenever I go through it or another village I try to keep to 25-30mph and find either a) cars in front of me clear off into the sunset at a rapid rate of knots or b) those behind me drive close enough to read over the shoulder of my kid in the back seat!!!! But you just know that they are probably the same people who tut tut and shake their heads if anyone else drives quickly past their house.

I'm like you I do occasionally go quickly (otherwise why have a car like a scoob?) but enjoy acceleration into, through and out of bends on open roads where national speed limits apply. Besides I find that kids love time to look at scoobs passing through - some even take time to wave - I get a great buzz from knowing that some young kid might be dreaming about a car I'm driving.
Old 26 July 2005, 09:09 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Nice to see a lot of sensible like minded scoob drivers so far on this thread.

Wer'e the sort to drive carefully in built up areas, but go up to the limit elsewhere, and maybe 'a bit more' when you have an open road all to yourself.

My motto is to avoid drawing attention to myself in heavy traffic - and maintaining a safe distance in front of me so I never have to slam on the brakes.
Old 26 July 2005, 09:31 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I see this all the time. They're usually the ones shaking their fists and flashing when you safely pass them on an open road with them wheezing along at 38 in a 60 but many have a binary throttle, just have one speed for all roads. That said, I see many, many late teens / early 20's muppets tearing past here in a 30 at double the limit, one regular in an import WRX does Scooby drivers no favours showing off his steed

I suppose that there are good drivers and bad drivers of all ages just that we think the more 'experienced' drivers should be more, err, experienced.
Old 26 July 2005, 11:04 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the police really don't like those people who have "one speed" .. those who do 40 in a 60 / 70 unrestricted, but do NOT drop to 30 in the 30 zones ... these drivers impeed normal progress on faster roads and are a danger in slower areas / built up areas ...
That's what a couple of police acquaintances told me... those sort of drivers cause more accidents ( as they get in the way on fast roads and cause issues when others try and legally overtake, like swerving or gesticulating at the overtaker! and the rushed over taking can lead to head on impacts!) as well as not slowing for slower speed limits in built up areas or school areas etc. where they THINK they are being safe having not speeded up earlier ..!

And these pointed out were were mainly older folks driving...!
Old 27 July 2005, 11:14 AM
eric Scofield
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Yeah, the police really don't like those people who have "one speed" .. those who do 40 in a 60 / 70 unrestricted, but do NOT drop to 30 in the 30 zones ... these drivers impeed normal progress on faster roads and are a danger in slower areas / built up areas ...
That's what a couple of police acquaintances told me... those sort of drivers cause more accidents ( as they get in the way on fast roads and cause issues when others try and legally overtake, like swerving or gesticulating at the overtaker! and the rushed over taking can lead to head on impacts!) as well as not slowing for slower speed limits in built up areas or school areas etc. where they THINK they are being safe having not speeded up earlier ..!

And these pointed out were were mainly older folks driving...!
Agree with every word .... It seems strange to me when these people 'speed' through villages at 45-50 mph and then continue on along unrestricted roads at the same speed then get REALLY pissed when you over-take them ... flashing, trying to out-accelerate you then waving their fists at you once you go past them ... (I have noticed that the flashing lights and fist waving disappears real quick if you slow down and make as if to pull over to discuss their behaviour - and yes they do tend to be 'older' drivers ...)
Old 27 July 2005, 11:18 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The blue rinse brigade round here are the epitome of what you describe. I can normally count on at least 2 or 3 flash/fist shake incidents a week! It's important that we continue to exercise our right to overtake, not least because it annoys them!
Old 27 July 2005, 12:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you for commenting on something that really pees me off!

30/40 or areas with houses etc I keep to limits almost religiously. Since being a father I'm much more aware of my speed in an area where children might be. When roads become national speed limit and deserted open roads then perhaps on occasion my speed may increase.

I can't bleeding stand these old badgers that mince along at 50 or under yet when it comes to a village or town and I slow down to 30, they just carry on! If anything it just shows how incompetent these people are on the road. What they are effectively doing is driving at a speed they feel comfortable with and not what the signs are telling them.

poor speed management, cutting up, lane changing without warning and complete disregard to the stork on the left that makes the little orange winkers come on. Classic examples of driving round West Wales.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:36 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Thank you for commenting on something that really pees me off!

30/40 or areas with houses etc I keep to limits almost religiously. Since being a father I'm much more aware of my speed in an area where children might be. When roads become national speed limit and deserted open roads then perhaps on occasion my speed may increase.

I can't bleeding stand these old badgers that mince along at 50 or under yet when it comes to a village or town and I slow down to 30, they just carry on! If anything it just shows how incompetent these people are on the road. What they are effectively doing is driving at a speed they feel comfortable with and not what the signs are telling them.

poor speed management, cutting up, lane changing without warning and complete disregard to the stork on the left that makes the little orange winkers come on. Classic examples of driving round West Wales.
You have a trained bird to operate your indicators? Jammy b*stard, I have to make do by using the indicator stalk.

Old 27 July 2005, 12:38 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I'm 45yrs of age and drive very brisk thank you :-)
Old 27 July 2005, 12:48 PM
eric Scofield
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pnbond007
I'm 45yrs of age and drive very brisk thank you :-)
Well STOPPIT !!!
Old 27 July 2005, 12:57 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yep this annoys me too.

I enter a 30 limit about 2 miles from my house, which I always observe. Line of traffic in front carries on @40-50, those behind me start nervously jostling for position trying to intimidate me to go faster, beads of sweat appear on there brows (I can see this as they are about 2 microns from my rear bumper). The train of cars now led by me always catch up to the line in front due to several right turns, this goes on 3-4 times, if I judge it just right we'll catch them up just as they scurry off again at 40-50.

On a good day I’ll never touch my brakes once, although I might have had to take a few old ladies out if they got in the way

Makes the journey home more interesting, saves fuel and brakes, makes my village a safer place for those few minutes. Everyone’s happy, except those behind me

Allan
Old 27 July 2005, 01:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I was pulling my hair out whilst in the Tranny yesturday doing a 400mile round trip in wales.

That's one beauty with fast cars is you can quickly overtake said numpties when you get a nice opertunity to do so (in the national speed limit zone - of course ). There was even a stretch of road where an oil tanker in front of the car I was following was pulling away in to the distance- even round the tight bends. Whilst I, and 20 other irate motorist sat waiting for an clear opertunity.

I'm usually quite tolerent though, 55mph on a clear trunk road and 50mph round slight bends (excepting the sharp ones marked with the usual warning signs) is fine by me and I'll happliy stick with it. But what I find intolerable is when they meander inconsistently - regardless of road conditions throughout the whole journey between 40 and 55 (typically touching 60 just at the perfect overtaking opertunity - doh! ). Over-braking, panic/comfort braking, braking mid-bend, slowing to 35mph for what is a minor bend, then taking an age to build momentum again (presumably still in 5th gear).

Unfortunately with the way things are with paranoia over speeding convictions nobody wants to speed or even travel close to the speed limit...and more incresingly nobody wants to overtake either - forcing motorists who actually want to make "progress" to have to overtake 3 or maybe 4 cars to get past the leading curlprit - highly dangerous at the best of times - obviously in a transit it's case of planning waaaay ahead, checking possible entrances, building the boost and getting a good run up before performing the overtake - something I'd rather not want to do every 10miles

It's all these thing that just make it such a chore to drive on a modern single carriageway trnck road in the UK.....at the earliest opertunity I'll turn off on to a known deserted B road, and only have to worry about the odd tractor and pothole

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 July 2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 27 July 2005, 04:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Elderly people do tend to drive more slowly because they have more patience for a start and prefer to drive within their personal limits. The real point is that according to the RTA they are perfectly entitled to do so as long as they are not causing undue obstruction. They would have to be deliberately crawling at less than 20 mph to be guilty of that.

I don't see too many who then go through restricted areas at too high a a speed but I am sure it does happen and that is just as wrong as anybody speeding in constricted areas of course.

There are just as many younger drivers who behave far more badly anyway and it is surprising how few people have any idea of the Highway Code, the actual value of national speed limits, or just the basic courtesy of driving which used to be the unwritten rule of the road.

The activities of visiting drivers to this part of the country where we have narrow roads which require a bit of common sense and thought for other drivers are just incredible. Their road manners is truly awful and the number of mirrors which wind up on the road because of their need to beat the other driver to a narrow piece of road is just incredible. They rarely stop to pick up the glass either!

We don't have a god given right to drive at any speed we like just because we have fast cars, and although it is irritating to have to follow slower drivers, it just takes a little patience until you can overtake safely. I find that those who object when I overtake are almost always younger drivers who dont like to be overtaken. best to just ignore them I find.

Les
Old 27 July 2005, 04:43 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

They're all out of it on some kind of medication if you ask me. I'm sure if you passed your hand backwards and forwards in front of their eyes you would see no reaction at all.
Old 27 July 2005, 04:46 PM
DrunkenPikie
Scooby Regular

I blame Nude Labia, damn that Phoney Hair, sooner gone the better.
Old 27 July 2005, 05:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree with what you say Leslie. There is no minimum speed limit and people should only drive as fast as they are safe to do so. That's the theory anyway

It's just becomming increasingly common to end up following a driver, who has little regard for safety and yet still travel at well below the posted limit in a national speed limit zone, then happily carry on at their same speed upon entering a village with a 30mph restriction (usually 45ish mph). Obviously they fail on observation, some also have problems with controlling and positioning the car on the road (akin to a drunk driver), they panic brake midway through a bend (lethal imo) because they didn't slow down enough or read the "Reduce speed now max 25mph" sign (again observation). Yet come a bend without warnings they'll brake and slow right down when it is visually safe to continue at their current speed (usally 45-50mph - already safe a safe speed for most bends without warning signs). It really is the disregard and inattention to what they are doing that narks me, perhaps its more easier to dirve/comfortable cars that are to blame, or the ageing population, or more leanient driving test standards, I don't know. But all I do know it has got a hell of lot more commonplace on UK roads
Old 27 July 2005, 05:34 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I agree with what you say Leslie. There is no minimum speed limit and people should only drive as fast as they are safe to do so. That's the theory anyway
Here's the problem though.... if someone is bimbling along an otherwise completely clear national speedlimit road at 40 mph one has to wonder at what % of their total ability they are operating at because if they are flat out as fast as they can safely drive before they even get to the posted speed limit then the speed limit is effectively irrelevent for them.

They can quite happily drive dangerously every day (i.e. beyond their capabilities) without ever setting a speed camera off!
Old 27 July 2005, 11:21 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Elderly people do tend to drive more slowly because they have more patience for a start and prefer to drive within their personal limits. The real point is that according to the RTA they are perfectly entitled to do so as long as they are not causing undue obstruction. They would have to be deliberately crawling at less than 20 mph to be guilty of that.

I don't see too many who then go through restricted areas at too high a a speed but I am sure it does happen and that is just as wrong as anybody speeding in constricted areas of course.

There are just as many younger drivers who behave far more badly anyway and it is surprising how few people have any idea of the Highway Code, the actual value of national speed limits, or just the basic courtesy of driving which used to be the unwritten rule of the road.

The activities of visiting drivers to this part of the country where we have narrow roads which require a bit of common sense and thought for other drivers are just incredible. Their road manners is truly awful and the number of mirrors which wind up on the road because of their need to beat the other driver to a narrow piece of road is just incredible. They rarely stop to pick up the glass either!

We don't have a god given right to drive at any speed we like just because we have fast cars, and although it is irritating to have to follow slower drivers, it just takes a little patience until you can overtake safely. I find that those who object when I overtake are almost always younger drivers who dont like to be overtaken. best to just ignore them I find.

Les
I'd agree with that for the most part aside from your comment on younger drivers being over taken,the people that seem to give the most abuse in my experience seem to be the ones that enjoy sitting 3 inches from the car in front rather than overtake,forcing you to not only over take them but also the person thats the main cause of the hold up.Oddly enough they nearly always have kids in the car,you'd think they'd want a safer reacting distance to the car in front really so they don't endanger their families.
Old 28 July 2005, 07:12 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I tend to stick to 30 in a 30 and 40 in a 40, but seem to come across a whole group of drivers that will pass you in a 30 or 40 limit at about 50 but then when you get out on the open road they continue at the same damn speed. Is this just in Leicester or is it more widespread? Pisses me off ...........
Old 28 July 2005, 11:50 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I tend to stick to 30 in a 30 and 40 in a 40, but seem to come across a whole group of drivers that will pass you in a 30 or 40 limit at about 50 but then when you get out on the open road they continue at the same damn speed. Is this just in Leicester or is it more widespread? Pisses me off ...........

Fraid not mate,Northants seems to be the same,although it is right next door to leicestershire