Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jesus...I've got shingles!

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 10:30 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jesus...I've got shingles!

Just been diagnosed with shingles, whatever the hell that is....sounds like some sort of 1940s illness you'd hear about your grandad having. Off work now for the forseeable, and the good news is that if I'm going to go blind it'll only be in the one eye, so that's O.K!
Symptoms are headache ( for a week now ) toothache, earache, and the feeling that I've been punched in the eye by Tyson in his heyday. This is all in one side of my face. Apparently, I can expect to get a rash at some point soon, and that'll in all probability manifest itself in my eye as that's where I'm feeling the brunt of the pain.
Anyone else had this? What was the outcome?
Old 12 July 2005, 10:38 PM
Diamond Dave
Scooby Regular

It's not good news. You'll be dead in a fortnight.
Go out and rob a bank and live the high life for 14 days and nights.
Old 12 July 2005, 10:52 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Cor....poor you. Known a few people with this and it aint pleasant. All you can do is follow the Drs instructions and take it easy. No telling how long it will last. It can manifest itself in any area of the body , sadly, you drew the short straw. Its from the chickenpox virus. Been near any kids with CP? Be careful not to pass it on to anyone.
Take care and good luck.
Yve
Old 12 July 2005, 11:00 PM
Diamond Dave
Scooby Regular

Awww Yve you spoilt my fun.I was hoping it was another one of those ridiculous "please advise me'' threads.I was looking forward to seeing the local Nat West getting knocked off and Scoobynet getting a mention on crimewatch.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:01 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
It's not good news. You'll be dead in a fortnight.
Go out and rob a bank and live the high life for 14 days and nights.
Oh good, 'cos that was exactly what I had in mind...keep your eye on the obituary columns, look for the bloke having the expensive sounding funeral........
Old 12 July 2005, 11:03 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
Just been diagnosed with shingles, whatever the hell that is....sounds like some sort of 1940s illness you'd hear about your grandad having. Off work now for the forseeable, and the good news is that if I'm going to go blind it'll only be in the one eye, so that's O.K!
Symptoms are headache ( for a week now ) toothache, earache, and the feeling that I've been punched in the eye by Tyson in his heyday. This is all in one side of my face. Apparently, I can expect to get a rash at some point soon, and that'll in all probability manifest itself in my eye as that's where I'm feeling the brunt of the pain.
scarred lens of the eye.. thats where my mate got it.. very nasty it follows nerve paths relentlessly..

i had it over by back and both arms and torso all down my l& r side..

not nice by any stretch of the imagineation

M
Old 12 July 2005, 11:12 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Awww Yve you spoilt my fun.I was hoping it was another one of those ridiculous "please advise me'' threads.I was looking forward to seeing the local Nat West getting knocked off and Scoobynet getting a mention on crimewatch.
Thanks for the advice....I intend to follow it to the letter. I've left written instructions for my family to pursue you legally should your input prove to be in any way not in my best interests.
I'm sure this will prove not to be the case, and that they'll be able to live off the fruits of my final endeavours in a style they have hitherto been unaccustomed in my living years! My death will surely be the good thing that comes from the evil of illness. Again, thank you for your kindness and compassion.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:17 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
scarred lens of the eye.. thats where my mate got it.. very nasty it follows nerve paths relentlessly..

i had it over by back and both arms and torso all down my l& r side..

not nice by any stretch of the imagineation

M
Bloody hell, this is worse than the Doc led me to believe, and I didn't get the feeling he was holding back.....on the advice of a relative who's had it, I'm off to the eye dept. of the local General tomorrow, cheers for the input ( well, the genuine stuff anyway! ).
Btw, those of you who've had it, how long did it last?
Old 12 July 2005, 11:28 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

This may contain a bit too much information for your liking but HTH..

just so you know what is what etc..

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/M.../shingles.html
Old 12 July 2005, 11:38 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
This may contain a bit too much information for your liking but HTH..

just so you know what is what etc..

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/M.../shingles.html
Thanks, yes, helps, if only to make me take it more seriously. Didn't realise what I was in for, tbh.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:40 PM
Diamond Dave
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice....I intend to follow it to the letter. I've left written instructions for my family to pursue you legally should your input prove to be in any way not in my best interests.
I'm sure this will prove not to be the case, and that they'll be able to live off the fruits of my final endeavours in a style they have hitherto been unaccustomed in my living years! My death will surely be the good thing that comes from the evil of illness. Again, thank you for your kindness and compassion.
Don't try blaming me if you make a hash of it with **** poor planning or if the payoff isn't substantial enough.
I've given you advice in my capacity as a scoobynet expert ©.
Good luck and remember this, if they go for the alarm blow them away.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:42 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Thanks, yes, helps, if only to make me take it more seriously. Didn't realise what I was in for, tbh.
hopefully it's only a mild case.. keep away from pregnant ladies tho...!

Hope you feel better soon.

LG.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:45 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

on the flip side of the coin though, I had shingles a while back and it was not at all as lethal as people are making out.
Had a small band of itchy blisters on my back, with no other symptoms.
kept on applying TCP to them and they cleared up in a week, no scarring.
The latter half of the illness was actually spent in cyprus, the most painfull part was accidentally scratching the blisters. Apart from that, no stress.
Hope it clears up okay dude, but bear it mind, it aint all bad.
astraboy.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:50 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Nasty... pain can last months and cause damage as you have already been advised. Nothing you can do that hasn't already been prescribed by your GP. More unusual to manifest on the face, it's usually around the midrift, upper chest area. As it attacks your nerves that's where the pain comes from.

I truely hope it doesn't affect your sight but you have obviously been warned of the possibility.

An illness that normally affects adults whether you have had chicken pox or not - it's the same viri.

Get well soon - positive mental attitude.. better than any prescription
Old 12 July 2005, 11:57 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Don't try blaming me if you make a hash of it with **** poor planning or if the payoff isn't substantial enough.
I've given you advice in my capacity as a scoobynet expert ©.
Good luck and remember this, if they go for the alarm blow them away.
The payoff is never substantial enough, and I always blame someone else.....if nothing else, you should be grateful for the lesson you may learn! I intend to blow them away BEFORE they go for the alarm, after all, what have I got to lose with only a fortnight to live? Clearly, you have little or no experience in matters of this nature and therefore have no business describing yourself as an 'expert'! Your approach is fundamentally flawed and littered with basic schoolboy errors!
Old 13 July 2005, 12:01 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

What are you on about? You only have a fortnight to live, why post that in a thread about someone with shingles?

You need your own thread.. why pick on someone because their approach to their own illness is, in your opinion, flawed?
Old 13 July 2005, 12:02 AM
Diamond Dave
Scooby Regular

That's a typical standard for a scoobynet expert ©.
Old 13 July 2005, 12:02 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Nasty... pain can last months and cause damage as you have already been advised. Nothing you can do that hasn't already been prescribed by your GP. More unusual to manifest on the face, it's usually around the midrift, upper chest area. As it attacks your nerves that's where the pain comes from.

I truely hope it doesn't affect your sight but you have obviously been warned of the possibility.

An illness that normally affects adults whether you have had chicken pox or not - it's the same viri.

Get well soon - positive mental attitude.. better than any prescription
Thanks, and to others with similar replies. More concerned about it now than I was initially, 'ignorance is bliss' must be at least partially true!
Old 13 July 2005, 12:04 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

That's a typical standard for a scoobynet expert ©.
Hmmm, PSL in disguise?
Old 13 July 2005, 01:16 AM
lubo
Scooby Regular

Got it when i was 9 weeks pregnant (doc had never heard of a pregnant woman with it). Panicked completely cos of baby! Couldnt get any treatment cos i was pregnant. Felt ill 4 a week flu like simptoms - my shingles were over my eye and face - 2nd week it got easier. Had a 3 year old so had to get get on with things and baby was born fine. Sometimes you just have to tough it out
Old 13 July 2005, 09:20 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Not nice at all, bought on by srtess mainly, I had it and it was bloody painful, just sit and chill.
Cheers
Colin