Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SPECS 26 mile full time

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 10:23 AM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPECS 26 mile full time

This could be the start of large scale coverage, copy of letter I've done objecting , I would urge other people to object too and nip this in the bud.

From the times

“BRITAIN’S longest continuous speed trap will monitor motorists along a 26-mile stretch of road in an attempt to reduce deaths at one of Scotland’s worst accident blackspots.”

Link
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...691763,00.html

Email to my MP (Cheshire) and Stephen Ladyman Minister for transport

"I am writing to object to the SPECS speed Camera scheme on the A77 in Scotland

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...691763,00.html

This is a road I have regularly used and I believe this scheme is a bad idea.

The traffic on this road is quite heavy but does move quite well, the amount of injuries and deaths whilst tragic do not seem excessive when taking into account how busy this road is and it’s economic importance. Also given the type of road this is, the type of road users (very low pedestrian, high motor vehicle), looking at figures from the Department of Transport reports, the huge majority of accidents are not speed related either, so the impact of a scheme such as this on road safety is likely to be limited if beneficial at all.

When considering safety directly, the accidents I have seen on that road have been through a combination of bad judgment and poor road design, speed not appearing to be a direct or even a contributing factor . An additional hazard this scheme may introduce for driver is during overtaking, safe overtaking is possible on this road at many points and is beneficial as it can vastly reduce journey times, but if the unexpected were to happen during an overtake the danger of being caught by SPECs may prevent people from taking the appropriate action to get themselves out of danger, potentially increasing accidents rather than reducing them.

The route carries a lot of HGVs supplying the coast and going to and from Stranraer for the ferry to Ireland, with SPECs these would be reduced to doing 40mph (single carriageway limit for HGVs), which would really slow things down, at the moment they potter along at 50-60mph safely, keeping traffic flowing well and as said above when they do slow on hills etc they can be overtaken safely. The economic consequences of slowing down the traffic on such a busy route as this is bound to be fairly drastic.

As an example of what may happen one can compare this scheme to the one currently running on the A616 Manchester to Sheffield road, this has forced HGVs down to 40 mph for most of the route and made overtaking more dangerous, which has resulted in a rough 10 mph reduction in my journey across this route and a 11.2 mph on average reduction for a haulage client, this is a very busy route and given this speed reduction is likely to be true for almost all the traffic using this route the economic consequences must be quite severe, this must cost society millions, millions which could be spent on essential services like the NHS, Police, etc, this is money and resource wasted which could be used to save lives/prevent hardship elsewhere.

The economic effects on the A77 are likely to be as bad if not worse due to the increased length of road covered and this for very little if any improvement in road safety. Overall I think a scheme such as this will do more harm to society than good."

Email Dr Stephen Ladyman MP, Minister of State for Transport

E-mail: Stephen.Ladyman@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Strathclyde Safety Camera Partnership
Road Policing Complex, 433 Helen Street, Glasgow G51 3HH

Fax your MP

http://www.writetothem.com/index?pc=&fyr_extref=
Old 13 July 2005, 10:39 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Scotland? That's alright then... Phew
Old 13 July 2005, 11:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Damn shame, Scotland has some of the best driving roads in the UK

Still I'm sure it's worth the £20 million it cost....