Old 04 July 2005, 06:42 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had their tonsils out ?

as an adult i mean.

i'm having mine removed next week.
not looking forward to it at all

is it much to worry about ? or am i being a big wuss ? ?
Old 04 July 2005, 06:45 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

It's extremely unpleasant, and you'll probably be off work for three weeks. There's a good chance you'll lose a stone or so as you'll not feel like eating. Hell, you'll not feel a lot like living. Really, it's that bad.

That's my personal experience, but then I'd had a lot of bouts of tonsillitis, and therefore lots of scar tissue to be removed before they got the the offending tonsils.
Old 04 July 2005, 06:52 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

blimey - doesn't sound promising

I've had 2 bouts of quinsey (sp?) in the last year so thats why they're coming out .

quickly going off the idea.....

maybe someone will come along and say " no it's really nice , no pain and they wake you up with a cold beer and tell you to have a liquid lunch for a week "

probably not tho
Old 04 July 2005, 06:57 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

You wake up with no pain - I can definitely recommend morphine suppositories - but it goes kind of downhill after that.

I ended up haemorraging quite a lot, but really, it was the insistent pain for a week which drove me nuts. I ended up getting pissed most of the time, because I was overdosing on Nurofen. A half bottle of scotch for a week instead of the tablets worked for me.

Having a tonsillectomy was shocking, but worth it - I look back at the throat infections I used to get and shudder.
Old 04 July 2005, 07:06 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

oh well, best get it over and done with . don't want another quinsey - i felt rough as a badgers ar*e then !
Old 04 July 2005, 07:12 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Sounds nasty! Hope you don't suffer too badly mate. My god-daughter is having hers out soon, they are stopping her from growing properly as she has trouble sleeping, and apparently when your lil that's when you do most of your growing.

Good luck!
Old 04 July 2005, 07:21 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

cheers Jay

hopefully it will all be fine

a week off in front of the tv with Nurofen and Scotch is the answer apparently !!
Old 04 July 2005, 07:24 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
It's extremely unpleasant, and you'll probably be off work for three weeks. There's a good chance you'll lose a stone or so as you'll not feel like eating. Hell, you'll not feel a lot like living. Really, it's that bad.

That's my personal experience, but then I'd had a lot of bouts of tonsillitis, and therefore lots of scar tissue to be removed before they got the the offending tonsils.
read this with interest and thought WTF are you on about I had mine done and was out later THAT day........................

Hawk

then remembered I had my wisdom teeth done not tonsils
Old 04 July 2005, 07:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkthescoobslayer

then remembered I had my wisdom teeth done not tonsils

Not much of a surgeon then........
Old 04 July 2005, 09:22 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by IPALMER
is it much to worry about ?
Depends if anything goes wrong. Didn't for me and I just felt rough for a couple of weeks. Anti-biotics they put me on were horrid - couldn't drink and even mouthwash made me throw up cos I swallowed a pipette full!!

or am i being a big wuss ? ?
Nah, it's common to feel apprehensive. I'm not going to say it doesn't hurt cos it will. BUT, it's alot better than being ill with tonsilitus or whatever you had. The morpheine they give you to start with will reduce the immediate pain, but take your tablets, whether or not you think you need them!!

Eat something "scratchy" as soon as possible. I had beans on toast in the hospital about 3-4 hours after coming round - I was starving! I never lost any weight ( ) cos I never lost my appetite!!

You should feel better quite quickly, but then about day 4 or 5, you plummet and feel like death again. Energy levels reduce and you'll do alot of sleeping.

Back to work about 2 weeks after, but full health returns after about 4 months. I felt great within 4 weeks I reckon.

I have not had a major bout of any illness since then (Christmas) which I would have had before having them out. Had a couple of colds, but they haven't gone to my throat which is the best thing!

HTH
Clare

Last edited by Clarebabes; 04 July 2005 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Cos it was anti-biotics, not anti-inflamatories
Old 04 July 2005, 09:25 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

a week off in front of the tv with Nurofen and Scotch is the answer apparently !!
See previous post for alcohol warning! It will make you sick if you're on the anti-biotics I had. Don't think it will be OK, I'll just have a little one.... The anti-biotics stays in your system for 24-48 hours too, so even if you've finished the course it will still make you sick! I found out the hard way! And it was at New Year....

Last edited by Clarebabes; 04 July 2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04 July 2005, 09:34 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

as an adult i mean.

i'm having mine removed next week.
not looking forward to it at all

is it much to worry about ? or am i being a big wuss ? ?
Just MAKE SURE they put you on the table the right way round !!!
Old 04 July 2005, 09:36 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

meant that post a bit in jest - wishful thinking on my behalf i think !

thanks for the replies - won't be the most comfortable couple of weeks - but then i'll be good as new
Old 04 July 2005, 09:38 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Just MAKE SURE they put you on the table the right way round !!!
haha pmsl ! ! i've always wondered what the nurses ( female hopefully ) are gonna play with when they're bored watching the op ! !
Old 04 July 2005, 09:42 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

This might help:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=tonsils

My ScoobyNet log LOL! Looks like I have better memories than what actually happened! It is Metronidazole that is the anti-biotic - NO ALCOHOL!!

HTH
Clare
Old 04 July 2005, 09:53 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I had my tonsils out a year ago when I was 35, after suffering REAL severe tonsilitus every 8 weeks repeatedly (not the sore throats some call tonsilitus).

A few hours after the op and the next day I was absolutely fine and wondered what all the fuss was about. I had two holes in the back of my throat the size of half a golf ball, which looked odd as I had mine removed using a hotwire type device!!!

Then for the next 9 days I was in agony and very uncomfortable and hardly slept with the pain. I visited my GP on day 11 in a right state and he told me that the pain following a tonsilectomy peaks around day 10 (not sure why) and that hospitals never give adequate pain relief. He presecribed me some serious pain killers and instantly felt more comfoprtable. I was off work for 3 weeks.

Since the Op tho my quality of life is 100% better and has had the side effect of curing my snoring for some reason. The only down side is that when I 1st wake up, I cannot open my mouth wide without retching. After 20 mins or so its fine though.

Get through the 1st 2 weeks, go straight to your GP if you find the pain too much and you'll never look back!!
Old 04 July 2005, 10:24 PM
Stringpants
Scooby Regular

Talking Easy removal..

Tied mine to the back of the Scoob and got the missus to drop the clutch at 4k revs!

Sorted out my piles at the same time.

Good Luck.