Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Helicopter Pilot Flying Training - Trial Lessons?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2005, 04:35 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helicopter Pilot Flying Training - Trial Lessons?

Following on from the 'Fear of flying' thread...

Has anyone here had a helicopter pilot trial lesson? I'm seriously thinking about treating myself for my birthday If so, where did you go and how much did it cost? Was it worth it? Any recommendations (apart from don't do it!) will be greatly appreciated.

If I like it and I'm any good then I may go the whole hog and try for a PPL(H) providing I get a good price for my Granny first
Old 04 July 2005, 04:54 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Friend did a trail lesson in one

He only hovered about 5 feet off the ground so was not impressed really

I did a flying lesson a few years back in a 6 seater plane Cestna I think
In Blackpool thats was great
Old 04 July 2005, 10:29 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, I went to Sloane Helicopters several years ago on their open day for mine.
Absolutely brilliant, got a lot more than 5 feet off the ground too .

Martin.
Old 05 July 2005, 01:00 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Had a trial lesson with Sloane a few years back and as Martin has said got quite a bit higher than 5 ft. Had the controls for a time at about 3000ft. Best birthday prezzie I'd had in a long time

I think it cost about £110 but I do know that gaining a pilot's license is mucho expensive. Something like 40 hours flying time for the private license and 130 for a commercial (may have these figures wrong) multiplied by a minimum of £200 per hour for the chopper. Bear in mind this was all 5 years ago.

Deffo do it! Well worth the experience even you don't take it any further.

Mark
Old 05 July 2005, 09:02 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

3000ft? Sounds great Having read the first post I was starting to get a little concerned as 5 feet off the ground wasn't what I had in mind.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen Sloane's website before. The Robinson R22 seems to be about the standard for a trial flight and definitely the cheapest. I worked out the cost of getting a PPL(H) yesterday and yes, not cheap but then again not outside the realms of possibility either, unfortunately the commercial licence is a lot more and I've got this idea into my head that I want to fly helicopters for a living which just won't go away... I went up in one on Saturday for the first time in about 3 years and it just reminded me of how fantastic helicopters are and how much I want to learn to fly one.

So, how difficult is it? I've always got on pretty well with anything mechanical but this is a whole different world.
Old 05 July 2005, 09:39 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Apparently if you can tap your head with one hand while rubbing your tum with the other you should have few problems. This is all to do with twisting and pulling with one hand (the left I think - it's been a while) and forward/back/side to side with the other. Not forgetting your feet, of course, they ain't idle

HTH

Mark
Old 05 July 2005, 10:02 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Yep, just conducted a scientific test and I can do that with either my left or right hand whilst tapping both feet so flying should be easy then
Old 05 July 2005, 10:28 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Went in an R22 a few years ago. Flew around Drax Power Station, then back up the M62 to where I live. Did two auto rotation landings as well, which was fantastic, albeit I'm not sure everybody has the right mindset to stomach that on a trial flight.

Looking at ~£10k to get your PPL(H) at 45 hours or at least that's what I worked it out at. If you've got a PPL(A) then you *only* have to do 40 hours.

I really wanted to do my PPL(H), but after looking at the costs, I settled for the PPL(A). Once you have your fixed wing licence, you can get your flying costs down to ~£50ph depending on what you fly. Chopper hire was still in the high £100 to low £200 area.

Before throwing a large amount of cash in getting a license, ask yourself what your going to do with it at the end !!!!

HTH
Old 05 July 2005, 03:24 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

I got a 30min trial lesson for Xmas but didn't get to use it till May. Was absolutely brilliant though flew over SJP and my work then over to the coast (Tynemouth) before turning and flying up along the river Tyne and I actually did most of the flying once up in the air including an 'excellent' 90 degree banked turn and the descent only needing only the odd bit of help when the wind/turbulence was getting bad and of course to manouver below 1 monster cloud.

I'm definately gonna have another 1hr lesson including auto-rotation etc to see if it's something I want to take further

Last edited by cheddar bob; 05 July 2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05 July 2005, 06:05 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

You could try Hields Aviation, Sherburn near Tadcaster.. Had a trial flight there last year, brilliant, but infinately difficult on your first flight!!

Some details on http://www.hieldsaviation.co.uk but they are much smaller and more personal than they look on the website..

Chris
Old 05 July 2005, 07:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Consider going to one of the flying schools in Florida.

The last time I looked they were doing CAA (as opposed to FAA) PPL(H) course much cheaper (half the cost IIRC), including the flights to/from the UK and accomodation. They also have much better weather (hurricanes permitting), so less likelyhood of being grounded.

Get a copy of Flight or Pilot from WH Smiths for loads of adverts etc.
Old 06 July 2005, 09:50 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Heli Charter at Manston near Ramsgate,Kent

Excellent time was had ! Speak to Simon there !
Old 06 July 2005, 10:02 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

So many choices, thanks all Unless I suddenly become very rich I don't know if I'll go on to do the full PPL(H) but I'm certainly going to have a trial lesson just for the thrill and challenge of it. I'll report back here when I've done it which will be around the beginning of September

I'm a bit concerned that I might like it too much - it could be an expensive addiction
Old 06 July 2005, 10:22 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Consider going to one of the flying schools in Florida.

The last time I looked they were doing CAA (as opposed to FAA) PPL(H) course much cheaper (half the cost IIRC), including the flights to/from the UK and accomodation. They also have much better weather (hurricanes permitting), so less likelyhood of being grounded.

Get a copy of Flight or Pilot from WH Smiths for loads of adverts etc.
Jerome. Some good advice although I'd temper it by saying that it's far more difficult to get the relevant permits for flight training in the US these days but still do-able. If you do take this route make sure the Flight School is using the JAA syllabus and is CAA approved for the GFT. Also, once you're back in the UK please go out for a few hours with a UK instructor as things are very different in the UK when it comes to air space and joinining procedures.

Scoobychick, by all means have a go and if you enjoy it go for your PPL(H) but be realistic about whether you want to fly commercially or indeed if you have the apptitude for doing so. Without wishing to patronise you, the theory side of flying including all the exams is a nightmare in our JAA enlightened Euro **** up and the level of pedanticness with some of the exams is ridiculous. Its also very time consuming.
Old 06 July 2005, 10:44 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks FCD, I'm not looking any further than a trial lesson just for fun at the moment, as you quite rightly point out I might be rubbish Becoming a commercial pilot is just a distant dream at the moment...

Qwerty, which company did you use?