Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cyprus FAQ...

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2005, 09:36 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyprus FAQ...

I'm thinking of taking a week's holiday in Cyprus.

Before the sarcastic remarks....
I've already searched on the forums for comments and it seems to be steer clear of Paphos, Limassol and probably Napa!

I'd appreciate helpful comments on which resort. I may be asking for trouble looking at the late deals starting from £99 but as long as the accommodation is relatively clean and there's cooking equipment (self-catering) and not far from a sandy beach - it's only for a week so I can't be too fussy.

Car hire will have to happen as I want to see historical sites etc, although mostly all I do is sit in the sun and roast

Larnaca or Protaras or ???

Ta
Little'un
Old 16 June 2005, 09:40 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

well im off to nappa on wednesday not that bad to be honest was'nt what i expected. full of skandinavians which is nice and nissi beach is quite good too
Old 16 June 2005, 09:42 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Do not stay in Limassol or Larnaca - they are s***holes. Paphos is okay as is Protaras.

Unless you are a young'un, I'd stay away from Napa too. It used to be overrun with kids..............
Old 16 June 2005, 09:42 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for Nappa great place go for it
Cheers
Colin
Old 16 June 2005, 09:43 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i went to protaras last year........and loved every second of it! can't think of a single thing i didn't like about the place,amazing weather,beaches,places to eat,night life (which isn't all clubs and pissed up idiots)

i really enjoyed it and when i get the chance i will go back!
Old 16 June 2005, 10:38 PM
skelly
Scooby Regular

Cool

My Parents live over there, been going to Cyprus for last 16 years so know it pretty well.

Larnaca is a coastal town with an airport, not really a holiday resort as such.

Protaras is very nice, family orientated, plenty to do, beach etc.....only down side is most of the ancient ruins are at the other end of the island.

Limassol is an old port that has expanded & expanded. The main centre is a busy shopping town with all the main designer type stores. as you move out of Limassol you come into the tourist strip.....Blackpool with sun might be a bit harsh but not too far away from the mark. If you carry on another few kms you come to an area called Amathus.

Amathus has plenty of good quality apartments, 4 or 5 of the top hotels on the island, good beach & plenty of good food & bars.....up until this year it was HQ for Rally Cyprus, nuff said.

Paphos is family based again, but also seems to be the target foe the more elderly visitors to the island. Plenty to do, good beach.

Coral Bay is a little further up the coast and is starting to be really developed now so is changing every time I go....probably the bit I know least.

As for the ancient stuff....
There is a site, Ancient Amathus, strangely walking distance from Amathus.
An open ampitheatre called Kourium is on the road just out of Limassol, as is 2 or 3 other very good sites.
In Paphos is the largest preserved mosaic floors on one site. Also there is the Valley/Tombs of the Kings, which is about 16 underground buriel chambers. These sites charge the disgusting fee of 50cents entrance (45p)!!

Hope this is off some help, by all means email me direct if you want any more help.

Skelly
Old 16 June 2005, 11:56 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by little'un

I've already searched on the forums for comments and it seems to be steer clear of Paphos, Limassol and probably Napa!

I'd appreciate helpful comments on which resort. I may be asking for trouble looking at the late deals starting from £99 but as long as the accommodation is relatively clean and there's cooking equipment (self-catering) and not far from a sandy beach - it's only for a week so I can't be too fussy.

Car hire will have to happen as I want to see historical sites etc, although mostly all I do is sit in the sun and roast

Little'un
huh don't ask your sister will you? I've only been there b4 and am going again this year for 2 weeks..

nowt wrong with paphos..
Old 17 June 2005, 12:03 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Default The North...

Anyone been to North Cyprus recently. A colleague is about to depart for a 2 week holiday. Think he's staying near Famagusta (sp).

J.
Old 17 June 2005, 08:59 AM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Wow, did'nt expect that much feedback already

Shows how Thomas Cook's website description for each town could be misleading. I don't want too much noise (ie clubs) but want to be able to sit on a nice beach and go looking at sights like the castle etc.

Little sis - I was going to ask you this weekend when I see you

Only can spend a week, as I'm probably going to New York later in the year to see my mate.
Old 17 June 2005, 12:57 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Marvelous - We are going to Limassol at the beginning of August - Is it really that bad? Thats cheered me up no end!!!!!
Old 17 June 2005, 03:39 PM
ScoobyDaz
Scooby Regular

Went to Limassol a couple of years back - It really is a nice resort

Daz
Old 17 June 2005, 04:27 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

....so long as you stay away from the Galatex. All squaddies and angry Cypriots...
Old 17 June 2005, 04:36 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by little'un

Ta
Little'un
I've been a couple of times and love it. I've stayed in the new part of Limassol and we are going back there for 10 days on honeymoon next Sunday All of the resorts in Cyprus are pretty nice so you can't really go far wrong.

For me I like Limassol because you are are in center of the island (sort of) so you can drive to pathos and Ayia Napa easily