Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Concorde successor

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2005, 03:57 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Concorde successor

In the BBC News today. Pity we couldn't get involved and have left it to the Frogs and Japs!

Geezer
Old 15 June 2005, 04:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Think 300 passengers might be optimistic. IIRC the passenger level on Concorde was very low.

Theres a program on one of the documentary channels about "Planes that never flew" and there is one about a very big super-sonic boeing aircraft. They got all but to the building of the real thing and decided it wouldn't work. The 747 was designed for haulage initially then some bright spark decided the fill it full of seats and save boeing.

Plus, Concorde never sold becuase almost instantly got banned from most airports for being too loud and the sonic boom upsetting cows or summat!!!

The Dreamliner I thought was a smidgen under sub-sonic. From the little knowledge I have of aircraft industry, bigger would appear to be better although not much faster - bums on seats etc.
Old 15 June 2005, 04:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the impression that they're falling between two stools.

They want enough seats to make it commercially viable, yet it only cuts the journey time by what, 20%?

If they don't watch out they'll make it too big to be quick, which will make it Just Another Jet. Certainly won't be son of Concorde, it'll be second cousin thrice removed. The advantage is that they're developing a fairly quick replacement to the 737 for the 21st century, but that's about it.
Old 15 June 2005, 05:24 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I had to re-read that report because I thought I got it wrong "split an investment of $1.84m (£1.01m) a year for 3 years" hmmm lets build a new supersonic plane with a £3 million R&D budget I mean come on, need to add a few noughts onto that surely!!!

Gary
Old 15 June 2005, 06:49 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

what the f*ck will £1million buy you in R&D terms on this scale??

a chairman, a director of research and a japaneses/french translators salary maybe???
Old 15 June 2005, 10:45 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Interesting piece. My take on this though is that if they want any new supersonic plane to succeed then its just got to have a flat four engine in it, running a modified dump valve, panel filter and exhaust, and some kind of JDM domestic flight map.

Good for 10K bhp at least!