Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Concorde at Brooklands ( Weybridge ) Museum

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 01:58 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Concorde at Brooklands ( Weybridge ) Museum

Just got back from taking my 7 year old daughter to see Concorde.

Really good exhibit, and a credit to all those volunteers who gave up their time to make it happen.

One fascinatiing fact. The 20 Concordes that actually flew racked up more supersonic hours than all the military jets that have flown since 1948.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:09 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

I haven't been to Brooklands for years. I don't think i've even seen the Wellington since it's been complete. I've seen the signs everywhere saying that the Concorde exhibition is now open (I work 1 minute up the road) and that's tempted me to go back again. Maybe one day!
Old 21 August 2006, 02:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Never should have been grounded IMO.

One crash and it was the start of the end. How many 737's have crashed ???
Old 21 August 2006, 04:23 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I love that plane, Bastid's took it out of service before I got a chance to go on it
Old 21 August 2006, 07:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Were they only grounded for commercial flights or can they still fly in special circumstances because I could swear I saw one landing into Edinburgh Airport this evening!
Old 21 August 2006, 08:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grounded as far as I know.

It may be an elaborate hoax using a paper plane.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:03 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No flights i'm affraid, all grounded, I doubt they will ever fly again as they will need an air worthiness certificate, and im sure Flight man can advise, I believe its way too expensive to gain the cert + some other red tape i've forgotten about !

Trending Topics

Old 21 August 2006, 09:09 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

It wasnt grounded, BA made the decision to pull Concorde service in the face of decling passengers and rising costs.

Virgin tried to buy the planes and fly them for the remainder of their air licence but BA refused to sell to the competition, rather prefering to give them to museums, Shame.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...rde/index.html

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 21 August 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think it is the FAA that designates Concorde and the Vulcan as a 'Very Complex Aircraft', airworthiness is a big deal for any aircraft, especially stuff like that, the minute it stops getting its proper maintenance and gets mothballed its pretty much end of, barring miracles.

God job really, wouldnt want just anyone deciding on whether a Concorde is safe to fly.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:54 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Were they only grounded for commercial flights or can they still fly in special circumstances because I could swear I saw one landing into Edinburgh Airport this evening!
You were either dreaming or on drugs....

....or both....
Old 21 August 2006, 09:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Buckfast or prolonged exposure to bright Orange paint, like licking toads the effect I beleive.
Old 21 August 2006, 11:22 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Doesnt the ticket apply to commercial flights? As long as it has no passengers it can fly in displays? Or have I got that wrong?
Old 22 August 2006, 07:31 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Doesnt the ticket apply to commercial flights? As long as it has no passengers it can fly in displays? Or have I got that wrong?
That's what I thought might be the case. What perhaps doesn't support that theory is that when they moved one from London to East Fortune they didn't fly Heathrow to Edinburgh but instead put it on a boat, took it up the east coast to Dunbar, along the A1 a little and then took a 'the way the crow flies' straight through farmers fields to East Fortune
Old 22 August 2006, 07:59 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They can still fall on populated areas, passengers or not.
Old 22 August 2006, 08:03 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Ok, i got a question that i thought i'd sneak in here rather than starting a new thread. On the point about supersonic flight;

If Concorde flew at say 1300mph, and the speed of sound is roughly half that.

So if Concorde arrived in NY after about three hours, does that mean that the sound of its engines is still "somewhere" in the sky for another three hours playing catch-up? How does it work, in simple words please.
Old 22 August 2006, 08:12 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Tel - this should help answer your query:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom
Old 22 August 2006, 08:16 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

That means i've got to read something.

But thanks.
Old 22 August 2006, 08:18 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by FlightMan
One fascinatiing fact. The 20 Concordes that actually flew racked up more supersonic hours than all the military jets that have flown since 1948.
Just out of curiosity though, how many military jets regularly fly supersonic? I'm sure i'm hopelessly wrong, but is it really that common? Doesn't it become very expensive to run them at those kinds of speeds?
Old 22 August 2006, 08:59 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

To try and answer a couple of questions.
As much as I'd love to see Concorde back in the air, I don't beieve it will ever happen. It really is such a complex aircraft, engineers qualified to get her back in the air will be few and far between, if someone tries to do it. And Airbus wont make spares.
I don't believe the CAA, who are the most beauracratic of Govt depts, would ever grant a licence. The licence applies to displays as well as commercial flights.
The aircraft now on display around the world are so far from the airworthy article, it isnt true. The Brooklands Concorde has a "false" nose cone, and "tail-fin". The originals were lost!
TelBoy, Leslie is your man for military stuff, but the thing is most mil jets can only run supersonic for a few minutes, before runing out of fuel. Concorde did it for hours at a time. Thats how it flew the most supersonic hours.
When you think that fast jet pilots need flight suits, parachutes, oxygen etc, and Concorde pax wore t-shirts, and drank champagne in the same environment, it reiterates what an amazing achievement it was. The computers that controlled the ramps within the engine bay ( these moved to create shockwaves to slow the air down from 1300mph to 500mph in 11 feet) are still so secret and effective, they were removed from all the aircraft before being sent to their final resting places. ie The Yanks didn't get their hands on them!
Old 22 August 2006, 09:03 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Fantastic aircraft, no doubt. Take all the flat Earth tree huggers up in one, that would dispel their zany notions. Big ball below you, black above you. Awesome.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:13 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by FlightMan
To try and answer a couple of questions.
As much as I'd love to see Concorde back in the air, I don't beieve it will ever happen. It really is such a complex aircraft, engineers qualified to get her back in the air will be few and far between, if someone tries to do it. And Airbus wont make spares.
I don't believe the CAA, who are the most beauracratic of Govt depts, would ever grant a licence. The licence applies to displays as well as commercial flights.
The aircraft now on display around the world are so far from the airworthy article, it isnt true. The Brooklands Concorde has a "false" nose cone, and "tail-fin". The originals were lost!
TelBoy, Leslie is your man for military stuff, but the thing is most mil jets can only run supersonic for a few minutes, before runing out of fuel. Concorde did it for hours at a time. Thats how it flew the most supersonic hours.
When you think that fast jet pilots need flight suits, parachutes, oxygen etc, and Concorde pax wore t-shirts, and drank champagne in the same environment, it reiterates what an amazing achievement it was. The computers that controlled the ramps within the engine bay ( these moved to create shockwaves to slow the air down from 1300mph to 500mph in 11 feet) are still so secret and effective, they were removed from all the aircraft before being sent to their final resting places. ie The Yanks didn't get their hands on them!
Add to that when the thing was designed and built and it really shows just how far we have "declined".

Can you imagine Britain trying to do something similar today - we can't event build a football stadium on time
Old 22 August 2006, 09:28 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
Add to that when the thing was designed and built and it really shows just how far we have "declined".

Can you imagine Britain trying to do something similar today - we can't event build a football stadium on time
Its worse than that. Its an Aussie company, using Polish workers that can't build it.

All we're supplying is the labour to sell burgers.
Old 22 August 2006, 10:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Military aircraft do fly supersonically regularly but as was said for relatively short periods since it does burn up the fuel rapidly. The Tornado is very impressive at low level with its acceleration to supersonic flight but the fuel consumption is horrific.

The Brooklands museum is well worth a visit, as a matter of interest I was amazed to see the Varsity there that I have flown a good few hours in my early RAF career.

Les
Old 22 August 2006, 06:49 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Les, can you eplain how Concorde could fly at mach 2 without reheat, ( I know it needed reheat to get there ) while supersonic military jets can't do the same? I've never worked that one out!
Cheers!
Old 23 August 2006, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Flightman.

I imagine thet the reheat was used purely to accelerate the aircraft up to supersonic cruise speed quickly and that the dry engine power was sufficient to maintain the speed. Slower acceleration by using the engines in dry power could actually use more fuel in the end. The engines were very powerful as well.

Les
Old 23 August 2006, 11:24 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leslie
Flightman.

I imagine thet the reheat was used purely to accelerate the aircraft up to supersonic cruise speed quickly and that the dry engine power was sufficient to maintain the speed. Slower acceleration by using the engines in dry power could actually use more fuel in the end. The engines were very powerful as well.

Les
Les,

Thanks for the explaination!