Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New career move , but what ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 10:06 PM
4ndy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New career move , but what ?

At the moment have what most people crave for , nice house, company car,car for missus ,Beutiful wife and 2 yr old boy and my sti ra for the weekends !!!

"So whats ya F'ckin point "

Well i'm bored senseless with my job as a Railway Telecoms senior engineer.I have to work all over the country on the mainlines and after 8 yrs ive had enough . The main problems are job satisfaction or the lack of and the fact that I miss my family when working away

So heres the plan £15000 to invest into a company , thinking mobile car valet ???

I know its an unusual request but hey , any ideas welcome

We have up to now:-
1 Driving Instructor
2 Financial advisor
3 Dent doctor (could work well with Valet company)
4 Invest in Chocolate Fire guard Venture !!
5 Own a Pub
6 Property Developer

Last edited by 4ndy; 19 May 2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:39 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Driving Instructor. 30k a year + fringe benifits of teaching all those sexy 18 year old girls. (I'm 22!)
Old 19 May 2005, 12:14 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Got to admit to thinking along similar lines myself, although I might end up with the slightly less radical step of just changing jobs to a different company, depending on what I find. Some of the sort of ideas I'd toyed with were franchises in suitable companies that do things I find interesting. The franchise/affiliation type idea can help a lot with the difficulty of building up your customer base for the first year or two, as well as helping you get over various hurdles with starting your own businesses. I think you can do that sort of thing as a driving instructor, as well as (obviously) various chains of shops, eateries etc. Don't know if there are any mobile valet chains that can follow that route or not, but suggest it would be worthwhile finding out if that's what you want to do.

If you come up with something really good that needs 2 people with that sort of investment each, I'd be up for joining you
Old 19 May 2005, 12:42 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

You thought about training up as one of thos paintless dent removal chaps? (Could perhaps go hand in hand with the valet thing)

You always get people having prangs in their car. Don't know what their annual earnings are, but they must be quite good - I was charged about £50 for 5 mins work. Few of them a day and you'd be laughing
Old 19 May 2005, 12:45 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

I took a masive pay cut four years ago to become a trainee financial adviser. I was paid £17500 for the first year H S B C with and felt like a right c£nt until I learned how things worked.

I now work for a major company, easily earn £80k/year, play golf all week when I dont have appointments and would recommend it to anyone.

All you need to show is some commitment to obtaining FPC exams, which are pretty easy for a reasonably intelligent person.

Financial Advisers get a bad press but if you get in with the right compnay/crowd, you will not look back.
Old 19 May 2005, 11:52 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I now work for a major company, easily earn £80k/year
Old 19 May 2005, 11:56 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Driving Instructor. 30k a year + fringe benifits of teaching all those sexy 18 year old girls. (I'm 22!)
Don't you have to put in lots of hrs to get this sort of money?
Nick
Old 19 May 2005, 11:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And mainly evenings and weekends due to client needs, I'd have thought.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:21 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
And mainly evenings and weekends due to client needs, I'd have thought.
And people tend to avoid you at parties incase you try the old " have you used up your tax free allowance this financial year " chat up line
Old 19 May 2005, 12:32 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I've often thought the same myself. Big problem I have is I'd love a job the relates to the things I enjoy, the countryside, mountain biking, hill walking or automotive but I can't really see anything that's going to get me the sort of money I earn now as an electronics engineer / embedded softy.

I'd love to own a nice Inn somewhere, good quality food and drink, mountain biker / walker friendly accomodation, guided walks, bike rides, other activities. Problem is the up front investment would be huge (for me) and there's a massive amount of work to make it profitable. So many of these types of business fall by the wayside.

I'm sticking to the day job for now
Old 19 May 2005, 05:43 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

buy a rundown property. re paint re decorate,new kitchen and bathroom, add a conservatory. make a profit. keep going up .your out lay on the right property will be between 10-16k without fees. over 3 months max. make 10-15k (6k on conservatory alone)thats 40-60k plus per year after fees
Old 19 May 2005, 06:05 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Invest in my chocolate fireguard idea!
Old 19 May 2005, 06:16 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C 8HEP
buy a rundown property. re paint re decorate,new kitchen and bathroom, add a conservatory. make a profit. keep going up .your out lay on the right property will be between 10-16k without fees. over 3 months max. make 10-15k (6k on conservatory alone)thats 40-60k plus per year after fees
property is a good thing to get into if you know what you are doing, you can make a lot of money. that is what i am currently on with, and my day job, for the moment
Old 19 May 2005, 07:41 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Originally Posted by pete1977
Invest in my chocolate fireguard idea!
Hold on there could be a copyright issue with my chocolate teapots, perhaps I'll try glider engines and tartan paint instead!!!

On a more serious note I would be careful about getting into the car valeting thing as its seems to be really over-catered for at the moment. It might just be unfortunate where we are but theres so much competition its ridiculous. Whatever you decide to do, its always worth carrying out plenty of research into what your potential competitors are up to before jumping in with both feet.

Ive used a number of mountain bike guides over the years and it seems like this is gaining in popularity. If you can do this over the summer and tie it in over the winter months with something else then that could be a possible earner. Perhaps you wouldnt need a pub to do this, a cottage somewhere to renovate and hire out could work too for self-catering, etc.

Last edited by Beefy; 19 May 2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:27 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Start a close protection company in afghanistan,its the next big thing!(already oversubscribed in iraq)