Best 42" TV ? Plasma, LCD....?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 12:07 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 42" TV ? Plasma, LCD....?

All

Anyone have any reccomendations on this ? Just moved to a bigger house & my old 32" looks a little lost in the living room.

R
Old 18 May 2005, 12:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I was gonna get a 42" but went for a smaller screen to get the best from my 2k budget and went with 37" Panasonic Viera...

If was was looking for a plasma Id only be looking at Panasonics or Pioneers, the rest are streets behind..

if your on a tighter budget than them makes make sure you take a good look/test the 1's you are interested in and STAY AWAY from any thing TINY sell....

Hitachi and NEC aint bad screens IIRC...

www.avforums.com
Old 18 May 2005, 12:22 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

http://www.which.co.uk/index.jsp
Old 18 May 2005, 12:23 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Make sure it's HDMI if you don't fancy swapping it (again) for a while.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:36 PM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

NEC or Panasonic for plasmas. LCD screens at around 40" are considerably more expensive than the equivalent plasmas, and few and far between.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:39 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davegtt
I was gonna get a 42" but went for a smaller screen to get the best from my 2k budget and went with 37" Panasonic Viera...

If was was looking for a plasma Id only be looking at Panasonics or Pioneers, the rest are streets behind..

www.avforums.com
I second that, i have a 42" panasonic 7th generation plasma. Awesome screen, but you have to be very careful with the inputs on plasma's - i think its a big screen issue. If the signal quality is poor then the display will just amplify all of the imperfections. However rigged up to a proper progressive scan DVD player with component inputs and the picture is nothing short of stunning.

The plasma vs LCD dilema is one you have to decide for yourself, i really like LCD's for their picture definition but in the end the ones we were looking at still had chosting present and were way too expensive to put up with something that i would always be noticing on the screen.

Personally id buy panasonic till the cows come home, pioneer are equally as good, maybe a tab better, but they cost so much more that its just not worth it.

Also dont be put off with the thought of screen burn on a plasma, the latest gen panasonics have all but eradicated it provided you run it on a modest contrast/brightness setting for the first 200 hours, and dont leave a static picture on it overnight. Even then you will be unlucky to end up with screen burn. We've had ours for 8 months now - its had hours of sport with logo's in the corners all the time, xbox, and just standard TV playing on it - not one hint of screen burn.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hitachi 42PD5200 all the way, absolutely stunning screen if money aint really an object got the extra mile and get a Pioneer 43" FDE/XDE model
Old 18 May 2005, 01:30 PM
madras
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've had a Pioneer 43" FDE for 6 months now and love it, well worth every penny, roll on HDTV!

madras
Old 18 May 2005, 01:30 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Second Messiah's wise words. In spring 2006 Sky will start broadcasting in HD TV format and existing broadcast format is set to be phased out completely by 2010 (ie your old plasma will be obsolete).

So unless you buy a new telly with HDTV capability now you will be having to change it in a few years time. Prob is there are not many HDTVs on the market although a "HDTV ready" accreditation scheme is currently being put together by the manufacturers.

I recommend you invest in a copy of What LCD and Plasma Mag.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:42 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

please tell me that the phillips 42" plasma aint to bad!

I stood in the shop with them running and found the lg picture was poo but the phillips was great.

I'm being very carefull regarding picture burn but after reading about leaving the set in a low contrast setting for the first 200 hours should I be doing this with the phillips??

any comments greatly recieved. (not to thread hijack! )

Ads
Old 18 May 2005, 02:12 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

HD DVD players already available, HD Sky due next year & the next gen games consoles are all HD too.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

specialx, IMO the philips looked OK from when I was looking 6 months ago.. although all the reviews went against what my eyes saw... went with something recommended in the end... a plasma will only ever be as good as its input quality.... ohh and yes, I recommend you turn the contrast down in its first 200 hours of bedding in (just like and engine you'd break in easily)

In spring 2006 Sky will start broadcasting in HD TV format and existing broadcast format is set to be phased out completely by 2010 (ie your old plasma will be obsolete).
Nar, analogue TV will be phased out for then but not the normal digital broadcasting.... otherwise everybody has to buy a new TV in the next 5 years.... where as all they need now is a digi box. Its not going to happen. it'll be another 2-3 years before HDTV becomes the norm and its going to vastly expensive.... Im sick of people saying Sky are releasing HDTV next summer... it'll be released on trial on 1 or 2 channels for the first year or so... gradually being transmitted over more channels

Now If I understand correctly too you should be able to watch this through a normal non HDTV compatible set anyhow... just not at its optimum quality

so pelase ignore alot of what gets spouted about

Last edited by davegtt; 18 May 2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

First channels to go HD on SKy are going to be Movies & Sports. Personally I'm not that bothered if any others go HD after that - except for 24 on Sky 1.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:26 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Cheers Davegt That's me running home to turn down the contrast then!

I was very happy with the picture quality on the phillips but I used to install home cinema for a large Hi Fi shop in Nottingham so I was well aware of just how dependant good interconnects are for good pictures, I remember the wife going mad at me when I paid £98 for a single svhs lead last year, I'm soooo glad I did as when I hooked it up with the plasma the picture was better than it was in the shop! Bonus!!! (please note I am using my amp as a visual controller)

Ads