Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Would you help a store security guard stop a fleeing shoplifter?
No, I'd ignore it, not my business
21.79%
Yes, I'd try and stop the thief myself
25.64%
Yes I'd try and slow the thief down for the guard to stop
52.56%
No, I'd slow the guard down!
0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Shoplifting..........what would YOU do ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 01:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Shoplifting..........what would YOU do ?

Just wondering what others would do, having been in this situation myself.

Alcazar
Old 16 May 2005, 01:12 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just wondering what others would do, having been in this situation myself.

Alcazar

Hello

Well, should you wish to start there is some invaluable information here: http://www.genepool.addr.com/shoplift.html

Steve
Old 16 May 2005, 01:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would depend on a few things:-

1. Does the guard need the excercise?

2. Is the thief an elderly, cashstrapped, victim of the Tory government?

3. Will I get some free goodies if I step in?

Pete
Old 16 May 2005, 01:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why should the scum get away with it and cause prices to go up as well!

Les
Old 16 May 2005, 02:02 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Do what I did a couple of years ago and trip said shoplifter as he was running out of the shop with guard in hot pursuit.

The speed and intensity of the impact of shoplifters face to concrete was something to behold

Not easy to protect one's face when hands are full of garments nicked off a rail

Justice was most certainly done that day.
Old 16 May 2005, 02:05 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Diablo, had that very image in mind when I posted my vote !
Old 16 May 2005, 02:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

in nottingham about this time last year in "Next" was with the misses and this tramp looked well suspicious, I looked at him for a moment, he walked over an picked up 3 handbags of the shelf and put them under his coat (I was stood about 1 metre from him) I couldnt believe my eyes, looked for a security guard and found 1 buy the door, as I got to him this tramp walked out seconds later, explained what I just saw (the beep beep thingys didnt work when he walked out either) and the guard walked out casually onto the street. I pointed the guy out and he said ohh well. and walked back inside. no thanks for letting us know or anything like that..... felt like going back in and helping myself to something a bit more valuable
Old 16 May 2005, 02:23 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

Ran after a thief who stole from our shop. He was so surprised that someone gave chase that he placed article on the ground despite having waiting car. (Although he wouldn't have had the time to get himself and the stolen goods in the car).
Just coulldn't stand to let him get away with it.
Old 16 May 2005, 02:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

well, what I would do is go in with an accomplice, while he creates a distraction (Knocks over displays, has a heart attack, kicks off with the manager) I grab what I want and walk out of the place casual as I like.
Then its off to the lamb and flag to see Big Dave who will take them off me for a very tidy sum.

astraboy.
Old 16 May 2005, 03:19 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Seens loads of shoplifters in Wickes in the past. What hacks me off is that the bloody security guard at the Cricklewood branch constantly eyes me up while totally ignoring the thieves who walk straight past him.

I was in Halfords last year and this young girl walks straight past very slowly with a massive box under her jacket - it was so obvious! I'm looking at her and so is the girl at the cash till but they don't do anything - I suppose the staff don't need the hassle.
Old 16 May 2005, 03:28 PM
ChrisB

These days, I think I'd worry that I'd get a smack in the face or a knife in the ribs for my troubles...
Old 16 May 2005, 03:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got to expect a smack in the chops, but as Chris said I'd certainly be more aware that someone could pull a knife.
Old 16 May 2005, 03:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Only if he/she was running in my general direction. And I would run at them and tackle them full on rugby style - usually floors the average skinny theiving ******.

If they put up a fight or were armed, I'd back off. I value myself more than a pair of stolen knickers

After any succesful arrest I would also "disappear" - too many reprocussions in this sad day and age.
Old 16 May 2005, 03:58 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Yes I would have a go. But Like ALI-B says would wait around. And wouldnt give my name and address to the police.
Old 16 May 2005, 04:00 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Only if he/she was running in my general direction. And I would run at them and tackle them full on rugby style - usually floors the average skinny theiving ******.

If they put up a fight or were armed, I'd back off. I value myself more than a pair of stolen knickers

After any succesful arrest I would also "disappear" - too many reprocussions in this sad day and age.
As above regards disappearing afterwards but I think I would take the opportunity to kick seven bells out of the one thieving pikey I'd caught on behalf of the the thousands I haven't
Old 16 May 2005, 05:34 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I've done it in the past - but not so sure I would now. These days I'd be worried about getting knifed, shot, beaten up - who knows.

Shoplifting is wrong - but at the end of the day they're only stealing 'things' - and fairly low value 'things' at that - really not worth me putting my safety at risk for.
Old 16 May 2005, 05:35 PM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

Let them get on with their personal enrichment scheme.
Old 16 May 2005, 05:47 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

I manage a shop, and two to three times a day we have fairly serious shoplifters in. We have 20 plus camera's a guard and a CCTV op. None of them are as good as a tip off from the public. Try to help if you can. One thing to remember most of them steal to fund a habbit. Once the problem is out of control these harmless shoplifters move on to mugging burglary and stealing Subaru's.
Old 16 May 2005, 07:12 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I worked as a security guard at Asda in Golbourne near wigan - one of Britains inbreeding capitals... Anyhoo, I was nothing more than a deterant to keep them on their toes. Secretly there wasnt a cat in hells chance I was going to tackle some smack head over a bottle of scotch...
'Is that a hyperdermic syringe digging in my thigh or are you pleased to see me?' - nah not for £6 per hour...
So now as a member of the public, I wouldnt do diddly if I saw it right under my nose- I would only protect friends, family and Man United supporters these days...
P
Old 16 May 2005, 07:47 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
Seens loads of shoplifters in Wickes in the past. What hacks me off is that the bloody security guard at the Cricklewood branch constantly eyes me up while totally ignoring the thieves who walk straight past him.

I was in Halfords last year and this young girl walks straight past very slowly with a massive box under her jacket - it was so obvious! I'm looking at her and so is the girl at the cash till but they don't do anything - I suppose the staff don't need the hassle.
what car do u drive? i'm local too just over in kilburn!! have seen a few but never really know who it is. i'm usually with my brother in his pearl white 1995 wrx with "the gold exhuast" as i have been told refer to it as. lol.

jabran
Old 16 May 2005, 08:27 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1505
I manage a shop, and two to three times a day we have fairly serious shoplifters in. We have 20 plus camera's a guard and a CCTV op. None of them are as good as a tip off from the public. Try to help if you can. One thing to remember most of them steal to fund a habbit. Once the problem is out of control these harmless shoplifters move on to mugging burglary and stealing Subaru's.
You've got that the wrong way around from my experience.

Many of the shoplifters I have dealt with used to be muggers/burglars etc and have gone down the slippery drugs slope to a point where they are incapable of robbing anyone or doing over houses due to their total dependency on smack/crack, leaving the relatively 'easy' chore of shoplifting or begging their only means of getting drugs money.

I wouldn't advise anyone to tackle a shoplifter as lots of them carry dirty, infected needles and some will use them as weapons or threaten anyone with them if cornered.

Why risk getting HIV/Hep C or similar for the sake of a £15 DVD?
Old 16 May 2005, 09:03 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ali_j
what car do u drive? i'm local too just over in kilburn!! have seen a few but never really know who it is. i'm usually with my brother in his pearl white 1995 wrx with "the gold exhuast" as i have been told refer to it as. lol.

jabran
No scoob, mate, drive a CTR and normally take my manky other motor to Wickes. And I'm not local it's just that the Cricklewood and Edmonton branches are equidistant from me in Barnet.
Old 16 May 2005, 09:08 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I had the "pleasure" of working for Halfords in my youth and saw shoplifters on an almost daily basis.
We had plenty of eposodes of chasing people across the carparl etc, but it all tailed off in later years as the shoplifters bacame more manky and more desperate. One pleasant chap was known to have hepatitus os some kind or other and if confront would do his best to spit all over you and try to bite you if a struggle ensued, which he would usualy try to provoke.
It saddens me a bit to say this, but doing the right thing these days just isnt worth the risk.

As a member of the public, if you were stabbed with a dirty syringe by some desperado for tryng to stop them stealing, what thanks would you get?
Old 16 May 2005, 09:10 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

jeez, check the state of my typing there ^^^^^
Sorry.