Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dentists!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2005, 12:09 PM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dentists!!

What do you people think about English Dentists?

I had a problem last week and found myself at the emergency dental clinic at the hospital as it was easier and much quicker than getting an appointment at my dentist(they offered me a May appointment) this is for emergency work.

The emergency dept at the hospital can only really patch you up, which in this case it turned out my Bottom Wisdom teeth were fcuked, and needed treatment ASAP as they were dangerously close to a nerve and main artery.

Told the Dentist this and again only offered May Appointment.

I ended up flying to my mums in Spain on Friday having an appointment with the family dentist there, and he took the teeth out straight away as he also said it was dangerous. From my experience the Spanish Dentists are far more advanced than any Dentist i have been to in this country, they have pc's and cameras etc which record all treatment and can take xrays and pictures of teeth straight onto the screen without any wait or chunky equipment going round your head.

Also i was told it was cost me between 4-5 hundred pounds to have my wisdom teeth out here, I went to spain and had the treatment and changed 2 metal fillings to white ones for under 200 quid. My other half came with me and he checked her teeth as well, and did it for free(do you get that sort of hospitality here?)

From now on it may be worth me going to Spain once a year for a holiday and getting dental work done.

Do anyone on here think Dentistry has gone downhill here, and find it hard to get an appointment, well unless you go private and pay through the roof.

BTW it is tuesday and mouth is still hurting, lol when does the pain go away! sick of eating soup.

Look forward to some replies on this one.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:15 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I mentioned on another thread somewhere, that British dentists are regarded as some of the worst in the western world.

I really do not know why, as most of them are private and as such should want to offer a great service that people will wish to continue to use.

Steve
Old 26 April 2005, 12:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Been with my dentist for over 15 years.
2 fillings in that time, both without anethsetic, neither hurt during or after.
Never been late to be seen for an appointment, indeed usually in and out before the due appointment time.
Had 1 emergency appointement, called at 9am was in the chair for 11.30am when I broke a tooth.

A1 service - what more can I say. I have stayed with him since I moved and now travel over 40 miles to see him.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My dentist was so fantastic I ended up marrying her
Old 26 April 2005, 01:03 PM
D70
BANNED

Dentists are a unfunny joke in the UK. I had a full canilisation (root Canal) and ceramic crown for €300 here in Spain.

Same treatment with added pain and waiting time in the UK £500.

Last edited by AndyC_772; 26 April 2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 26 April 2005, 01:40 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Southern guy,wht did you have the 2 metal fillings changed to white,are they in a noticable place?
Old 26 April 2005, 02:13 PM
D70
BANNED

Originally Posted by **************
Just about to write a very strong letter of complaint to the local dentist who treated the Mrs. While trying to remove a tooth the dentist snapped it. Instead of sending her to emergency dental surgery the dentist told the mrs to go home and wait for the surgeon to contact her in a couple of days.

Anyway Mrs went home, within 48 hours later she was in agony. I took her back to the same dentist who then said oh yes you need immediate surgery now, im calling the hospital. Drove her 30+ miles to East Grinstead hospital that has a facial unit where she had emergency surgery on her mouth to cut out the infected tooth, remove the nerve and clean out the canals. The infection had also spread up into her sinuses. This was extremely painful for her

The surgeon who treated her was shocked that she hadn't been referred for immediate surgery when the tooth snapped leaving half of it submerged in the gum and then not treated.

Since then the mrs has had to go back to have the wound re opened to remove dead tissue as she has ended up with a "dry socket" due to the trauma caused by the original dentist making a huge **** up. A dry socket is extremely unpleasant and the mrs is now in a hell of a lot of pain again all because the original dentist didn't have a fcukin clue what they were doing.

I will be threatening them with legal action because they were negligent beyond belief and shouldn't be operating if they hand out this sort of treatment. The surgeon was shocked at what a hashed job had been done. This is the state of nhs dentistry in this country. It couldn't have been any worse basically from what the surgeon said about what had been done. People like this shouldn't be allowed to **** peoples lives up.

Oh and to complete the story, the wait for the surgeon to contact her was in fact a letter saying it would be 13 weeks before she could be seen! Thank goodness for emergency dentists and the facial/dentistry unit at East Grinstead hospital!
That is ******* awful B2Zero, all sympathy to your mrs, I've had major work done on my molar this last few weeks and I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I'd had it done by an incompetant like the dentist in this case.

I have to say I'd be considering revenge at this point.
Old 26 April 2005, 02:19 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

<shudder>

I'm off to hide behind the settee until this thread has finished
Old 26 April 2005, 02:25 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Just about to write a very strong letter of complaint to the local dentist who treated the Mrs. While trying to remove a tooth the dentist snapped it.
This happened to me too, with a wisdom tooth. The dentist eventually managed to get the roots out himself, but only after 2 1/2 hours in the chair and 2 re-applications of anaesthetic! Even then he didn't get it all and the wound got inflamed about 3 months afterwards and some little shards of bone came out. I didn't really blame him, it can be just bad luck, some teeth are harder than others. However, what annoyed me was the fact he didn't admit anything was wrong at the time, but I saw the "oh ****" look he gave his assistant when it happened!
Old 26 April 2005, 02:34 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

Old 26 April 2005, 02:42 PM
D70
BANNED

LOL yep i've had it too, with one of my canines or what ever they are at the front but round a bit The dentist had both feet on the bottom of the chair leaning back pulling as hard as he could to get it out my mouth, it then snapped. He then decided if he couldn't pull it out he would cut my gums open and twist the reaminder of it out I can still hear the grinding and crunching of bone in my jaw as the tooth was too big to come out its socket and smashed the socket as it was twisted out It was horrendous. That was the time I came on here to complain of getting that parking ticket ages ago when I had to make an emergency stop at the chemists on the way home to stem the flood of blood coming out my mouth
I remember that thread Bravo and it did not make pleasurable reading. I would have killed the traffic warden if I'd got my hands on him.

All this doesn't dredge up my finest memories it has to be said.

Sincerely sorry to hear you've suffered as well ajm. All kidding aside this **** is no laughing matter. Hard to believe something so small can cause such pain and have such ramifications.

Clean 3 times a day and floss people!
Old 26 April 2005, 02:42 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Try living in West Wales!

If any dentist declares it will take NHS patients the queue has been known to start the night before the doors open. Don't know if its shown on national news but here its a shocking state of affairs.

A work colleague who has lived here for 2 years can't get a dentist here so travels to Bournemouth to his previous dentist. My mother also has to travel back to Oxford in order to see a dentist.

I have found one locally but that only due to sneaking in when they accepted my 3 year old daughter. First appointment we missed by about an hour (our fault accepted) and when we rang to re-appoint they struck us off instantly. I had to go there and and appeal to thier better nature for striking off a young child. I also find most dental secretaries are amongst the rudest I have ever encountered.

As for dentists themselves I've only been to one that scared me enough not to go again. Spoke mostly welsh to me even though he knew I'm english, was very unkept looking and the equipment looked like something from dark ages.

Last edited by EddScott; 26 April 2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26 April 2005, 02:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D70
Clean 3 times a day and floss people!
I do,......and never drink coke,fizzy drinks,eat sweets,buscuits,take no sugar in tea but still end up having fillings.
Old 26 April 2005, 02:48 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by boxst
I mentioned on another thread somewhere, that British dentists are regarded as some of the worst in the western world.
Steve
I though all our dentists were from around the world, so do we get the rejects?

My dentist is gentle but always giving me fillings etc.
To visit is 200 mile round trip (where I used to live), not sure if my local dentist is taking on patients yet .

My other half uses a local dentist, but I think he is a butcher. Treatment is never finished properly and he always causes pain (this also puts me off local ones).
Old 26 April 2005, 02:55 PM
ChrisB

I've been with the same dentist for twenty years now. He was NHS when we joined but went private a good fews years. Always been superb for anyone in our family. He opened up specially one Sunday for my Mum and even gave the local chemist a bell to get an emergency prescription the same day.
Old 26 April 2005, 03:05 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Try living in West Wales!

If any dentist declares it will take NHS patients the queue has been known to start the night before the doors open. Don't know if its shown on national news but here its a shocking state of affairs.

A work colleague who has lived here for 2 years can't get a dentist here so travels to Bournemouth to his previous dentist. My mother also has to travel back to Oxford in order to see a dentist.

I have found one locally but that only due to sneaking in when they accepted my 3 year old daughter. First appointment we missed by about an hour (our fault accepted) and when we rang to re-appoint they struck us off instantly. I had to go there and and appeal to thier better nature for striking off a young child. I also find most dental secretaries are amongst the rudest I have ever encountered.

As for dentists themselves I've only been to one that scared me enough not to go again. Spoke mostly welsh to me even though he knew I'm english, was very unkept looking and the equipment looked like something from dark ages.
Wasn't it in Wales recently when that guy was turned away from several dentists with a bad abscess that got so bad in the end it closed off his airway and he nearly died!

Edit: Here --> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4016547.stm

Old 26 April 2005, 03:39 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, Gotta have a wisdom tooth out from the corner of my mouth in a month or so, oh how i am so not looking forward to it
Old 26 April 2005, 04:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have (had?) a full blown phobia when it comes to dentists - all comes from waking up from a general anaesthetic when I was having two teeth pulled because my 2nd set came through too early... just as he pulled a tooth out...

and then there was the time I needed a tooth pulling and the idiot dentist injected the anaesthetic into the abcess! No numbing, nothing - I had to physically restrained on the chair because the son-of-a-bitch was killing me!

Anyway. I had a shattered crown that had got infected and desparately needing sorting - there was a dentists at the top of the road where I lived (Beaufort Rd Dental Surgery for those people in Burton) and I went in for an emergency appointment.

I told the assistant (who was incredibly kind to a terrified wimp like me!) and she made sure the dentist knew.

Okay, this was dentist was absolutely bloody stunning! Majorly pregnant as well and by heck she was a looker. Here's me absolutely cacking my pants and this gorgeous woman putting her face within inches of mine while I try to stop drooling....

She gave me some anti-biotics 'cos she couldn't pull the tooth as it was... abcess... so I came back a week later and she was great - numbing gel, and her hand over my eyes so I couldn't feel / see the needle... and I barely felt the tooth go!

Same again just a few weeks back - Dentist in Mickleover - I actually cracked a tooth when I was ill as my teeth were chattering so much! this guy was a right clown totally put me at my ease and filled a tooth in no time - very very good Service.

I suppose it is like any industry - you get good and bad
Old 26 April 2005, 04:46 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

If nothing else these stories act as an incentive to clean your teeth.

The only bad experience i had was when a dentist dislocated my jaw and i had to go to hospital to get it reset.
Old 26 April 2005, 05:06 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a British dentist just outside Lisbon. He charges 50 euros a check-up and clean, and found and filled a small cavity in my son's tooth last week during the checkup for 75 euros total.

He's making a freaking fortune from my wife, who's had erm imperfect teeth since childhood, but she's happy so far with his service. Another one had looked and suggested implants (teeth, guys, teeth ) but he decided the previous work was structurally weak as it hadn't been thought through; strengthen it properly and implants not necessary. Saved us a five-figure sum She also appreciated that previous ones use the crappy film X-rays - this one just puts the images straight through onto his laptop.

I've never had any problems with dentists, so can't comment on prices, service, etc.