Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'kin mice

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2005, 10:45 AM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 'kin mice

Got into the shower this morning, thought it was a bit funny that there was loads of seed in the bottom of the bath, then discovered a mouse lodging in the plug hole. The "seeds" were mouse sh*te. I got out of the bath pretty rapid.

I then decided to try and lob the thing out of the window, but mr. mouse had other ideas and squeezed down the plug hole while I was trying to grab him. I thought maybe a large amount of water would flush him down the drain, but mr. mouse evidently didn't fancy a cold shower, and tried to crawl back up the drain, getting himself stuck in the grate thing in the process.

I tell you, this was all I needed at 6 am in the morning . A bedraggled mouse was now stuck in my plug hole, and I didn't fancy trying to grab his head to pull him out. I thought a bit of lubrication might help, so I gave him a good squirt of baby oil. This didn't go down too well, but he did manage to wriggle out as a result.

Shortly after he was taking a one way flight to a remote part of east london.

Seriously though, this mouse situation is getting out of hand - they seem to be everywhere. I have tried trapping and poison, but neither seem to have done more than make a temporary dent in the population. I've got a cat on order, but it's not going to be ready for another 3 months or so. Wtf am I supposed to do until then? I can't be doing with these shenanigans every morning.
Old 26 April 2005, 10:50 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Buy a horse!

hunting horses

Old 26 April 2005, 10:52 AM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

Great idea - i guess having a mouse in the bath won't seem too much of a problem compared to finding a horse in there.
Old 26 April 2005, 10:54 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Better than finding one in your bed i suppose.

Seriously, there's not a whole lot you can do to stop them getting in. Be glad that it's not rats.
Old 26 April 2005, 11:02 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a cat!
Old 26 April 2005, 11:29 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

eBay them! I'm sure there are those that wanna buy pet mice And if the mice keep coming then so does your revenue stream
Old 26 April 2005, 11:46 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Or you can make a tasty snack:

-=-=
Mouse Pie

5 fat field mice

1 cup macaroni

1/2 thinly sliced medium onion

1 medium can tomatoes

1 cup cracker crumbs

salt and pepper

Boil macaroni 10 minutes. While it is cooking, fry the field mice long enough to fry out some of the excess fat. Grease a casserole with some of this fat and put a layer of macaroni on it. Add onions, then tomatoes, salt and pepper well. Add field mice and cover with remaining macaroni. Sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until mice are well done. (Don't have any field mice? You could use 10 little sausages)

-=-=

Steve
Old 26 April 2005, 12:31 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

It has taken us 14 months to rid our house of mice, and we have terminated about 20 mice in the process. 18 with traps and 2 found dead outside assumed due to the poison, how many are dead and rotting under the floorboards i dread to think. The only way I think we are clear of them is the fact the trap has been empty for about a month now...

We had at one point three traps in the same area, and we were getting three mice evey night... Then a bit of a lull, and then we have had about 1 a week. I am guessing the problem will return in the autum when they try to come back in to avoid the cold weather... I am taking the lull to only be tempoary
Old 26 April 2005, 12:39 PM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nexuas
It has taken us 14 months to rid our house of mice, and we have terminated about 20 mice in the process.
What bait did you find to be most effective? At one point peanut butter seemed to work, but then I went on to bacon rind (uncooked).

As you say, the problem is that you get rid of one lot, and then as soon as the weather looks a bit iffy, a whole new crowd show up.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:45 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I have mice in the garage occasionally, and the best bait appears to be chocolate.

I use the humane traps first (so I can show my children the little mouse before it gets liberated in the forest) and then the "normal" 50 pence snap traps if I get bored with them stealing the chocolate without being caught.

STeve.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:56 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I know it goes against all my bubble and daisy principles, but you gotta be brutal with the little buggars! I had mice once and tried all the humane ways - trapping them nicely and even driving to a fecking great field 2 miles away so I could release them without them coming back - but nothing worked.

After one of the little ******* bit me whilst I was trying to remove it humanely (resulting in a load of blood - they can really hang on with those teeth - and a painful Tetanus shot) and after finding their pooh on my kitchen work surfaces - I got horrid and put the poison down. Seemed to do the trick!

(Oh and sucking them up the hoover was fairly effective as well - the hose bit so they went in whole!)

Old 26 April 2005, 01:13 PM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
After one of the little ******* bit me whilst I was trying to remove it humanely
Which is why I didn't want to grab the one that was stuck in my bath plug. Took about 1/2 an hour to get it inot a box, in the end.

They look cute but they are a real PITA. The other day I discovered that a 3 kg bag of flour had been turned into a mouse restaurant (I thought it would be ok as it was on a shelf 6 ft off the ground, didn't know how good at climbing they are)
Old 26 April 2005, 01:38 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Cadbury Caramel. 100% sucess rate, as it is gooey and sticks to the trap, they can not knock it off without trap triggering. You want an all metal trap, rather than the wooden based paddle types you can get from B&Q...
Old 26 April 2005, 01:43 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Now that is what you need!!
Old 26 April 2005, 01:47 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Nuke them

Speak to chaos. about it
Old 26 April 2005, 02:15 PM
Kuohu
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bloody mice get everywhere....

Old 29 April 2005, 01:51 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I just caught one in my garage! With the "humane" trap as well ,amazing.

Off to liberate it ...

Steve
Old 29 April 2005, 03:10 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I use chocolate on the traps. When I first noticed infestation (all our spare food is kept in the garage and was being scoffed as well as the little beasts eating through all of the Xmas presents that were chocolate based), I put down three traps and three poison trays. Got three beasties a night in the traps for about a week, and three months later I'm getting about one a fortnight in traps, and another dead poisoned dude either sat in the poison traps or nearby.

Using plastic snap traps from HomeBase with dark chocolate bait, and some of the 'much nastier than the rest' poison from the same place. Don't like the idea of wooden traps as they won't clean as well and will keep germs?

Joolz
Old 29 April 2005, 03:27 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

We had mice over the winter and I must have bought every single trap going - humane, electricuting ones, snap ones etc but only caught one in 3 weeks. I finally called the experts and they said traps are rubbish - poison is the only way - so he put loads of poison down and that did the trick.

The bloody things climbed a wall and ate through my skiing jacket (on a hook) to find a choccy bar in the pocket !! They sure are cleverer than you think.