One for the fish keepers

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 11:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking One for the fish keepers

Hi

We've recently taken on an aquarium at home, it was a friends but he lost interest and we've got it complete with 2 white mountain cloud minnow things!

What would go with these, if anything? Sal has seen some blue and yellow fish that she likes (she calls them Subaru fish! ) but we think they might need salt water. The tank holds 30 litres and is heated.

Also, I may have to mod the filters cos I'm struggling to get new ones, does it matter if the charcoal is before or after the sponge filter? I can sort the sponge out but the charcoal one is upstream and fancy looking but I reckon I could modify something in the pump body itself, providing it's ok down stream of the sponge.

Cheers!
Old 28 April 2005, 11:34 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Default fishy

as long as you dont ask what oil do i use or how to check the water you may get some feed back
Old 29 April 2005, 01:28 AM
FlexiRob
Scooby Regular

30 litres that is tiny my new one is 240 litres

To be honest with you i'd go to your nearest big garden centre/pet store and buy a new filter. they cost next to nothing.

As for fish, neon tetras, zebra/leopard danios all small fish that will live in a small shoal 6ish fish. Stay away from Barbs.

If they are bright blue/yellow they probably are marine(salt water) fish. They are stunning but mega work and for the full effect you need a big tank.

My local shop The Water Zoo in Peterborough have a marine tank that is about 4/5 foot deep about the same wide and about 12 foot long
Old 29 April 2005, 01:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

flush them down the loo.

30 litres is too small to ever look half decent yet will still need regular work to keep from looking ****e......dont bother with it.
Old 29 April 2005, 08:19 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

Buy some Red Oscars Fish problems sorted!!!!!
Old 29 April 2005, 08:26 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Guppys / swordtails /gouramis etc also look nice and are pretty easy to look after - ask for fish that would be ok in a normal mixed community tank.
Old 29 April 2005, 08:59 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Cheers guys

I realise it's not the best tank in the world but it was free, it's about all we've got room for and it's what we've got!

I'm hoping to get original filters, my local shop is looking into it for me, I just wondered about modding it if we can't get the originals.

I'll see if I can find pics of the fish mentioned, cheers!

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2005, 09:12 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Sal has seen some blue and yellow fish that she likes (she calls them Subaru fish! )
Will we soon see pictures of a Subaru in a....

....I'll get me coat
Old 29 April 2005, 12:46 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Let me get it for you
Old 29 April 2005, 02:24 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

buy eheim filter boxes you can cut them to size, and will save you a fortune in the long run, the carbon ect comes with a reusable bag and you can vary the amount you use.

assorted types for different scenarios.

i have a 400 litre marine tank include sump infact my sump is twice your display tank :-). and refigium planned, I use ehfi fix ehfimech and actifcarbon in a home made filter connected to my weir from the main tank. I was using juwel replacement filters before the eheim filters will cost me about £50 a year i reckon the juwels cost me that in 3 months !!!.

this is a good place to buy.

http://www.all4fish.co.uk/acatalog/E...r_Mediums.html

dont be put off by the box prices you are buying by the litre, the wool you just trim to size. one box of each will probably last you a lifetime with the size of your filter.

I would go ehfimech efifix wool sponge carbon and more wool for a polish

oh and the blue and yellow fish are probably blue yellow tailed damselfish or a male devilfish, nice to look out bu have a hideous temperment will pick on pretty much anything and squablle amongst themselves best avoided oh and they are marine.

http://www.fishpalace.org/C_xanthurus.html

oh and if you are buying a filter go external not only will it fre up tank space they are a lot easier to clean without dumping crap back into the tank. if it was me i would go for as many guppies as you can get in there just guppies, looks amazing.

happy husbandry and welcome to the wet sleeves club.
Old 29 April 2005, 02:51 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thanks for that pbee

I think I've found a suitable guppy,

Old 29 April 2005, 03:52 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

oh and if you are buying a filter go external not only will it fre up tank space they are a lot easier to clean without dumping crap back into the tank. if it was me i would go for as many guppies as you can get in there just guppies, looks amazing.
external filter on a 30 litre aquarium? hardly worth it? for a small tank like that i personally would just use a fluval internal have one in my 45 litre tank and does a good enough job, although i do run an external on my 260 litre!
as for guppies, lovely fish cept they breed like mad ... and can have as many as 100 fry you dont want to overstock your tank but guppys are best 1 male to 2 females.
see here
http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/page.cfm/Type=Fish/ID=75

and here is what you already have ...
http://www.petfish.net/white_cloud.htm

Tams