Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anyone have a conservatory with glass roof.....??

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2005, 07:10 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a conservatory with glass roof.....??

Having a conservatory built but have opted for a glass roof rather than the usual polycarb. They are recommending anti-sun filter glass which has a tint(bronze or blue). Has anyone got anything similar? How does it work , how does it look? Most people have polycarb roofs but I wanna see the stars through it!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Old 25 April 2005, 07:31 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

get the tint or it will become a greenhouse instead of a conservatory..

Stick with the glass roof though, much nicer than that dull polycarb, you can always have some special roof blinds made up if you get an exceptionally hot summer.
Old 25 April 2005, 07:35 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Have you got a number plate similar to your name...

I'm sure i saw something like that a few days ago.. Think it was on a 4X4 though.

Andy
Old 25 April 2005, 08:02 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

They are trying to fob me off with the bronze tint whereas I was promised an option of blue or green when sale order took... I agree I deffo need an outer sun filter and preferably reflective inner - will pursue the blue option instead of brown otherwise it will be in danger of looking positively **** Star Like.

cheers

Oh and no I dont have a private number plate.......
Old 25 April 2005, 08:09 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

had a glass roof on ours without any tint. Would heat up big style if we didn't open the sky light in the summer. Only issue we had was with green mould on it after a few years but a bit of bleach,fairly liquid and hot water sorted that out.
Old 25 April 2005, 08:15 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Got blue midnight tint im mine(think the copper tint is cheaper)reflects the UV's and can still see through clearly at night.Still have a opener fitted though,can get warm when the sun is full on!!

Just a note that i thought the green looked a bit "mouldy" already although that could be the paticular shade i got shown??
Old 25 April 2005, 11:16 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Ours is clear. Gets a tad warm in the summer but that's what opening windows are for!

Far better than polycarb, though. Good call

SB
Old 25 April 2005, 11:24 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

I like the sound of blue midnight tint. There is a company which uses a blue tint glass which is supposed to be mega-expensive (K2 or Pilinkingtons). The one I am being offered will be a clone but as long as it looks decent and does half the job then that will do me!
Old 26 April 2005, 12:53 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Mine is K2...looks good and has 10yr guarentee..it was expensive tho,and if you can get it cheaper then go for it mate..
Old 26 April 2005, 09:17 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ru$$Rip
Having a conservatory built but have opted for a glass roof rather than the usual polycarb. They are recommending anti-sun filter glass which has a tint(bronze or blue). Has anyone got anything similar? How does it work , how does it look? Most people have polycarb roofs but I wanna see the stars through it!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Glass roof eh? Nice but you are going to fry this summer I'm afraid. Budget for a further 3K (approx) for some pleated blinds to block out the dazzle & heat during the day. The glass won't be enough. I run my own blinds company in the South West so if you need a reccomendation for a good supplier in your neck of the woods pm sometime. Seriously though you'll need them.
Old 26 April 2005, 09:35 AM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Glass roof eh? Nice but you are going to fry this summer I'm afraid. Budget for a further 3K (approx) for some pleated blinds to block out the dazzle & heat during the day. The glass won't be enough. I run my own blinds company in the South West so if you need a reccomendation for a good supplier in your neck of the woods pm sometime. Seriously though you'll need them.

Old 26 April 2005, 09:39 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkthescoobslayer
Why?
Old 26 April 2005, 10:52 AM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Ru$$, we are just having ours built at the moment and we are having clear glass put in our roof. Looks so much better imho. As everybody has said i am expecting it to get far warmer but hey thats what conservatories are for!! Big doors and opening windows should help a little along with the blinds should we need them.
Glass roof is more expensive but worth it.

Gav.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:23 PM
damage
Scooby Regular

I've got clear PK on mine and only a prob if the windows are closed. Open the roof vent and side windows and it's no problem. If don't then it gets very hot, but not sure if the extra tints/coating would fix this as the rest of the glass area would still heat the place up.
Old 26 April 2005, 05:56 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Just to add some more info - I have not opted for top window openers as I think they obscure the view and look 'busy'. I have got 2 full window openers (twish and push from bottom) and of course there are the french doors that we can leave open. Problem is that the style of conservatory I have opted for does not have the option for a roof vent. I dont really want to put blinds up - especially when I see the price of the things!! :O