Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Something embedded in my thumb.........

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2005, 09:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Something embedded in my thumb.........

About 5 weeks ago, I'm tidying round the bin in the bedroom where wifey has missed with yet another load of those plastic "T" shaped thingies off new clothes, (don't ask):, when I feel a sharp pain in the outer edge of my thumb and it starts to bleed.

It was hurting for quite a while, much more than it ought to have, so I had a dig around in it, but to no avail. Too much blood to see anything, for one.

Now it's completely healed up, nowt to see at all.........BUT: every now and then, I rub it the wrong way, and it's as if there's something in there, something VERY sharp. It hurts enough to make me draw breath.

If I went to a doctor, would he be able to do anything? Or should I go to casualty?

Or should I just put up with it, and hope it grows out eventually?

Alcazar
Old 21 April 2005, 09:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a needle and start taking layers of skin off looking for what ever it is (Im being serious btw) I know what T shape things you are talking about, maybe its 1 of them and with them being clear you cant see it so its like having a constant splinter
Old 21 April 2005, 09:44 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I think you should try your GP first. A&E departments now say if your injury occured more than 48 hours ago they wont see you.
Old 21 April 2005, 10:14 AM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
I think you should try your GP first. A&E departments now say if your injury occured more than 48 hours ago they wont see you.
and with more people like you they would be even more full than they are now!

wimp.
Old 21 April 2005, 10:28 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Sounds like scar tissue to me. Being a clumsy ******, I spear my fingers all the time and have this same sort of thing. I once asked the doctor about it, and he said that wounds like that go hard internally whilst healing, just as a scab on the outside does, and eventually your body breaks up the scar. I've only ever had one spearing stay in this condition, but apparently I have a shard of glass in there that isn't worth getting out
Old 21 April 2005, 12:28 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

one way of getting things like splinters out is to put some elastoplast sticking plaster over the area - just the material sticky bit and not the dressing. Depends whether you're allergic to this type of plaster as AFAIK it's why surgeries / hospitals now use the clear / milky coloured tape / plasters as they're anti-allergy

another way is to mix some sugar and slivers of soap into a paste which can be put onto the dressing bit of the plaster and stuck over the area - a bit more messy this one though

they both work by drawing out the splinter etc so it might take a couple of days but could be worth a try...

digging around with a pair of tweezers might be a short term satisfaction and OK if you get the offender out otherwise you'll end up with the grand canyon in your pinky that goes very sore

if you can draw out the blighter, the plaster will protect the area from snagging for a while and you might see the end of whatever it is come through the plaster My dad got shot of a humungous wooden splinter this way years ago and it stuck through the plaster eventually so he could easily get hold of it...

Last edited by Apple; 21 April 2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 21 April 2005, 12:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If it persists I think it would be worth getting it checked in case it starts to fester with some kind of infection which would cause you a great deal more trouble eventually. Could well be a splinter or piece of metal of some kind.

Les
Old 21 April 2005, 02:30 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

"and with more people like you they would be even more full than they are now!

wimp."

Where am I suggesting he should go to casualty? I've seen your posts before chaos and you are the biggest c*nt on here IMHO.

What makes me laugh with people like you is I bet you're a real ***** in real life, and can only try and **** people off when you come on the web.
Old 21 April 2005, 02:44 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Where am I suggesting he should go to casualty? I've seen your posts before chaos and you are the biggest c*nt on here IMHO.

What makes me laugh with people like you is I bet you're a real ***** in real life, and can only try and **** people off when you come on the web.
Old 21 April 2005, 03:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
one way of getting things like splinters out is to put some elastoplast sticking plaster over the area - just the material sticky bit and not the dressing. Depends whether you're allergic to this type of plaster as AFAIK it's why surgeries / hospitals now use the clear / milky coloured tape / plasters as they're anti-allergy
That'll be "micropore tape" Very good for holding dressings on if you have an allergy to normal plasters.

another way is to mix some sugar and slivers of soap into a paste which can be put onto the dressing bit of the plaster and stuck over the area - a bit more messy this one though

they both work by drawing out the splinter etc so it might take a couple of days but could be worth a try...
That's a "poultice" you can buy proper poltice compounds from the pharmasist. Usually applied warm, leave to cool and it usually draws the problem out.

digging around with a pair of tweezers might be a short term satisfaction and OK if you get the offender out otherwise you'll end up with the grand canyon in your pinky that goes very sore

if you can draw out the blighter, the plaster will protect the area from snagging for a while and you might see the end of whatever it is come through the plaster My dad got shot of a humungous wooden splinter this way years ago and it stuck through the plaster eventually so he could easily get hold of it...
I often get the same problem, usually cuased by very fine wire getting embeded. Very hard to spot, but quite a sharp pain when you catch it. For me it's a case of live with it, or dig for it