Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Student loans people want my blood.

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 10:48 PM
sideshowbeaker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Student loans people want my blood.

I know a few of you around here are legal eagles and generally worldy wise, so I wondered if you could give me the benefit of your wisdom at all.

After graduating from university, I took some time off to travel, on my return I was quite ill and have been since, preventing me from really working. In that time, I had deffered my student loan for obvious reasons. Also during this time, my defferment had lapsed, something I didn't realise even happened, but apparently it does. So I opened a letter from Logic group the other month with lots of red writting, and not very ahppy with me. I contacted them, they sent me form, I filled it and returned, I assumed everything honky-dorey again.

HOwever, I just opened a letter this evening, which says, that during the period of my not renewing forms, I incured £300 charges, which I have to pay by tonight (8pm - whoopsy) or face legal action, which would be one or all of the following:
  • Option to defer withdrawn
  • full balance payable
  • instruct a debt collector to call
  • instruct a solicitor to launch legal action
  • incur additional costs
Well one and two, whilst not good, I can't really see how they can withdraw blood from a stone. No three does bother me as I am stopping at my folks at the moment, and I don't have anything of value, but my folks do, and they'd not be best pleased to get tangled in all this. Will they be affected?

No 4 agian, what are they going to say when I tell them I am skint, hence non payment, we all go to court to find out what we already knew, I am ill and unable to work. Nice!

Jokes aside, it seems to be getting a little serious - what do you think the likely course of action will be? And worse scenarios?

I am tempted to file for bancrupcy, I really don't want to pay them at all, I resent having to full stop! My bother and sister got it scott free! GRRR!

And can anyone confirm, if you don't have a place to live, i.e., you're stopping with people as a guest, cna debt collectors call? Surely your parents aren't liable if you are over 18?

I'd apprecaite anyones consiered opinoin or experience?

Cheers,

Beaker
Old 20 April 2005, 10:58 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I don't know how deferrment works these days, but how it worked when I was paying back my student loan is that they can't demand the money back unless you are earning above a stated threshold level. You must have all the original student loan paperwork to look up the terms of the loan agreement, or did you adopt an airy-fairy "it'll be reet" attitude when you signed up for it? Get it read, all your rights and responsibilities should be laid out in it.

Finally, why are you asking all the opinionated, ill-informed car enthusiasts on this forum instead of speaking to a student loans advisor on the phone?

Old 20 April 2005, 11:02 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Bub - Cut the guy some some slack

What time is it in your land ??
Old 20 April 2005, 11:03 PM
sideshowbeaker
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I don't know how deferrment works these days, but how it worked when I was paying back my student loan is that they can't demand the money back unless you are earning above a stated threshold level. You must have all the original student loan paperwork to look up the terms of the loan agreement, or did you adopt an airy-fairy "it'll be reet" attitude when you signed up for it? Get it read, all your rights and responsibilities should be laid out in it.

Finally, why are you asking all the opinionated, ill-informed car enthusiasts on this forum instead of speaking to a student loans advisor on the phone?

I was more interested to know about debt collectors and whether they can actually enter a home you are neither tenent or owner of?

And yeah, I took the be-reet attitude, story of my life. I am more of a skin up and worry about it 2moro kinda fella! I don't think I have original forms.

Last edited by sideshowbeaker; 20 April 2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:06 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

FFS.... this bloke's been to University!! He is the official créme de la créme of the country. A bit of READING should present no problems.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:08 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Don't let it get to that stage.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:14 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 20 April 2005, 11:23 PM
sideshowbeaker
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bubba po
FFS.... this bloke's been to University!! He is the official créme de la créme of the country. A bit of READING should present no problems.
Ha ha I might have studied massage for all you know! Ha ha.. I didn't take it as any insult, I lost the forms, and it wasn't the defferment I was worried about, it was what exactly people can do if you owe them money but don't have it to give to them?

Last edited by sideshowbeaker; 20 April 2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: to correct grammar in order to earn gold star.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The Student Loans Company have been threatening me with legal action for three years; maybe losing track of me for four years before that pissed them off?
Old 20 April 2005, 11:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sideshowbeaker
Ha ha I might of studied massage for all you know!
It wasnt bloody English was it? "might of..." my ****. Might have or might've; ffs!

Simon
Old 20 April 2005, 11:53 PM
sideshowbeaker
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GC8
It wasnt bloody English was it? "might of..." my ****. Might have or might've; ffs!

Simon
Oooooooooooooooh, let me guess you trained to be a school teacher? I'll just stand in the corner for my poor spelling and grammar, and hope to god you don't take off your belt!
Old 21 April 2005, 12:13 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

PGCE? No; I had that all covered with my C.S.E. English Language.....
Old 21 April 2005, 12:28 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

the answer to the question is they'll come round your house when youre out, sweet talk your mum into letting them in for a chat, hencing obtaining power of entry, then seize all the goods they think are worth anything and sort it all out in court. You've been a little sly in not mentioning all the other letters though eh?!
Old 21 April 2005, 12:29 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
PGCE? No; I had that all covered with my C.S.E. English Language.....
[off subject time wasting]I was referring to your apparent distress at my drunken typo, and the fact you bothered to pull me up and even mutter ‘ffs’ like you care that much about my grammar! Not that you were aware of the correct grammar, or indeed at what level of education you learnt it, jesus, are you this antagonistic in real life, or is it just online you try to annoy people. Although, your concern is quite touching Miss, you’re obviously very dedicated to your teaching! [/off subject time wasting]

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Does anybody actually know whether a debt collector is allowed to enter the house of a parent cause an adult child owes money!?

Many thanks in advance,

Beaker
Old 21 April 2005, 12:33 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
the answer to the question is they'll come round your house when youre out, sweet talk your mum into letting them in for a chat, hencing obtaining power of entry, then seize all the goods they think are worth anything and sort it all out in court. You've been a little sly in not mentioning all the other letters though eh?!
ayw

Last edited by mynickers; 21 April 2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 21 April 2005, 01:02 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The answer is here

Btw; seeing as your post quoting me is complete bollocks; Im not sure whether youre asking me or someone else, however: Im more antogonistic in real-life than I am on the internet.

Presumably you and sideshowbreaker are one in the same person? It wasnt a typo was it? It was ****-poor grammar.

See me!