Blood Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 10:19 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blood Pressure

I am sure I am going mental,

Just been into hospital for minor nasal surgery, had the pre operative assesment and got myself wound up thinking my blood pressure would be high, got there sweating and heart going ten to the dozen, sure enough, high blood pressure, 177/88, high enough to be of concern but low enough for the surgery to go ahead. Got sent for an ECG which came back normal

Anyway, gets to hospital, its still a bit high (156/88 along with a pulse of 98), they do the op, they take my bp every couple of hours without any prior warning and its normal, 134/68, 127/76. Apparently it was a bit on the low side during the operation. my pulse is now back to about 70/75.

I had a 24 hour monitor once and that came back normal apart from a slight 'spike' in my bp at 4pm which coincided with the kids coming home from school !, the monitor was due to a high reading when I went to the doctors for a check up (160/90).

Does anybody else get this phenomena, anybody else work themselves up, I feel like such a tit, I try and control my emotions but can feel myself tensing up in the waiting room.

Does anybody have a home testing kit, I want to keep an eye on things but I am certain that actually going to the doctors to have it checked causes the problem, as every time its checked without me being warned or knowing its going to be done its fine.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mum's the same, walk in to the doctor, BP through the roof, ended up having to monitor herself at home over a number of days.

If my BP was any lower I'd be dead!
Old 15 April 2005, 10:30 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Do a search on 'white coat hypertension', it's very common.

Anxiety about what the result will be is bound to push up your BP, which is one reason why home testing is good idea. It may still be a bit high if you're worried about it, but after a while the testing becomes so boring that this is no longer an effect.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:33 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Both my parents have been on the monitor, both get normal readings by and large when at home, my dad (who was pretty slim beforehand) has lost 9 pounds in a bid to get his bp down, the doctor has told him to put some back on !

My little brother who is a lot slimmer and fitter than me got a pretty high reading the other day, he had just driven back from London though.

My 83 year old grandad is now worried about the reading he got.

I also convinced myself I was diabetic because I kept getting a dry mouth, blood sugar always come back as normal, doctor suggested I perhaps try drinking some fluids occasionally !

From now on I am not going to fuss about it.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:34 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Could perhaps do with a dump valve/waste gate for excess blood pressure, have already got one for digestive purposes, mine vents to atmosphere.
Old 15 April 2005, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

BP can go up and down like a *****'s drawers! It depends on all sorts of things-anything that can make you concerned or even very happy can cause it.

They used never to measure ours just after a flight since that used to make it go all peculiar for a while.

Mine used to be a bit high but after the heart surgery it has dropped to 125/68 or so with the same pulse rate as you. Yours looks very good to me anyway.

Les
Old 15 April 2005, 01:12 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I've got to go and have a 24h monitor fitted in a couple of weeks. Nurse took mine and apparently it was sky high. Borrowed a colleugues BP tester and took it over the course of a weekend... many many times. Ventured to 130 / 83 but that was about the most it reached. Sitting down chilling and watching TV it was around 120/75 but with what I thought was a very quick heartbeat of 85

As I'm diabetic they was my BP less than 120/70 peak
Old 15 April 2005, 01:24 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

You have whats called white coat syndrome and is perfectly normal.

Happened to me, i went for a check up and my doctor is a right old so and so anyway gets the nurse to take my blood pressure and it was above normal.

a week later i had a more thorough examination ecg the works and my blood pressure was fine!
Old 15 April 2005, 01:26 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do a search on 'white coat hypertension', it's very common.

You have whats called white coat syndrome and is perfectly normal.
Read whole thread Chief
Old 15 April 2005, 01:28 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

I went into hospital for minor surgery and my BP was nudging the 190 mark! When I got home I went to my GP and it was still high. He put me on beta-blockers and now the BP is OK, although I'm still on the tablets.
Old 15 April 2005, 05:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Any side effects from the Beta Blockers ?
Old 15 April 2005, 05:43 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Yeah, his snooker has improved no end
Old 15 April 2005, 08:58 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

WOO HOO>>>>>> this is right up my street.
Been on allsorts of tablets for about 17 years now. And yes its partly white coat thingy and also genetic. Both parents and some grandparents have had it. So the odds are stacked against me.
I went through a period of high paranoia (sp?), getting so scared about doing anything for fear it would go even higher. Had the 24hr monitor on and that came back pretty average.
I have a monitor of my own but confess to not using it much, I have been told they're not very reliable and the last thing I need is to scare myself stupid again.
Now I'm on 4 tablets a day and its still not behaving very well, but my theory on this is, who decides what's the right BP for everyone? we're all different right? so surely our BP is likely to be slightly different for each person. What's high for one person maybe ok for another.
Anyways, After taking medication for 17 years or so, I'm more concerned about what the bladdy tablets are doing to my body than the BP ! At the end of the day, you can't let these things get to you, you just have to get on with life and do the best you can.
Old 15 April 2005, 09:15 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

A visit to the Doctors and my BP was over 200, Tablets came quickly. now 170/100 still high, went for pre med 197/100 still around 170 mark, Told to loose a bit of weight (1.1/2 stone for starters), had sugar test (intolerant), Wife had a 7 inch cyst on her bowel removed along with ovaries. Best bit I had a lump removed from my neck and the result was not what I wanted to hear, Told this shock and worry would not cause high BP. F***ing **it myself. Been in again for another operation awaiting results.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:59 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

DEEDEE >>> They are talking out of their backsides.... of course your emotional state is going to have an effect on your BP its all connected.
The rubbish I hear is unbelievable.
I do hope you get all your worries and problems sorted out and that the BP starts to come down in the not too distant future, but please don't let the so called experts wind you up.
I have learnt to build a wall around myself because if I hear one more health prcatitioner say."OOOH thats a lot of tablets ", if I didn't have that wall, I'd swing for them.