Connecting a DVD player via S-Video

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 08:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting a DVD player via S-Video

Here's a question for you all.

I have a rather nice new Philips dvd player (Region 1 player, hacked to play all regions, yummy!)

If I connect it to my TV using an s-video connection then the picture is always black and white instead of color. Is this normal?

I've changed the setting on the dvd player to s-video (from composite) and back, but to no avail.

There seems to be no options on the TV settings for configuring the s-video connection (I will dig out the manual later).

Any ideas?

I can and have simply connected the yellow video out to a cable and used that on a video in port on the tv, and that's fine, so it has been working. Just curious to know what is going on with the s-video.
Old 07 April 2005, 08:18 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

On some tellys the SCART sockets vary, you might get one for S-video and another that doesn't handle it. If you are using an S-video cable (the round connector as opposed to S-video over the SCART) then it should work.

Which actual cable are you using ?
Old 07 April 2005, 08:19 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

S-video seperates chromiance (colour) from luminance (brightness) so maybe your s-video cable is faulty and you only get the luminence signal.

Does your TV have an s-video in socket or are you using a scart adaptor?
Old 08 April 2005, 11:07 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Are you sure it's definately S-Video? Does the video lead look like a like DIN plug (normally black) or a phono plug (often yellow - like you describe)?
Old 08 April 2005, 01:30 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

If it's a region 1 player it will probably be outputing an NTSC (American standard) signal as opposed to PAL (European). Is your telly NTSC compatible? On my Sony I had to go into the service menu to enable NTSC decoding on the S-Video compatible SCARTS.

As above, are you sure it's S-Video (mini DIN plug), a composite lead (phono plug) is usually colour (or maybe color in your case ) coded yellow.
Old 08 April 2005, 01:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

1 other thing, on my Panasonic Viera plasma, AV4 I think it is has 3 different inputs, AV4 (which is scart) I press the yellow button on my remote to get AV4 up. AV4S which is for the S-Video connection which I have to press the yellow button twice for this and the third 1 is AV4SC which is for component and I have to press the yellow buttong 3 times. I have it set to the wrong 1 I get a black and white picture.... AV1,2 and 3 all have 1 setting on the control but AV4 has the 4 different 1's try pressing AV button on your remote a couple of times, might get you know where but then again u never know....
Old 08 April 2005, 01:41 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Why not use RGB instead?
Old 08 April 2005, 01:42 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

markus I had exactly the same on mine, basically I have to plug my DVD into AV0 on the TV because that is the only one that is selectable to s-video input on the TV menu, thats what it will be! Check the AV settings on your telly

Gary
Old 08 April 2005, 03:09 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
If it's a region 1 player it will probably be outputing an NTSC (American standard) signal as opposed to PAL (European). Is your telly NTSC compatible? On my Sony I had to go into the service menu to enable NTSC decoding on the S-Video compatible SCARTS.

As above, are you sure it's S-Video (mini DIN plug), a composite lead (phono plug) is usually colour (or maybe color in your case ) coded yellow.
I'm sure it is this as NTSC source into a PAL TV often picture comes out black and white. As mentioned different inputs on the TV can be set up to accept either PAL/NTSC/or auto detection. For some reason NTSC is not always activated and it can be done by accessing an engineers menu. This is not normally mentioned in the instruction manual but you can access it with a special comination of buttons like a cheat in a computer game. If you mess with the wrong options though you can lose the picture probably and you will struggle to get it back.
Old 08 April 2005, 03:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OK, I should have probably mentioned the TV is purley NTSC as I'm in Canada. Sorry about that.

There does not seem to be any options for AV controls in the TV menus, think I need to dig out the manual though.