Choosing the sex of your baby

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2005, 01:16 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing the sex of your baby

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...315295,00.html

What are people's thoughts on this? I don't feel comfortable with it, but I don't really know why.

If someone was really desperate to have a baby and going through IVF - would they really worry about what sex it was?

And are we in danger of creating a society where only 'perfect' is acceptable?

Genuinely curious in what the general feeling is...
Old 24 March 2005, 01:25 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember when this option was first available years ago.i havnt read the article you posted....imagine what would happen to communitys where it was preferable to have a boy, no girls would be born

there is a natural balance the way nature intended
i dont agree with it unless it is to stop families conceiving a child of a certain sex where there are problems .
anyway what would happen where the docs get it wrong and you had the wrong sex child.would you keep it (hyperthetical you), if you would , what a waste of time in the first place.

my opinion
Old 24 March 2005, 01:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i remember when this option was first available years ago.i havnt read the article you posted....imagine what would happen to communitys where it was preferable to have a boy, no girls would be born

i dont agree with it unless it is to stop families conceiving a child of a certain sex where there are problems .
anyway what would happen where the docs get it wrong and you had the wrong sex child.would you keep it (hyperthetical you), if you would , what a waste of time in the first place.

my opinion
Yes but by using any form of IVF your messing with that "natural balance".

From a personal perspective, I don't give a monkeys - if you are paying for it. I'd prefer IVF be taken off the NHS so if you want a baby you pay for it, it's a lifestyle choice afterall not a matter of life and death.

I suspect the number IVF births world wide accound for such a small percentage that even if every single one was male for example it wouldn't make a significant change to the overall population split.
Old 24 March 2005, 01:44 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
I have to agree with Sarah on this one Personally I won't want to have the choice of what sex my kids will be (assuming I've got a loaded gun ) when I decide to have a couple

As long as they are happy and healthy that's all that matters to me
Old 24 March 2005, 01:58 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

From a personal perspective, I don't give a monkeys - if you are paying for it. I'd prefer IVF be taken off the NHS so if you want a baby you pay for it, it's a lifestyle choice afterall not a matter of life and death.
If everything that came under the heading of 'lifestyle choice' was taken off the NHS then there wouldn't be much left.

I suppose as long as it's only available to those who can't have kids the natural way then the percentages would be small - but if it became available to people who could afford to pay for it, irrespective of whether they could conceive naturally or not, then potentially the numbers could grow - especially in cultures where having a girl is considered bad.

Mind you, I guess they'd soon figure out that we do have our uses when they realise that little boys have to come from somewhere.....

Old 24 March 2005, 01:58 PM
juicy1
Scooby Regular

It'a appalling that they would want to choose the sex. Agree with Sarasquares post.
Old 24 March 2005, 02:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
If everything that came under the heading of 'lifestyle choice' was taken off the NHS then there wouldn't be much left.

Sure - but you're not gonna die if you don't have a sprog, you may do so if you don't get treated for a disease, self inflicted or not. Sure drawing the lines isn't an easy one for some cases, but dropping IVF off the list of treatments offered by the NHS is a no-brainer IMO.
Old 24 March 2005, 02:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

didnt they say though it was only going to be available in certain circumstances, i.e a couple have 4 girls and want their 5th child to be a boy.... dont think its a case of pic and mix though
Old 24 March 2005, 02:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Sure - but you're not gonna die if you don't have a sprog, you may do so if you don't get treated for a disease, self inflicted or not. Sure drawing the lines isn't an easy one for some cases, but dropping IVF off the list of treatments offered by the NHS is a no-brainer IMO.
I agree 100%

I also find it very sad that people are so intent on bringing more and more babies into the world, when there are so many children (babies included) awaiting adoption. So, not only are the taxpayers paying for the IVF treatment, but we are also paying to keep those other poor kids in a home as well. Seems a very poor way of running things in my opinion..
Old 24 March 2005, 02:47 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

I also find it very sad that people are so intent on bringing more and more babies into the world, when there are so many children (babies included) awaiting adoption. So, not only are the taxpayers paying for the IVF treatment, but we are also paying to keep those other poor kids in a home as well. Seems a very poor way of running things in my opinion..
But there's also a queue of potential parents round the block. The ratio's about 5 couples to every child IIRC.

Cheers
Kav
Old 24 March 2005, 03:01 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with it at all. Echoing what has already been said above, in future generations being allowed to choose the sex of your baby is going to cause huge problems, as it is inevitible that there will be a great deal more of one sex than the other. If this kind of thing carries on, no one will conceive naturally anymore, and everyone will opt for IVF treatment so as to be able to determine the sex of their child, instead of potentially getting lumbered with something they didn't want.
Old 24 March 2005, 03:08 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Not sure about this one.

Had our first last year - both me and the misses had it in our heads that it was going to be a girl - turned out to be a boy.

When asked "how many kids do you want" I've always thought 3, but not all the same sex. If our second was to be a boy also, I'd like some way of making sure the third was a girl - for reason I'd think I was missing out if we never had at least 1 of each.

Posh Spice will be along shortly to back me up...
Old 24 March 2005, 04:29 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****

I suppose as long as it's only available to those who can't have kids the natural way then the percentages would be small - but if it became available to people who could afford to pay for it, irrespective of whether they could conceive naturally or not, then potentially the numbers could grow - especially in cultures where having a girl is considered bad.

Mind you, I guess they'd soon figure out that we do have our uses when they realise that little boys have to come from somewhere.....

i like little boys too