Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fantastic speech from Parliament from Feb, re: Terrorism debate

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2005, 12:57 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iyt will be sad to see him go, Unfortunately I can't see his sucessor being anything other than another BLiar apologist though
Old 11 March 2005, 06:59 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

What an excellent speech, and thanks for putting it here or I doubt I would have seen it.
Old 11 March 2005, 08:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is to be hoped that an excellent speech like that is given full publicity by the Media, if they have the nerve to do it that is. I also hope that it might stir the consciences of the more honourable members of the old Labour Party.

He has hit the nail on the head and indicated the frightening direction in which NL is pointing this country.

Les
Old 11 March 2005, 10:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

I agree with every sentiment posted so far.

Unfortunately, I see parallels in the way NL are trying to force this through, with the way they conned parliament and the people over the Iraq war Frighten them with things YOU "know" but "can't tell for reasons of national security", then do as you like.)

I'm also minded that VERY LITTLE of the poor press about hospitals, education etc has been heard or seen since this lot hit the front pages. More spin?

Alcazar
Old 11 March 2005, 11:03 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Excellent speech!! This whole new bill really does scare the cr@p out of me with the whole implications it carries with it.... the sad thing is maybe only 0.001% of the Uk population will realise what it means to this country.
Old 11 March 2005, 11:08 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thank god for the House Of Lords.
Old 11 March 2005, 01:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree totally with that comment from UB. Shows that a bit of real wisdom from the upper house could save us all from an unmitigated disaster. This is what the House of Lords is there for.

Have to remember that the Queen can prorogue Parliament too if they overreach themselves any more.

Les
Old 11 March 2005, 02:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brian Sedgemore
Sad to say, I do not trust the judgment of either our thespian Prime Minister or our Home Secretary, especially given the latter's performance at the Dispatch Box yesterday. It did not take Home Office civil servants or the secret police long to put poison in his water, did it? Paper No. 1, entitled "International Terrorism: the Threat", which the Home Secretary produced yesterday and I have read, is a putrid document if it is intended to justify the measure. Indeed, the Home Secretary dripped out bits of it and it sounded no better as he spoke than it read. Why does he insult the House? Why cannot he produce a better argument than that?

It is a foul calumny that we do today. Not since the Act of Settlement 1701 has Parliament usurped the powers of the judiciary and allowed the Executive to lock up people without trial in times of peace. May the Government be damned for it."

Sorry, just thought those bits were worth repeating...
Old 11 March 2005, 02:29 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

At last! A leftie who is both honest and has a conscience. Blimey - if only they were all like that.

Shame they're not brave enough to speak up until they're on their way out.

Great speech - and one that could be applied to most of the drivel produced by Labour during the current parliament.

G
Old 11 March 2005, 03:12 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

I constructed a really succint and powerful argument on this subject and when I went to post it the fecking BBS software lost my post that I took twenty minutes writing and ensuring its acuracy. Using the backbutton did not bring my text back GRRRrrrr Not the first time it has happened. pissed off........
Old 11 March 2005, 03:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueone
I constructed a really succint and powerful argument on this subject and when I went to post it the fecking BBS software lost my post that I took twenty minutes writing and ensuring its acuracy. Using the backbutton did not bring my text back GRRRrrrr Not the first time it has happened. pissed off........
tip: if writing a long reply use notepad then paste

Git I know!