Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ipod fm transmitters ??

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2005, 04:05 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod fm transmitters ??

Anyone used these little fm transmitter things you see on ebay etc that power from your cigar lighter and plug into the ear piece off your ipod or whatever and tx the sound to an output freq on your normal car stereo thus allowing the ipod`s etc sound to be put thru your car stereo speakers ??

only start from about a fiver which seems okay but just wonder do they work ?? and if so what is the sound quality like ??
Old 10 March 2005, 04:18 PM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

Default u need an itrip

i know a bloke '' cough'' with an itrip which you plug into the headphones socket and the sound out of the stereo is fine. bought in the us for about 35 dollars. you could try griffin technology website to check prices.

it is a nifty little gadget..... so he says.....

you don't use the car lighter socket at all.
Old 10 March 2005, 04:22 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

From what my "friend" tells me the itrip is the best out there. He bought his from a UK shop but they do say they are illegal to use in the UK but not illegal to buy.
Old 10 March 2005, 04:55 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

cobblers to all that, i bought an itrip in the uk for £35, it works perfectly well outside of london.

the only pain in the a*se is that in london there are lots of pirate radiostations and it can be hard to find a frequency that doesnt suffer from intereference. it also chucks a bleeping audio track into the library for every frequecy that can be annoying!!

other than that it works, its compact and it offers full ipod capability around the house and in the car.

dont leave it on show in the car though, asking for thieves breaking in looking for the ipod!!
Old 10 March 2005, 05:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

iTrip is the way to go. It's not perfect as you can get interferance from other stations on the same FM frequency, but generally it's very good.

I've got one and love it.

They are illegal to use in the UK, something to do with the wireless and telephony act. If I recall correctly, it's because all FM frequencies in the UK have to be registered to be used, and the iTrip is essentially an FM broadcast device, so you'd need a licence to 'operate' on a given frequency. It's rather akin to a pirate radio station, but with a severly limited range.
Old 10 March 2005, 05:32 PM
amber nectar
Scooby Regular

I have a belkin jobby that was for xmas.Then i got myself an itrip on ebay for about £10,never looked back.
Itrip wins hands down.
Old 10 March 2005, 08:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Dension are now doing a full range of adaptors for most OE and aftermarket head units which utilise the multichanger facility to control the iPod. They even work with any remote or steering wheel mounted control units, although the price is a bit steep at around £160. It charges the iPod and is perfectly legal though. You can either dash mount in a cradle, or just stick it in the glove box and forget it's there, whilst controlling it from your usual stereo controls.
Old 10 March 2005, 09:02 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Another vote for the i-trip, also bought from ebay

The only problem I have is remembering to turn the volume up so I can hear the bugger
Old 11 March 2005, 09:56 AM
ex D Brown
Scooby Regular

iTrip user here too.

Generally good but echo the statements about finding a free station (I live in Paris, millions of shyte french pirate stations) and you need the volume right up - uses the battery fairly quick.
Old 11 March 2005, 10:57 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

iTrip user here too - around Geneva and most other cities it's pretty much useless IMHO as finding a free slot can be very difficult but once out on the open road it's darn good ! For those who bought their iPod's in Europe it's worth getting the hack to unblock the volume restrictions.

Anyone found a way to make their iTrip work over the top of a frequency already in use or is that not doable?
Old 11 March 2005, 11:00 AM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Yeah the Itrip is the best by far....just dont forget it's only in MONO !

So it aint cd quality....but it is good enough !
Old 11 March 2005, 11:04 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

blaupunkt do a full on connection kit like a mobile phone car kit, only useful if you have a blaupunkt stereo and a 2nd aux input.
Old 11 March 2005, 12:12 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Default RE.

Originally Posted by amber nectar
I have a belkin jobby that was for xmas.Then i got myself an itrip on ebay for about £10,never looked back.
Itrip wins hands down.
Thanks guys, appreciatte the info, seems for the money anway the i-trip is the one to go for.

a quick look around ebay shows that they are going for £20 plus postage, anyone any cheaper ebay sources ?

cheers,
john