Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Uploading to Ipod and other q's?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2003, 06:16 PM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just collected my new Ipod today - very sexy little gadget

Couple of questions for the Ipod gurus though...

I'm using iTunes on a PC - if I want to upload a CD to the Ipod it seems that I have to copy it to my hard drive first. I get the impression that if I want to fill my Ipod I'll need 20Gb of free space on my hard drive first. Is there a way of copying directly to the Ipod without creating all the files on the PC?

I've connected the Ipod dock to the FireWire port on my laptop and it transfers files just fine. However, it refuses to charge via the FireWire - something the manual etc claims it will do. It charges just fine directly from a socket but not through the dock/firewire - any ideas?

Volume seems a bit naff too - I'd heard the UK units had a volume cap on them; is there any way around this?

Ta
Old 13 November 2003, 09:37 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You store your music library on your PC and it then gets copied to your iPod for listening wherever.

The iPod won't charge from your PC laptop as I'm guessing it has the smaller 4 pin version of Firewire. This format doesn't carry power, only the full size 6 pin version has the ability to power devices. You will need to connect your iPod to external power to charge it.

The volume limit was imposed by the EU and incorporated in firmware 1.2 I think. I may be wrong but starting with the 3G's, the iPods are now the same volume across the world.