Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO Yoza and the other Watch experts..!

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2005, 07:01 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Yoza and the other Watch experts..!

Right then, finally decided that a Breitling is a life or death requirement... (yes I know that might seem a bit sad!) Just one problem...

The official Breitling site has a HUGE warning on it, basically saying that if you buy off the net you are fluffed. Reminds me of the whole Euro Import crap that was big a few years back

So whilst the MAHOOSIVE saving from blitzwatches.com looks cool, am I shooting myself in the foot..? I mean, how often do these things go wrong? Can I still take it to an authorised agent for repairs and adjustment, or am I on my own once I get it???

Do I need to stump up and pay Authorised Dealer rates?

Thanks all!
Dave

ps. has anybody used 'blitzwatches' - are they any good?
Old 04 March 2005, 07:12 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

ps. has anybody used 'blitzwatches' - are they any good?[/QUOTE]

i am interested in exaclty the same question, i am looking at buying the Steve McQueen Heuer Monaco and the cheapest place i found was a diamond jeweller in Barbados (tax free). either that or Blitz?

anyone for or against?
Old 04 March 2005, 07:16 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

What I thought was odd is that on the Breitling site they categorically state that you can't get an official Breitling online, full stop. But then Blitz claim on their website that they offer full manufacturors warranty on Breitling.

My top tip (what I did) is to print out the page from Blitzwatches showing the watch you're interested in, then take it into a few decent authorised outlets and start haggling.

Use the "I'd much rather buy it from a reputable authorised dealers such as yourselves, but look how much cheaper I can get it from Blitz".

It helps if you're paying cash or debit card, rather than credit card (retailer pays about 2% handling charge), and sound like you're serious about buying it TODAY. If the dealer thinks he's got a potential sale then he isn't going to want you walking across the road to the next dealership. Picking a town with 2 or 3 official dealers helps as there's a bit of competition between dealers.

I've used Watches of Switzerland in Cardiff twice now for an Omega Speedmaster and a Breitling Avenger Seawolf, and can't recommend them highly enough. They're a really nice bunch of people there, friendly, helpful and knowledgable. I managed to get around 15% and 12% off the above two watches respectively, and have no warranty worries.

One little detail, is if you buy your watch online you'lll probably have to take it into jewellers to be adjusted for your wrist, and they'll probably charge you if you didn't buy it from them. It's a nice touch to sit and enjoy a coffee in a comfortable armchair, whilst someone approved by Breitling sizes your watch for you.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:17 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrDBM
yes I know that might seem a bit sad!
Nope, perfectly reasonable attitude.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:21 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrDBM
yes I know that might seem a bit sad
Well at least you're aware of it
Old 04 March 2005, 07:21 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Steve mcqueen monaco i saw for $2300 in manhattan last month...worth thinking about given the current exchange rate and availability of £200 flights.

That was without haggling for cash too !
Old 04 March 2005, 10:25 PM
yoza
BANNED

Ive never used Blitz, but loads of people on here have.

They are still guaranteed from Blitz.

What model/s do you like ?
Old 04 March 2005, 10:55 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

being a cheapskate, i'm looking at the areomarine (i think) range
Old 04 March 2005, 11:02 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Iwan,

Yup, thought about the fitting charge, that's certainly an advantage, and I don't mind the whole buying experience, i.e. getting it there and then

I'm just not keen on the price!?! Also, I suppose with Blitz you are probably getting totally new, rather than a three-months-in-a-shop-window-tried-on-by-chavs example

Not sure on this one...
Old 04 March 2005, 11:15 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Dunno how Blitz operate but I bought my Omega on the net and basically the supplier acted as an agent i.e. they took my cc payment then placed an order on my behalf with the actual supplier, that way I got the watch and proper docs etc. I got my watch for 800 squids RRP 1200 so was well happy, and it's been serviced by Omega so I'm sure it's genuine!
Old 05 March 2005, 08:16 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

blizt have their own sub contract watch menders very clever people with lots of letters after thier name i was once told by blizt staff
i do know of a case when a blizt watch went wrong and fixed in house free of charge in 3 weeks
ive heard if you have warranty work done from goldsmiths it can take 6 months,
anybody living in the south could pick up there watch from blizt wharehouse close to watford they dont like the address being given out at random all a bit james bond,

blizt are very well operated and genuine
Old 05 March 2005, 08:35 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I wasn't implying that Blitz were dodgy if that's how it came across. I know they offer their own warranty on everything they sell, personally I'd rather have the manufacturors warranty but obviously I paid a bit more for that. I've only ever heard good things about Blitz.

When my Breitling goes in for service in a couple of years I'm probably going to FedEx it directly to Breitling in Switzerland so they can do it, rather than have it done somewhere in the UK at an approved centre. I might have the face changed from grey to orange at the same time. All just down to personal preference really.
Old 05 March 2005, 10:19 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Goldsmith's matched the blitz price for me with my Omega Seamaster, just take the print out from the website in and say do it for that price and I'll take it with me now. worked for me.
Old 05 March 2005, 10:24 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Yes, but if everyone price matches with Blitz, and nobody buys from them, what will we all do when Blitz go out of business?

Personally, if you want cheap I'd go to a non-authorized dealer like www.secondtimeround.com or www.austinkaye.com and ask them to get hold of one for you. That way, you can see the watch before you accept it, and they'll do any adjustments for free.
Old 06 March 2005, 05:27 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

still undecided... like the idea of full official warranty, but I also like the thought of saving a few quid..!

Might try the bartering suggestions, although I confess that I had assumed this was a complete non-starter.

Manchester at the weekend it seems