Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tom Hanks to star in "Da Vinci Code" movie

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 10:12 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Hanks to star in "Da Vinci Code" movie

Surely it could *only* be Harrison Ford. I have that mental image in my brain anyway.

Up to chapter 75 now. It's all warming up nicely.

Anybody else read The Da Vinci Code? After a bit of an iffy start, it turns out to be not a bad yarn at all.

UB
Old 03 March 2005, 10:13 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Julian Clary more like
Old 03 March 2005, 10:35 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

watched the thing on C4 a while ago.
Old 03 March 2005, 10:48 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Someone told me about this book only the other day.... think I'll give it a whirl after the next one I have lined up......
Old 03 March 2005, 10:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

if you think DVC was good

try angels & demons!!!!

Mart
Old 03 March 2005, 11:00 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

ts a very popular book, what is it about
Old 03 March 2005, 11:01 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

The DaVinci Code was very good. His other books, not good at all.

Steve.
Old 03 March 2005, 11:03 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
watched the thing on C4 a while ago.
The Tony Robinson thing?

I'd quite like to see it again now....
Old 03 March 2005, 11:28 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Read it recently after a book club kindly decided to give it to me for free. Had already read Angels and Demons - reading that first does add a little bit to DVC. Decent read, got to admit I quite enjoy Dan Brown in general. A little bit fond of conspiracy theories, but combines decent enough characters, action, plot etc with a tendency to make you think lots, and you have to wonder how much is true . . . Also seems to be generally well researched, Priory of Sion and Illuminati both do allegedly exist, much of the plot ties up with "real legends"

Anyway, Harrison Ford couldn't do the movie. He already found the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And he thought the grail was a cup!

Last edited by hades; 03 March 2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:31 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've read all Dan Browns books recently, I couldn't put them down so I got through each one in about 24 hours!
Old 04 March 2005, 08:17 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Da Vinci Code is an excellent book. It got me into all the "Grail Conspiracies" so I read The Blood and The Grail, the book which inspired Dan Brown.

All these theories however, were convincingly quashed by the C4 Tony Robinson programme!

Angels and Demons is a cracking book...until the last chapter where Mr/ Brown goes off on one and ruins it all with a far fetched "stunt".

Steve
Old 04 March 2005, 08:40 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

Tom Hanks, pah. One more film I won't be watching.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:35 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Just finished this book this morning, and currently searching through all the Da Vinci threads on here

Great read, with lots of plot twists, and really good that it used real cities and places. Just a shame I didnt read it before our trip to the Louvre last September.

Going to buy his other books tomorrow.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Oh, and havnig just read some other threads on it, its hilarious how religious people seem to knock it as "complete fiction", but then try to preach to me about how Jesus was the son of god etc etc
Old 04 March 2005, 10:19 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Oh, and havnig just read some other threads on it, its hilarious how religious people seem to knock it as "complete fiction", but then try to preach to me about how Jesus was the son of god etc etc
Both stories are fiction, but that doesn't stop them both from having entertainment value.
Old 04 March 2005, 10:26 AM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

ag. read it before christmas.

while the plot is interesting and makes you want to keep reading, it's the worst-written book i think i've ever read. cliched characterisation, peter & jane writing style, comic book dialogue and the unrealistically quick unfolding of events undermined all suspension of disbelief. just IMO.

that having been said, i devoured it wanting to find out what happened - but boy did i find it a frustrating read. could have been a bestseller classic if michael crichton had written it - instead it's a bestseller abomination.

however if i was dan brown, i wouldn't care a fig: he's now a multi-millionaire and i'm not so fair play to you matey boy!
Old 04 March 2005, 10:44 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost

while the plot is interesting and makes you want to keep reading, it's the worst-written book i think i've ever read. cliched characterisation, peter & jane writing style, comic book dialogue and the unrealistically quick unfolding of events undermined all suspension of disbelief. just IMO.

that having been said, i devoured it wanting to find out what happened - but boy did i find it a frustrating read. could have been a bestseller classic if michael crichton had written it - instead it's a bestseller abomination.

however if i was dan brown, i wouldn't care a fig: he's now a multi-millionaire and i'm not so fair play to you matey boy!
That was my initial reaction. I thought it read like a cheap crime thriller and stopped reading. I got sucked in on the second try though. As you say, I'm more interested in the yarn than the delivery.

Apparently it's the biggest selling book in history - even more than the bible I heard somewhere.
Old 04 March 2005, 10:53 AM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by unclebuck
That was my initial reaction. I thought it read like a cheap crime thriller and stopped reading. I got sucked in on the second try though. As you say, I'm more interested in the yarn than the delivery.

Apparently it's the biggest selling book in history - even more than the bible I heard somewhere.
biggest selling? christ. no pun intended. that's a lot of doorstops. and they say interest in the church is dying.
Old 04 March 2005, 10:58 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

It was a bit OTT in places, and I sometimes cringed at how quickly Langdon would solve a code/mystery/problem, but I enjoyed reading it more than anything else i've read recently.

I probably like it more for its location settings, London and Paris both being places I love.
Old 04 March 2005, 11:04 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

Biggest selling of 2004, sure, but as the bible doesn't even make it in to the top 100 (even in the USA), beating the bible is no big deal.

Mind you the DVC doesn't even make the amazon top 25 - http://www.artist-b-c.freeuk.com/bes...books_1-25.htm, it comes in at a rather lowley 28. Don't bother looking for the bible, that's just a myth the Xians like to put about
Old 04 March 2005, 11:41 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost

We don't always agree, but in this case, I'm absoluitely with you. Tosh, all the way through, and with a cast of characters so wooden that you could plane and sand them, and send them to Ikea to make tables.
Old 04 March 2005, 01:43 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've read DVC, Angels & Demons, and Deception Point, and enjoyed all three.

John.