Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So, when should you change your suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2005, 10:04 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So, when should you change your suspension?

Wrong forum, I know but hopefully a few folk will see it before it gets moved.

I've got a 528i (double-wrong forum now ) with 122K miles on the clock. I think it handles like it did when I got it 2 years ago with 53K miles but it probably doesn't.

I'm sure oit could do with new shocks and springs all the way round but is there a defintive way to tell when they're shot. I've heard the bounce test on each corner is so abitrary, it's not worth doing and also that shocks should be replaced at around 70K miles.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. At quotes ranging from £500 cash and carry to £1200 fully fitted, it's a fair bit of dosh either way if they don't need doing.

Cheers
Kav
Old 05 February 2005, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My M3 has 94K on the clock and it still handles superbly. The bounce test will only really show seriously worn shockers and you could still be losing handling capability even though the bounce test looks reasonable.

Its very difficult to give an accurate opinion and I suppose the only way is either to change them on spec., or find some firm that can test them somehow.

Les
Old 05 February 2005, 11:13 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I would consider changing them, and also consider doing any other bushes and ball-joints that may need done while you are at it.
Its a lot of money, but it will improve the handling as you dont realise how a cars suspension deteriorates over time as you get used to the reduced performance.

The MOT test of a guy leaning on each corner of the car and seeing if it bounces more than once is a complete waste of time imo.
In France, their version of the MOT test includes a vibrating plate in the floor that rapidly bounces each wheel up and down and measures the rebound and damping effects of the suspension. Im not sure exactly how it works but its better than a fat guy leaning on the wing and sucking through his teeth before announcing they might need changed.
Old 05 February 2005, 12:30 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Bilstein sports shocks/Eibach springs all round should do you. Very slightly lower than stock ride height and a little firmer.

Les, I'm surprised you still have the original suspension on the M3. It is not uncommon to see the shocks leaking and/or worn by 50k.

The suspension was the one thing I couldn't live with on my M3 Evo... found it far too soft. I had the bilstein/eibach combo on for a year or so which was good, then I opted for H&R coilovers which were excellent.
Old 05 February 2005, 01:41 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps
Old 06 February 2005, 09:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Mine is the coupe ajm which has the sports suspension as standard. The car really does feel as good as new, no rattles, squeaks, or any lost motion anyway. It corners very flat, absolutely neutral handling and the back end is very progressive and fully controllable.

Maybe I am lucky and have got a good one. All my fast driving friends are very impressed with it too. It has the appearance of having been well cared for by previous owners anyway.

Les
Old 06 February 2005, 10:22 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Mine is the coupe ajm which has the sports suspension as standard. The car really does feel as good as new, no rattles, squeaks, or any lost motion anyway. It corners very flat, absolutely neutral handling and the back end is very progressive and fully controllable.

Maybe I am lucky and have got a good one. All my fast driving friends are very impressed with it too. It has the appearance of having been well cared for by previous owners anyway.

Les
Mine was a coupe too, but I guess suspension stiffness comes down to personal preference at the end of the day!
Old 06 February 2005, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are probably right ajm, mine is not quite so stiff as the classic STi was, but not that far off it. Mrs Leslie prefers it anyway, and that is half the battle

Les
Old 06 February 2005, 02:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought my Golf (Mk2 GTI) was ok, replaced the lot with Coilovers and the difference was astounding, one bend where it used to unsettle (undulation mid corner) the car could be taken 20 mph faster in full security, it just damped and controlled the body movement.