Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New York Advice

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 07:51 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York Advice

About two years ago I was on here getting advice for the best restaurants in Paris to pop the question.

Did that, got great advice, went to said restaurant, she said yes, married in Oz last year, so thanks Scoobynet!

Soon we are off to New York for 1st wedding anniversary.

I'd like a really good restaurant for a meal on the anniversary, any more excellent recommendations?

Alex
Old 18 January 2005, 08:57 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Rainbow Rooms. 65th floor of the Rockafella Plaza. Great views over NY.

Not the cheapest mind.

Watched some of the Superbowl in their last year, watched the rest in BB Kings bar just off of Times Sq (some quality blues after the game had finished).
Old 18 January 2005, 09:12 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Sidecar - you will need to find it when you get there is it's not publicised.. I'll dig out my card in a mo and give you it's telephone number etc..

other than that the usuals

Malone and Porcelli
Sparks
Bobby Vans
The Park

etc etc..
Old 18 January 2005, 09:19 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

OK Sidecar is at 205 East 55th street, just of 3rd avenue. You'll see the pub and around the side there is a hidden doorway, sometimes the door's locked and you have to buzz to get in (usually open though)

Telephone number is 212 317 2044, any problems getting a reservation just say you work for Draft
Old 18 January 2005, 09:32 PM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigGT3Fan
About two years ago I was on here getting advice for the best restaurants in Paris to pop the question.

Did that, got great advice, went to said restaurant, she said yes, married in Oz last year, so thanks Scoobynet!

Soon we are off to New York for 1st wedding anniversary.

I'd like a really good restaurant for a meal on the anniversary, any more excellent recommendations?

Alex

We went last May, for our honeymoon - 8 years after the wedding.

Went for a long weekend and stayed at the Wardolf Astoria, which is stunning in every way. Not cheap, but memorable and very worth it.

Cheers
Old 18 January 2005, 09:52 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Good place sidecar
Old 18 January 2005, 09:52 PM
AdiM
Scooby Regular

Me and missues went in October to NY for 2 days then off round lots more of the US and Canada then back to NY.

Get yourself on the chopper ( there are several companies ) that flies out around the harbour to the Statue of Liberty. About $100 each for about 10 minutes. The harbour cruise is also very good and you get a top draw view of skyline.

We stayed at the Hilton, 6th and 58th I think. About 2 minutes from central park. The zoo is good but small if you like penguins !!!

Walked down 5th Avenue and 6 in the morning, so you get to se everything with the big crowds.

We eat in a big fish place called Shmicks and McCormacks where I had the rarest tuna I'd evrn had. Did I say rare ? I mean raw !!
Old 18 January 2005, 09:57 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by asagi
stayed at the Wardolf Astoria
Is that next door to the Waldorf Astoria LOL
Old 18 January 2005, 10:08 PM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Is that next door to the Waldorf Astoria LOL
Thats the one

Last edited by asagi; 18 January 2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 18 January 2005, 10:42 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

According to Zagat's Guide, the most popular restaurants in NY are:

1. GRAMERCY TAVERN
Flatiron District
42 E. 20th St. (bet. B'way & Park Ave. S.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 477-0777
The “definition of fine dining” for many NYers, Danny Meyer’s Flatiron New American – ranked No. 1 for Popularity this year – “exceeds expectations” on all fronts, from chef Tom Colicchio’s “masterful” food to the “rustic” yet “luxuriant” decor and “beautifully choreographed”, genuinely “warm” service; plan to book way ahead, and if you’re price-conscious, try the less costly, but equally lovely, drop-in front tavern.

2. UNION SQUARE CAFE
Union Square
21 E. 16th St. (bet. 5th Ave. & Union Sq. W.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 243-4020
An “enduring” “all-star”, Danny Meyer’s “benchmark” New American off Union Square “has the magic” to elicit “wall-to-wall smiles” – credit goes to chef Michael Romano’s “exhilarating”, “soul-satisfying” cuisine, “seamless service” from “the smartest staff” going and a “genteel” but “not-too-formal” ambiance; while you’ll “thank your lucky stars” when you land a “coveted reservation”, those who “can’t wait” “can always sit at the bar” for a “primo” bite.

3. DANIEL
East 60s
60 E. 65th St. (bet. Madison & Park Aves.) New York, NY, 10021 (212) 288-0033
There’s “true joie de vivre in the air” at Daniel Boulud’s East Side flagship, a “crème de la crème” experience where the “sumptuous” New French cooking (rated No. 3 in this year’s Survey) is the “stuff of dreams”, the wine list “vast”, the service “flawless” and the flower-festooned room “opulent to say the least”; in sum, it’s the “ultimate special-occasion restaurant”, and as for the price, it’s “still cheaper than a midsize car.”

4. GOTHAM BAR & GRILL
Greenwich Village
12 E. 12th St. (bet. 5th Ave. & University Pl.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 620-4020
This “modern NY classic” has provided some 20 years of “high-end” Village dining and still stands tall in surveyors’ esteem: chef Alfred Portale’s “towering” New American creations continue to “tantalize”, the “soaring-ceilinged” setting remains casually “glamorous” and service is “top-notch”; if prices also induce vertigo, a sure cure is the $25 bargain lunch.

5. AUREOLE
East 60s
34 E. 61st St. (bet. Madison & Park Aves.) New York, NY, 10021 (212) 319-1660
A “perennial” “wow”, Charlie Palmer’s “classically elegant” East Side townhouse offers chef Dante Boccuzzi’s “celestial” New American fare, including some “showstopping desserts”; “meticulous service” caps the “idyllic experience”, but “bring your entire paycheck” or opt for the “late-lunch bargain” to “savor the moment.”

6. RIVER CAFE
Dumbo
1 Water St. (bet. Furman & Old Fulton Sts.) Brooklyn, NY, 11201 (718) 522-5200
It’s “the view, the view, the view” that keeps “romantics” swooning at Buzzy O’Keeffe’s “swanky” New American (rated No. 1 for Decor in this Survey) tucked under the Brooklyn Bridge, though the “wonderful”, “beautifully presented” cuisine and “stellar” service are just as “spectacular”; in short, it’s “the best date [place] in the city”, and while the prix fixe–only dining here is quite “expensive”, the enamored enthuse it’s “worth every penny.”

I have been to Union Square Cafe and Aureole, both very nice for a special occasion, would probably choose the former if I had to make a choice

Last edited by Daryl; 18 January 2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 18 January 2005, 11:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i stayed at the Waldorf and dint like it........nuts in the bar where good but that was all.
Old 19 January 2005, 11:19 AM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife

I'm planning our honey moon in NY also so keep them coming
Old 19 January 2005, 11:26 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

something we did which was quite cool...got our wedding rings in Tiffanys. We got married using some we borrowed! then the next day we were on 5th ave picking out some proper ones.

means a reminder of the wedding/honeymoon/trip/etc is always with you and a much more romantic purchase than picking up an ipod because its cheap!.

T

ps- only down side is the tiffany rings where about $2k and then the wife will only want tiffany eternatity ring, etc to match! (they do like the little blue boxes) so Lizzy Duke will be out!
Old 19 January 2005, 03:23 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Just this minute got back from there

F*cking freezing- wrap up warm.

wind chill is making temp -15 at the mo and i think it hit -20 yesterday. It is below freezing without the wind factor....... still, central park is stunning in the snow.

River cafe is nice- but other than that cant help you, unless you need a good deli or pizza place..

Last edited by Freak; 19 January 2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: i am jetlagged and cant type
Old 19 January 2005, 03:30 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

(Freak, did you get your record imports sorted?)
Old 19 January 2005, 03:56 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Nice hijack
(didnt bother in the end- was too risky, so i didnt bother. However, may be back for a legit club gig soon...... Just as well- as the party was cancelled at the last minute
besides- i brought about 75 records back with me- managed to blag as hand luggage too )
Old 19 January 2005, 04:02 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
According to Zagat's Guide, the most popular restaurants in NY are:

1. GRAMERCY TAVERN
Flatiron District
42 E. 20th St. (bet. B'way & Park Ave. S.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 477-0777
The “definition of fine dining” for many NYers, Danny Meyer’s Flatiron New American – ranked No. 1 for Popularity this year – “exceeds expectations” on all fronts, from chef Tom Colicchio’s “masterful” food to the “rustic” yet “luxuriant” decor and “beautifully choreographed”, genuinely “warm” service; plan to book way ahead, and if you’re price-conscious, try the less costly, but equally lovely, drop-in front tavern.

2. UNION SQUARE CAFE
Union Square
21 E. 16th St. (bet. 5th Ave. & Union Sq. W.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 243-4020
An “enduring” “all-star”, Danny Meyer’s “benchmark” New American off Union Square “has the magic” to elicit “wall-to-wall smiles” – credit goes to chef Michael Romano’s “exhilarating”, “soul-satisfying” cuisine, “seamless service” from “the smartest staff” going and a “genteel” but “not-too-formal” ambiance; while you’ll “thank your lucky stars” when you land a “coveted reservation”, those who “can’t wait” “can always sit at the bar” for a “primo” bite.

3. DANIEL
East 60s
60 E. 65th St. (bet. Madison & Park Aves.) New York, NY, 10021 (212) 288-0033
There’s “true joie de vivre in the air” at Daniel Boulud’s East Side flagship, a “crème de la crème” experience where the “sumptuous” New French cooking (rated No. 3 in this year’s Survey) is the “stuff of dreams”, the wine list “vast”, the service “flawless” and the flower-festooned room “opulent to say the least”; in sum, it’s the “ultimate special-occasion restaurant”, and as for the price, it’s “still cheaper than a midsize car.”

4. GOTHAM BAR & GRILL
Greenwich Village
12 E. 12th St. (bet. 5th Ave. & University Pl.) New York, NY, 10003 (212) 620-4020
This “modern NY classic” has provided some 20 years of “high-end” Village dining and still stands tall in surveyors’ esteem: chef Alfred Portale’s “towering” New American creations continue to “tantalize”, the “soaring-ceilinged” setting remains casually “glamorous” and service is “top-notch”; if prices also induce vertigo, a sure cure is the $25 bargain lunch.

5. AUREOLE
East 60s
34 E. 61st St. (bet. Madison & Park Aves.) New York, NY, 10021 (212) 319-1660
A “perennial” “wow”, Charlie Palmer’s “classically elegant” East Side townhouse offers chef Dante Boccuzzi’s “celestial” New American fare, including some “showstopping desserts”; “meticulous service” caps the “idyllic experience”, but “bring your entire paycheck” or opt for the “late-lunch bargain” to “savor the moment.”

6. RIVER CAFE
Dumbo
1 Water St. (bet. Furman & Old Fulton Sts.) Brooklyn, NY, 11201 (718) 522-5200
It’s “the view, the view, the view” that keeps “romantics” swooning at Buzzy O’Keeffe’s “swanky” New American (rated No. 1 for Decor in this Survey) tucked under the Brooklyn Bridge, though the “wonderful”, “beautifully presented” cuisine and “stellar” service are just as “spectacular”; in short, it’s “the best date [place] in the city”, and while the prix fixe–only dining here is quite “expensive”, the enamored enthuse it’s “worth every penny.”

I have been to Union Square Cafe and Aureole, both very nice for a special occasion, would probably choose the former if I had to make a choice
Did they have a "special offer" on "quotation marks" on "that site?"
Old 19 January 2005, 04:20 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife

pmsl@jap2scrap
Old 19 January 2005, 04:59 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Did they have a "special offer" on "quotation marks" on "that site?"
The bits in quotations are actual comments made by people who have been to the restaurants
Old 19 January 2005, 08:25 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Sorry to kinda hi-jack but reading this thread with interest too, we will be visiting New York in April , were staying in the Intercontinental just of Park Ave and will be looking for some good places to eat and visit.
We were there 2 years ago now but never really had a chance to do much, any peeps wanna say where would be good to visit both through the day and at night.
Spooks
Old 19 January 2005, 08:28 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
something we did which was quite cool...got our wedding rings in Tiffanys. We got married using some we borrowed! then the next day we were on 5th ave picking out some proper ones.

means a reminder of the wedding/honeymoon/trip/etc is always with you and a much more romantic purchase than picking up an ipod because its cheap!.

T

ps- only down side is the tiffany rings where about $2k and then the wife will only want tiffany eternatity ring, etc to match! (they do like the little blue boxes) so Lizzy Duke will be out!
Know what ya mean, we got engaged in Tiffanys 2 years back....... yup down on one knee champagne etc...... Scary thought that we will be going back soon
Spooks