Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Three point turn and right of way.

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2005, 04:21 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three point turn and right of way.

I have been involved in a prang where a white van man was making a 3 point turn in the road. As I passed him he launched from the kerb and t-boned my front offside wing/door.

I was coming round a right hand bend, and was able to see all the way down the road, there was not other traffic at this time, a few parked cars and he he was on the left hand side of the road pointing straight into the road at a right angle. I lifted off and was coasting towards him when he stopped his vehicle moving so I applied the throttle and increased speed slightly at which point he moved forward a foot and then stopped so I thought he'd seen me and was letting me go past. As i drew level with him he literally launched at full throttle from the kerb and punted the side of my car.

I have spoken to my insurance company and they said the other party hasn't admited liabilty.

I was under the impression that whilst making a 3 point turn you should only do this if you do not cause oncoming traffic to take avoiding or unessary actions. Whcih he made me do as I belive I had right of way.

Anyone been in this situation before and knows who is inn the right r wrong?
Cheers in advance

Last edited by Krade; 04 January 2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04 January 2005, 04:45 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Technically you're correct. Each section of the turn-in-the-road manoeveur should only be made if you're not going to cause other traffic to brake or change course.

Common courtesy might have led you to let him finish the turn though, if not courtesy then the knowledge that white van drivers seldom own their van and certainly don't care much about it - Self Preservation!!
Old 04 January 2005, 04:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Your right of way and all his fault for driving into you, he was causing an obstruction as well and it is down to him to avoid inconveniencing another car.

Hope it sorts out alright for you.

Les
Old 04 January 2005, 04:52 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Thats what I thought, had right of way.

I guess I should have let him go, but I tend towards the its my right of way so Im going attitude. As you say I reckon he deliberatly floored it to hit me
Old 04 January 2005, 04:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Technically you're correct. Each section of the turn-in-the-road manoeveur should only be made if you're not going to cause other traffic to brake or change course.

Common courtesy might have led you to let him finish the turn though, if not courtesy then the knowledge that white van drivers seldom own their van and certainly don't care much about it - Self Preservation!!
Saved me typing it.

Drive at all times FOR others, then it doesn't even get to the insurance stage.

Good luck.
Old 04 January 2005, 05:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

No research done so forgive me if Im wrong but when I was doing 3 point turns (including one on my driving test) I thought I had right of way until I had completed my manouvre?
I know if I was half way through a 3 pointer and another car could see me doing it and tried to interupt the manouvre by sneaking through I'd be well pi55ed off!! I wouldnt interfere with someone doing one themselves unless called through by the other driver and then I'd only go through then with extreme wizardry and caution
Old 04 January 2005, 05:38 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, because one of the main things the examiner is looking for is your ability to carry out the manouvre safely - which means only doing the various bits when it won't cause inconvenience to other drivers. In general a car proceeding down a road in a normal manner has right-of-way over any vehicle attempting any other manouvre, be it turning off the road, onto it, or in it.

M
Old 04 January 2005, 08:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite right Meridian.

Les