Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can I just change the sky digital box?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 05:10 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I just change the sky digital box?

It would appear that there is a problem with our sky digital it just displays a message stating "no satellite signal is being received". I've checked the cable all the way to the LNB and doesnt seem to be any splits or fractures anywhere, nor is the dish out of line.

Im going to borrow a mate's box in the week just to see if its the decoder in the box itself which has died or something external. Now if it turns out that its the box, am I right in assuming that the only things unique to me and my account as far as SKY are concerned are the telephone line and the viewing card? So on that note I should be able to quite safely buy a second hand box from someone who has upgraded to sky+ or no longer has the service and use it with my card.

Hopefully this is the case as it's out of warranty and sky now want silly money to come and have a fiddle!

Cheers

David
Old 12 December 2004, 05:12 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Sky want £60 usually to guarantee to repair it (i.e. replace it with a reconditioned unit).

I bought a second hand one, swapped my card and away I went.

Steve.
Old 12 December 2004, 05:16 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Yeah they've quoted £65 to come and repair it which is a no-go considering theres second hand sky boxes on ebay for £30.

Thanks for the info, looks hopeful
Old 12 December 2004, 05:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Strange, My dad's Sky just went down a couple of days a ago - duff LNB... Sky wanted £60 just to come out a look at it.

Daft, they pull you in with these fancy contracts, yet when things go wrong they want more money off you.

Something I took for granted and forgot about with cable tv/broadband - if it goes wrong, an engineer comes out and fixes it free!

Replaced it with a 4 way LNB for half that - ready for when SKY+ boxes become cheaper. (80hour version is out, so the 20hour ones should drop in price with any luck ).
Old 12 December 2004, 05:49 PM
rdraper
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same problem with my sky, and it turned out to be the LNB, it did take the repair people 3 trips out to relise though!
Old 12 December 2004, 05:54 PM
THE M25 FLYER
Scooby Regular

My sky is playing about its been loosing channels for a few weeks,the picture freezes and sound clicks,or it says no signal or fault on this channel.I rang sky who told me to change the scart lead (no improvement) so they said i would need a visit at £65:00 from an engineer.
Does anyone know if that just a call out fee or a total fix price,(the box and dish are 3 years old).
Old 12 December 2004, 05:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by THE M25 FLYER
My sky is playing about its been loosing channels for a few weeks,the picture freezes and sound clicks,or it says no signal or fault on this channel.I rang sky who told me to change the scart lead (no improvement) so they said i would need a visit at £65:00 from an engineer.
Does anyone know if that just a call out fee or a total fix price,(the box and dish are 3 years old).
Hello

As I mention above, that's fixed price. They look at your box incase you have done something stupid (that they can fix) and then just replace it.

Steve.

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2004, 06:19 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

If you swap the box you will need to phone sky to have your box paired with the viewing card.

Dipster
Old 12 December 2004, 06:22 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
If you swap the box you will need to phone sky to have your box paired with the viewing card.

Dipster
Really? Is that a recent thing? I didn't have to do that.

Steve.
Old 12 December 2004, 09:04 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Think it depends on the channel package you have (or used to). But it always used to be the card was paired to the box, so it will work for freeview and some other channels if used in another box.
Old 12 December 2004, 11:22 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Strange, My dad's Sky just went down a couple of days a ago - duff LNB... Sky wanted £60 just to come out a look at it.

Daft, they pull you in with these fancy contracts, yet when things go wrong they want more money off you.
Easy way is to just cancel the contract. Then take out a new one - if you must....
Old 12 December 2004, 11:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
Easy way is to just cancel the contract. Then take out a new one - if you must....
no can do...

one box only per address............ subsidised !!!!!

9 out of 10 its lnb

mart
Old 13 December 2004, 02:23 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Ive been having these probs recently so i bought a new areial for the wall socket to box and rewired the other cable which plugs into the box right at the end. It has been working for about 3 weeks now with no problems, freezing, clicks etc