Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave Review, Uproar "Winter Wonderland" 04/12/2004

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 12:35 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave Review, Uproar "Winter Wonderland" 04/12/2004

After their highly successful relocation party to the Emporium in Coalville, Uproar wasted no time in announcing their followup event. They had proved that the event could "Travel" and this was abley displayed by a queue which stretched 50 metres away from the entrance of the club. In both directions. Be madness not to do another then. There is a law somewhere stating that all parties in December must be connected with Christmas, so the "Winter Wonderland" party was duly christened and the customary mass of flyers hit the streets.

As usual with Uproar events, the lineup was, once again, something special. You always get a musical treat when you go to one of these dos and this status quo was maintained with a lineup which boasted a solid collection of the Upfront sound including a Breeze, Seduction, CLSM and Styles together with b2b sets from Sy and Unknown, as well as Dougal and Gammer. The MC card was equally impressive with only the best getting a look in. Storm and Whizzkid were there in their MC Squared guise, as well as Rude, Wottsee and Gazy J. The rest of the DJ lineup was just as good Scottie was showcasing his sound in yet another well deserved booking, but for me, the chance to see Marc Smith to play out was all the excuse I needed to pack a car full of my mates and head up to Coalville.

But if that weren't enough, the second room was also reused for another showing of the successful "Uproar HARD" techno room. A killer lineup had been sorted out for this room as well, including Scorpio, Clarkee, Vortex and Dolphin. Plus of course, the legendary MC Ribbz on the mic.

With the car filled up with a few friends and pointed up the M1, we made our way to the venue. We had finally gotten our act together and were on course to get there right when the event started.

In the event, we arrived just after 9pm and after a swift pint in the adjacent pub and a swift chips and gravy for Paul Z, we joined the queue. Even outside the venue, the fun had already started, with a big inflatable clown standing stock still, then scaring the crap out of people by jumping them as they walked past.

After ditching a half eaten bucket of chips, getting inside without even being searched and receiving another of Uproar's patented set time cards (for both arenas as well), the only thing I needed to see was the dancefloor. I made a beeline for it and was immediately impressed. Not by the decor or the system, but by the amount of ravers already in the place. It was almost 10pm and the place was already nicely full, and with a constant stream of Hardcore ravers coming in, it was set to get fuller.

I was pleased to see I had managed to catch the closing minutes of DJ Scottie's set. I literally caught the last tune, but once again, he pulled a blinder out the bag. Same as last week, he finished with the wicked Drum & Bass tune "Scorned" and if thats not enough to float my boat for the upcoming evening then I dont know what is.

Next up was one of my favourite DJs. CLSM, AKA, John Doe stepped up for an early set. However, if you think he was gonna give the ravers an easy time because of the early hour then think again. Playing a large amount on new material for the first half of his set, the vast morjority of his music was a mystery to me, but the lack of IDable tunes was not relative to their danceability. The large amount of ravers on the dancefloor took to the tunes like a duck to water. CLSM did his fair share of taking as well. He took the party crew in the place to the rave equivilant of the discovery channel with his new material, before coming back down to earth with a couple of more popular tunes, namely "Something inside so strong" and "Reaching out".

Also worthy of mention at this point was MC Gazy J, who was porviding the lyrical support for CLSM's and Scottie's sets. This was his second appearence at an Uproar party, but whereas his first performance was mearly OK, this second appearence was 20 times better and then some. His delivery was an excellent accompanyment to the music and I didnt get pissed off with his lyrics at all as they didnt intrude on any of the mixes or breakdowns at all. I was seriously impressed.

Thanks to the lineup card, I knew the rest of the night was full of DJs I wanted see in the main arena, so the next place that I was headed for was the techno room out the back. According to the card, Dolphin was due on the decks, but I was later told that it was Addiction doing the business when I was in there. And what a set he did as well.

The majority of Techno arenas I have been in have, if I'm honest, been a little underpopulated. Not this one though. The place was nicely full and I'm positive it was because of the top notch tunes Addiction was playing. Full on Gabba was what he was playing, plus a little bit of faster tunes, up around 220-230bpm to balance the set out. The only other person who was responsible for raising the atmosphere was the one and only MC Ribbz on the mic.

The net result was an arena full of dancing Techno maniacs. The place was alive with chaos and moshing from the ravers as addiction rinsed out the best quality filth from his record bag. If I'm honest with you, the tunes could have been a little louder, but as they were so good, no-one seemed to care. It was easily good enough to stuff I'Ding any of the tunes, but all you need to know is the techno was coming out, Ribbzy was on peak form on the mic and the place was going crazy.

As before, I can only take Techno in small doses, so it was scarcely 30 minutes before I walked away from the turmoil out the back. However I was more than compensated in the main arena with Dougal and Gammer starting the first of many b2b DJ sets. One MC Rude had also taken the executive decision to MC for thier set as well.

The polar opposite of the dark tunes in the second arena, these tunes were the best the UK upfront sound had to offer and I was loving it all. Together Rude, Dougal and Gammer went for it on an uplifting tip with "Still the One", "I Adore" and "Shining down" all getting an airing. Finally the set was finished off with a twist with "You *** my night up I'm gonna *** up your day" terminating the set.

Next up was the first of the RBC crew's sets with Styles taking his place behind the decks and Storm and Whizzkid teaming up for another of their MCSquared appearences. Another hour dedicated to the upfront sound, this set was a peak time tour de force from the Raverbaby crew with top performances from all three up on stage.

Of particular note was the crowd participation when the MC's dropped their most popular lyrics. Early on in the set, the whole place was returning "Why Oh Why" when Storm went for it to kick off the hour. Whizzkid was equally complimented when he went for "Been at work all week" further into the set. However the best bit for me was the resurgence of the 80's retro lyrics when Whizzkid chanced his arm with "Thundercats Ravers... Hooooo!!!!" It made me smile, thats for sure.

However, the real star of the performace was the DJ behind the decks. Styles is known to stick to his guns when it comes to tune selection and most of his set reflected this. Throughout the peaktime hour he kept it mainstream and uplifting with "Just be happy" and "Cutting Deep", but he also showcased the harder side of his collection with "Suck my dick" and best of all the almighty "Boomstick" finish off the set.

Taking the next set was the people responsible for putting the party together. Seduction and Rude replaced the RBC on the decks and mic and then gave the party the taste of what Maximum Impact can offer them. The ravers were all shoehorned into the main arena with literally zero space to move about. The DJ and the MCs were playing to a literal sea of ravers, all of them dancing as hard as the limited space would allow them to.

In this case it was another DJ who was more than willing to go beyond the norm for this party. Sedders started by continuing from the guts of the previous DJ's set with tunes like "Put your Hands up in the Air" and "Lets Fly" before making a tangent into the rising star that is the bouncy sound with choice selections such as "Into the sound" and "Work that Body"

The MCs for this set are also worthy of note with MC Rude taking charge for the first half before MCSquared returned to finish off the set. All three of them going great guns for the peak time performance that they were on stage for.

After the promoters had finished with the crowd, it was time for another tangent. Another back to back perfomance, but this time showcasing the sounds of yesteryear. The only way to do it justice would be to bring in the best and luckily, Ramos, Supreme and the rave legend that is DJ Druid were all due to take their place behind the decks.

The team would have been complete with MC Marley commanding the lyrical side of things, but illness prevented him from attending. The one like the Wottsee manfully filled his shoes and more than compensated for the lack of random sidetracks that Marley usually comes up with.

Of course, the tunes were always going to be the star of the show, especially with the promise of a "Classic Fusion Set" on the flyer. Some people went away a little dissapointed with the tune selection. I didnt. An night of upfront is always complimented when its broken up with a trip to the old skool. And with tunes like "Let the music take you", "Is there anybody out there", "I can feel it", "Rock this place" and best of all, the awesome "Incognito" I was in my element and rushing like a maniac when that one finally came in. Just like I was when Wottsee cained "I wanna be famous" when "Take me away" was on the decks.

For me, the next set was the REAL reason why I turned up. taking the rave to wonderland for the next hour was Marc Smith, fresh, if thats the right word, from an enormous road trip to get to the party on time. Not that I was complaining though, I was just happy that he was behind the decks and Wottsee remained on the mic.

In a rave which was dominated by variation, Smithy was in good company, however he held it back on his own tune selection. It appeared he was conscious of the fact he was the only one who would play certain tunes on the night, so he leaned heavily on the freeform sound to redress the balance.

The BPM was soon powering skyward and the ravers got their hands out of the air and their heads down, ready for a proper stomping session. Marc and Wotsee were more than prepared and went for it without mercy. Rapidly approaching the top end of the freeform sound, they pounded the bass bins of the system while the party people did the same with their feet on the dancefloor.

Tune selection is aways what Marc Smith excels at and even when he concentrated on one particular style, as opposed to the numerous hops he usually displays, he always comes up with a blinder. Tonight was no exception. "Addigio", "Are you ready for the ride" and "If you haven't danced yet what the *** did you come for?" were all prominant features of Marc's set, but even he could not resist having a play at the end of his hour and the ravers were rewarded with another highly appreciated airing for Scott Brown's "Boomstick". Cue yet another explosion of activity on the dancefloor and a smile on my face. Worth the entrance fee in itself.

The next set was the second of the Raverbaby crew's showings for the night, with Breeze on the decks and Storm returning to the mic. Usually I am satisfied with only one RBC set per rave and take the opportunity to do other things when there are multiple examples from the same label. However on the form that the previous DJs had shown for breaking away from the norm, I stuck around to see if Breezy followed suit.

I was quickly rewarded by yet another set full of twists and turn on the musical front. Best of all it was a full on rush fest as well with lots of tunes that got me tingling such as "So real", "Died Oh R.I.P", "Ultimate high" and best of all, a tune that always turns me into a giant goosebump on legs, "I'm coming home", not to mention what Breeze is best at, namely the most popular upfront tunes of the moment such as

For the final set, there was only one way to PROPERLY do things. I have been to quite a few events that have ignored this fact recently, but you cant deny it, Sy and Storm are the only way to finish off a Hardcore rave. Uproar had done the decent thing and sorted it out in their usual businesslike manner.

However, this was more than "Just" another Sy and Storm set (if there is such a thing as that). For starters it was an extended 90 minutes bounce-a-thon. Secondly, it would take the party crew all the way to the extended finish time of 7am, but best of all, Sy was joined behind the decks by his partner in crime from Quosh, Unknown.

In the event, Unknown had to start without Sy as he was running late and had not arrived by the time his set started. But the rave was in Unknown's capable hands and things were definitely in order on the mic with Storm doing the business and obiviously loving this particular day in the "office".

The interesting thing to note on this set was its not just Sy who can scratch for England. Unknown was on his own on stage, but the "scratch battles" between the DJ's fingers and the MC's mouth, always a trademark of the Power Hour, were not backward in coming forward, despite the rave being Sy'less. Eventually Sy did turn up, but thereafter, the battles continued as before he was there and were of the same high quality.

Once the DJ compliment was fully filled, it was business as usual for everybody in the place. Full on bouncing, full on MC'ing and full on scratching which have made the Power Hour what it is, firm favourite with the ravers across the country.

The only thing left to do was stomp my guts out with the mass of Hardcore survivors left on the dancefloor. Easily done with the tunes on offer. Sy and Unknown didn't try to buck the trend with the last set, they kept it simple yet awesome with tune after tune after tune. "Yeah Baby", "Neckbreaker", "Free your mind", "Bring me round to love" and the upfront remix of "4am" all got the ravers hyped and Storm was keeping his end up on the lyrical front, with "Bass, Fire" getting dropped during "Keep the crowd Jumpin" and the party crew in the place finishing it off for him without the luxury of a mic.

Eventually the hour and a half came to a close, with the DJs finishing proceedings with the rushy "Makin me wanna dance". All too soon the night came to an end and all that was left to do was shuffle out to greet the flyer massive wating for us outside the rave.

Things I liked:

Lineup - Lots of variation, plenty of b2b sets and a classic fusion set from the RSR and Druid. Can you ask for anymore? Well apart from the shocking omission of Gazy J from the next flyer. On the basis of his performance at this rave, a rethink should be in order. I really was impressed.

Music - Each of the DJs, whether they were solo or going b2b seemed to go further than their usual sets at this party. Dougal and Gammer dropping "You *** my night up", Seduction going all bouncy on us, hell, Styles finished his set with "Boomstick", how much more of a departure from the norm do you want?

Vocal talent - Now that I sit down and think of it, the MCs also deserve a mention. Its not often i big up the MCs in the place as they have a difficult job to do when it comes to working yet not overpowering the music. However on this occassion this was not an issue. All of them, without exception were dangerously close to perfect during this party. They didnt overpower the music once and all of them, to a man, hyped me up when they got on the mic.

Venue - I like the place we were raving at. A very big club and lots of elevated places to dance. It had the effect of creating a "bowl" dancefloor, full of ravers. The Aircon also deserves a mention, I dont remember getting hot once.

System - The sound system in the main room skipped the occasional beat (The bass during the Fusion set was particualrly bad) but on the whole it was very loud and well set up.

Production and decor - I liked that Multicoloured laser. A lot. As well as that, the white draping hung from every available point really did live up to the "Winter Wonderland" moniker.

Things I liked less:

Troublemakers - There was an element in the crowd which were not there to rave but to start trouble. A few were chucked out early (Maximum respect to Storm for doing Security's job for them) But there were others as well. I got started on twice, and a few of my friends had problems too. Its a shame as previous Uproar events have been very good at controlling troublemakers getting into the party. Maybe the "selective ticket outlets" system could be returned to as it seemed to work well. A better brief for security on what to look for might be a good idea too, its not like they're difficult to spot is it?

Venue - I was reliably informed that the event completely sold out and people were not allowed in as early as 2am. This is a good thing. However the Dancefloor was rammed solid at this point and was getting difficult to dance. Despite the large capacity of the venue, its seems that Uproar have gotten a bit too big for it. Not that thats a bad thing, successful events are always worth celebrating, but it really was a squeeze at one point.

The only real downside to this party was the bother that a certain element created. However this was easily outweighed by the party as a whole. The Main room was packed from the moment I arrived until the moment I left. The Techno room was a constant sea of mayhem too. The chillout room was a cool place to go to when all it got too much with the live performers entertaining the party crew while they were there.The music was a constant surprise from the innovation that came from every DJ's tune selection. Lots of good memories came from this party and it easily justified the 2 hour journey time from London to get there.

All in, the Uproar crew have done themselves proud again with another event which has entertained from a social level and more than satisfied on a musical level. All thats needed is two big security blokes in front of the stage to sort out the afforementioned problems and the next party in Febuary will undoubtably kick some **** on the same scale that the one just gone has. I'll see you there.
astraboy.