Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Scam" threads

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 06:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Scam" threads

sorry....but HOW THICK ARE SOME PEOPLE!!!!!!!

I cant belive it takes anyone with too much common sense to figure out whats real and what not without asking on here every day?

The reason the net/ebay/on line auctions get a bad name is not the crooks.......its the idiots that get fooled by the crooks!

"Is this a scam" threads should be retitled "Am i really stupid? Should i be allowed a pc of my own?"

T
Old 10 December 2004, 06:11 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Sitting on the fence as usual Tiggs? Just come out and say how you feel...
Old 10 December 2004, 06:11 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

lol very true, heres a clue, if you have to ask then yes it is
Old 10 December 2004, 06:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Tiggs has been caught out at some point in the past....
Old 10 December 2004, 07:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think Tiggs has been caught out at some point in the past....

but thats my point...i never did PC studies at school, i have never worked in IT....i use a pc for work but not in a techy way...........i am joe bloggs in pc land. i dont know my router from my LAN........but i have NEVER been caught out by any scam (or belived the emails that start "something you should all know..i heard from X, Y, Z..........." which seem design for people to retarded to fall for normal scams)
Old 10 December 2004, 07:12 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

yeah well said Tiggs
Old 10 December 2004, 07:19 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

There is another side to this. I doubt very much if I would be taken in by the sort of scams that are often posted on SN. But I have 2 kids who have, for example, have just opened their own bank accounts. All new to them. Suddenly they get an e-mail from "Barclays Security" asking them to verify their account details. To me it would smell dodgy 'cos I am old and naturally suspicious. To them? How are they to know it's a scam unless I or their mates tell them first? So yep if you are grown up and taken in then hard luck but that's not always the case. I certainly made some mistakes and was "taken" when I was a kid but then the internet didn't exist and I didn't get into serious **** like my account being cleared out (not that I had much in the account, like a student loan but that's another story )
DL

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2004, 07:21 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Good response taffy......having read that nonsense you posted i thought you might be about to defend yourself....glad you realise that would be pointless

T

ps....if you are interested i have a quad bike for sale, its in Nigerea but i can have a courier ship it to you in return for a cheque for £2million.......i will post the change back to you via PayPrat.....pkease be letting me know most soon if we can go ahead with this most safe transcation which you will be happy is 100% most secure.
Old 10 December 2004, 07:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
There is another side to this. I doubt very much if I would be taken in by the sort of scams that are often posted on SN. But I have 2 kids who have, for example, have just opened their own bank accounts. All new to them. Suddenly they get an e-mail from "Barclays Security" asking them to verify their account details. To me it would smell dodgy 'cos I am old and naturally suspicious. To them? How are they to know it's a scam unless I or their mates tell them first? So yep if you are grown up and taken in then hard luck but that's not always the case. I certainly made some mistakes and was "taken" when I was a kid but then the internet didn't exist and I didn't get into serious **** like my account being cleared out (not that I had much in the account, like a student loan but that's another story )
DL
David....good point......dont let your kids near a PC without good advice on this issue.

But this is ADULTS asking q's on here......in fact, what prompted my post was taffys story and an email from my brother...an IT bod......he had bought something on ebay for 1/3rd its normal price, from a seller that had 6 feedback, 1 negative, only been a seller 4 weeks.....turns out the software is pirate and wont work!!!! SURRRRRRPPPPRISE!!!!!!!!

a 4 year old could be forgiven.....not adults!
Old 10 December 2004, 07:25 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
ps....if you are interested i have a quad bike for sale, its in Nigerea but i can have a courier ship it to you in return for a cheque for £2million.......i will post the change back to you via PayPrat.....pkease be letting me know most soon if we can go ahead with this most safe transcation which you will be happy is 100% most secure.
That should have be signed by:

Prof. CANNIE SPELING
BEng, MEng, ACME,
University of Spastica
Old 10 December 2004, 07:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

"But this is ADULTS asking q's on here" If you say so

Guess what I just received - I kid you not.....

E-mail headed:

"Official information from Barclays IBank" - I promise this is true! David
Old 10 December 2004, 07:35 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Many of these scams may seem extremely obvious to many of us but say you were a Barclays or whatever customer and had recently had trouble with your account, the email may seem very plausible.
Old 10 December 2004, 07:35 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

pm me the full details of the quad
Old 10 December 2004, 07:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cos it's Friday - here's one of the funniest scams I heard about.

Rough housing estate with a lot of break ins. Official looking chap knocks on door, waves a pass with photo saying he is a contractor working for council. His pitch is that the council have offered to subsidise cost of installing peep hole spy things in front doors as a security measure. The full cost is £30 but the council will pay contractor £20 and tenant to pay just £10. Sounds great and chap shows a sample of peep hole thingy. He then says he will drill the hole in door and his pal, who is working on the floor below will be around in a couple of hours to install the actual spy thing. He then asks tenant to sign a form (so he can collect his money from council as a contractor) and asks for the £10. Tenant pays up, is left a neat hole in his front door and is still waiting for chap's "pal" to show up!

Old 10 December 2004, 08:08 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

David, what did you use to fill the hole in the door in?
I'm on the edge of my seat!
Old 10 December 2004, 08:33 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Something I bought on e-bay Went around offering to fill holes in for a fiver
Old 10 December 2004, 08:40 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

LOL
Old 10 December 2004, 09:36 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

david......if you really filled the hold you are an idiot..............taffy would have bought the hole from you!
Old 10 December 2004, 09:47 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yep - air conditioning system
Old 10 December 2004, 09:55 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Talking

david......if you really filled the hold you are an idiot..............taffy would have bought the hole from you!

too right I would,

I would of then started a thread on here about being scammed

some **** would then start his own thread saying how stupid people are to be scammed

then I would probably buy something crap off someone who knows how stupid I am!
Old 10 December 2004, 10:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
..... off someone who knows how stupid I am!
could be anyone then?
Old 11 December 2004, 12:33 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

David....good point......dont let your kids near a PC without good advice on this issue.

But this is ADULTS asking q's on here......in fact, what prompted my post was taffys story and an email from my brother...an IT bod......he had bought something on ebay for 1/3rd its normal price, from a seller that had 6 feedback, 1 negative, only been a seller 4 weeks.....turns out the software is pirate and wont work!!!! SURRRRRRPPPPRISE!!!!!!!!

a 4 year old could be forgiven.....not adults!
Classic. My Dad asks me my opinion on these sorts of thing and he had written his own operating system before he was my age. It has nothing to do with IT knowledge necessarily. My immunity comes from complete and utter disinterest of anything that comes through my letterbox or inbox. If things are official they are backed up by more letters/emails. I have posted on here before that my domain gets several thousand spam emails per day. You have to work hard to get my attention (unless you post on here in which case you are privileged ).

My Dad, on the otherhand, is obsessive about record keeping and will always be more inclined to respond to "official" notices than me yet he is quite happy to sift through thousands of lines of raw assembler code.

The weird thing is he has the practical financial brain and I have the IT practical brain.... I think the key lies in being a cynical b@stard - something our esteemed thread starter oozes!
Old 11 December 2004, 12:41 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
something our esteemed thread starter oozes!
i bought some extra cynicism from ebay......i was being most happy with my purchase which was concluded in a most quick way with Dr Ungunda Mowabi who was most pleasing to be carrying out this business today.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:23 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

i bought some extra cynicism from ebay......i was being most happy with my purchase which was concluded in a most quick way with Dr Ungunda Mowabi who was most pleasing to be carrying out this business today.
but was it 100% secure?