Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Once Were Warriors

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 07:05 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once Were Warriors

I went to see Once Were Warriors at my local independant cinema last night. I went with my brother whos seen it before and my mate and his housemate, theyve never seen it. Me and my brother were joking before the film started. I was winding his housemate up not telling her what the film was about and my brother kept joking, quite loudly i might add! about how he couldnt wait for the violence!

An attendant then came through and introduced the film, quite posh we thought! Then he passed the microphone over to a woman from Amnesty International who proceded to talk about abuse towards women and the impact its had on many peoples lives. I embarressingly thought they were screening it as it first came out 10 years ago!

Now ive seen this film countless times but last night was the first time id seen it on the big screen and after hearing what the woman from Amnesty had to say i can honestly say i felt quite uncomfortable watching it.

My mates housemate cried pretty much all the way through the film and my mate and her didnt really say much after we left the cinema. I hadnt really thought about the films content until last night.
Old 24 November 2004, 07:24 PM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
I went to see Once Were Warriors at my local independant cinema last night. I went with my brother whos seen it before and my mate and his housemate, theyve never seen it. Me and my brother were joking before the film started. I was winding his housemate up not telling her what the film was about and my brother kept joking, quite loudly i might add! about how he couldnt wait for the violence!

An attendant then came through and introduced the film, quite posh we thought! Then he passed the microphone over to a woman from Amnesty International who proceded to talk about abuse towards women and the impact its had on many peoples lives. I embarressingly thought they were screening it as it first came out 10 years ago!

Now ive seen this film countless times but last night was the first time id seen it on the big screen and after hearing what the woman from Amnesty had to say i can honestly say i felt quite uncomfortable watching it.

My mates housemate cried pretty much all the way through the film and my mate and her didnt really say much after we left the cinema. I hadnt really thought about the films content until last night.

I saw it on video when it came out, the only thing I can really remember was that the violence towards his wife was particularly sickening
Old 24 November 2004, 07:49 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I remember watching about half an hour of it on video and then turning it off as it was complete and utter sh1te

IMO obviously
Old 24 November 2004, 07:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

never heard of it, worth a watch? take it its an old film, is it been re-released then or something?
Old 24 November 2004, 08:00 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Bolox! Just wrote a sensitive speil and zonealarm locked me out before I could send it!

The violence is the obvious part of the film. Then there's the stories of the family members. Worst was the daughter's suicide after she was raped by her uncle and couldn't get anyone to listen to her.

Off to see "Shame" next week then? (no smiley)

J.
Old 24 November 2004, 08:16 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
never heard of it, worth a watch? take it its an old film, is it been re-released then or something?
It came out in 1994, City Screen were showing it as part of a film season.
Old 24 November 2004, 08:35 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

The star is Temuera Morrison, Bobba Fett's dad, Jango Fett.

Once were Warriors is a cracking film.

Steve
Old 24 November 2004, 09:08 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

yea good film saw it on chanel 4 a couple of years ago