ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Once Were Warriors (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/382434-once-were-warriors.html)

16vmarc 24 November 2004 07:05 PM

Once Were Warriors

I went to see Once Were Warriors at my local independant cinema last night. I went with my brother whos seen it before and my mate and his housemate, theyve never seen it. Me and my brother were joking before the film started. I was winding his housemate up not telling her what the film was about and my brother kept joking, quite loudly i might add! about how he couldnt wait for the violence!

An attendant then came through and introduced the film, quite posh we thought! Then he passed the microphone over to a woman from Amnesty International who proceded to talk about abuse towards women and the impact its had on many peoples lives. I embarressingly thought they were screening it as it first came out 10 years ago!

Now ive seen this film countless times but last night was the first time id seen it on the big screen and after hearing what the woman from Amnesty had to say i can honestly say i felt quite uncomfortable watching it.

My mates housemate cried pretty much all the way through the film and my mate and her didnt really say much after we left the cinema. I hadnt really thought about the films content until last night.

DrJP 24 November 2004 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
I went to see Once Were Warriors at my local independant cinema last night. I went with my brother whos seen it before and my mate and his housemate, theyve never seen it. Me and my brother were joking before the film started. I was winding his housemate up not telling her what the film was about and my brother kept joking, quite loudly i might add! about how he couldnt wait for the violence!

An attendant then came through and introduced the film, quite posh we thought! Then he passed the microphone over to a woman from Amnesty International who proceded to talk about abuse towards women and the impact its had on many peoples lives. I embarressingly thought they were screening it as it first came out 10 years ago!

Now ive seen this film countless times but last night was the first time id seen it on the big screen and after hearing what the woman from Amnesty had to say i can honestly say i felt quite uncomfortable watching it.

My mates housemate cried pretty much all the way through the film and my mate and her didnt really say much after we left the cinema. I hadnt really thought about the films content until last night.

I saw it on video when it came out, the only thing I can really remember was that the violence towards his wife was particularly sickening

Buzzer 24 November 2004 07:49 PM

I remember watching about half an hour of it on video and then turning it off as it was complete and utter sh1te

IMO obviously ;)

davegtt 24 November 2004 07:57 PM

never heard of it, worth a watch? take it its an old film, is it been re-released then or something?

vindaloo 24 November 2004 08:00 PM

Bolox! Just wrote a sensitive speil and zonealarm locked me out before I could send it!

The violence is the obvious part of the film. Then there's the stories of the family members. Worst was the daughter's suicide after she was raped by her uncle and couldn't get anyone to listen to her.

Off to see "Shame" next week then? (no smiley)

J.

16vmarc 24 November 2004 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt
never heard of it, worth a watch? take it its an old film, is it been re-released then or something?

It came out in 1994, City Screen were showing it as part of a film season.

Steve vRS 24 November 2004 08:35 PM

The star is Temuera Morrison, Bobba Fett's dad, Jango Fett.

Once were Warriors is a cracking film.

Steve

FASTER MIKE!! 24 November 2004 09:08 PM

yea good film saw it on chanel 4 a couple of years ago