Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thinking about a Mitsubishi Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2004, 09:04 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Mitsubishi Warrior

Thinking seriously about getting a Mitsubishi Warrior, I think it's cool, but he doesn't.... I know it's diesel and only does 94 mph... but it's looks fantastic... anyone out there got one, know someone with one... but I've booked the test drive anyway....

some constructive opinions would be appreciated

Ta
P
Old 10 July 2004, 09:25 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Fancy a 5 month old black one with twin headlight conversion, chrome sports bar on the back, ali liner, roller cover and dealer chipped?????, the wife has decided she would now like a STi Forrester.

Mog
Old 10 July 2004, 09:34 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

They do more than 94mph, more like 110mph, and you can get them chipped to get an extra 30bhp i think it is. Not very good mpg tho. Turning circle is crap, but can be easily adjusted. I had a 4life from new last year, kept it for 10months and covered 46000miles. If you have any questions I'll try and help.
Old 10 July 2004, 09:57 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

They look very nice in black.
Old 10 July 2004, 10:42 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Here's a pic of my 4life, good offroad tool aswell, brings hours of fun. Probably not the best thing to do with a brand new truck, think it lasted 2 weeks before it was all scratched up. http://www.imagehdd.com/d1y2004/7463DSC00141a.jpg
Old 10 July 2004, 11:55 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Got a 2.5 Diesel Shogun Sport@ 100 mph it is in the red on the rev counter but they are not made for speed. I drive around town in 4th never needing to change gear. I get better fuel econemy in town than I do on a run. But fed up with it now I need to go back to the scoob's
Old 11 July 2004, 11:12 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Can source these at discount. PM if interested.
Old 11 July 2004, 04:10 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Question Sorry its off topic, but...

Originally Posted by MattW
Can source these at discount. PM if interested.
Can you source other cars at discount ? Such as a Clio v6 255 ?
Old 11 July 2004, 08:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

You have PM
Old 12 July 2004, 09:33 AM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

I see that they are quite popular, I didn't realize they could be chipped that is really interesting. The Jag is up for sale, and the decision about whether or not to come out of the co car scheme is still up in the air... it's on the list of things to drive it's confusing because we are covering a huge spectrum with potential new vehicle....

Thanks for the replies all very positive I will show them to him and see what he says
P
Old 12 July 2004, 10:06 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i thought they were cool till i had one as a hire car- brand new- looked cool...drove sooooooobadly it was dangerous! it didnt understeer so much as plough forward despite turning the wheel!

i wanted one as im big but inside was smaller than my galaxy. look good but thats it!
Old 12 July 2004, 01:40 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Shame it sounds so bad, as it seems to be the best looking of the double cabs.

I am seriously considering one to keep the Company car tax down (at least for 3 years, thanks Gordon), and buying a Caterham 7 as a sunny weather/track car.
Still very undecided.

Steve
Old 12 July 2004, 03:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

think of resale whe the tax break goes!
Old 12 July 2004, 04:54 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

That would be Lombard's problem, I would only do it on contract hire for that very reason
Steve
Old 12 July 2004, 08:08 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Black Kat, will you be covering a high milage in it? If so they aren't exactly cheap to run. MPG is crap to be honest, and the servicing is alot, every 9000miles and if you go to mitsubishi to keep it in warrenty they are very expensive. I spent probably about £2500 on servicing in the 10 months I had mine. The chip is an option from the dealer, I think from them it costs about £600, you can get them for about £300 from other companies which produce more power, but I have heard that the best one to buy is the genuine one, that was from people that had tried the different ones not from the dealers. They don't drive badly, they are a big 4x4, they aren't going to have sporty handling, they are as you expect. Turning circle is crap out the factory, but they can be improved easily, either by your dealer if you have a decent one or you can do it yourself with a couple of spanners. They are great fun and very useful, I'd definately have another. Also had a nissan nevera with 200bhp and it was crap in comparison, obviously had more power, but I hated it. Mitsi wins everytime. Can get some bargains second hand aswell, I sold mine for £10500+vat.
Old 12 July 2004, 08:24 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJJ84
Black Kat, will you be covering a high milage in it? If so they aren't exactly cheap to run. MPG is crap to be honest, and the servicing is alot, every 9000miles and if you go to mitsubishi to keep it in warrenty they are very expensive. I spent probably about £2500 on servicing in the 10 months I had mine. The chip is an option from the dealer, I think from them it costs about £600, you can get them for about £300 from other companies which produce more power, but I have heard that the best one to buy is the genuine one, that was from people that had tried the different ones not from the dealers. They don't drive badly, they are a big 4x4, they aren't going to have sporty handling, they are as you expect. Turning circle is crap out the factory, but they can be improved easily, either by your dealer if you have a decent one or you can do it yourself with a couple of spanners. They are great fun and very useful, I'd definately have another. Also had a nissan nevera with 200bhp and it was crap in comparison, obviously had more power, but I hated it. Mitsi wins everytime. Can get some bargains second hand aswell, I sold mine for £10500+vat.
How the hell did you manage to spend £2500 on servicing in 10 months!!!!!!!

Mog
Old 12 July 2004, 08:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Got one, its free & i love it

Its black, with sports bar, all tinted windows, loadliner, "chip" & it ploughs through opencasts & quarry's no problem perfect for what i need it for

Get home jump into the scoob(04) & have even more fun !!

All in a days work

My 2p's

Stephen
Old 12 July 2004, 09:09 PM
sumo
Scooby Regular

I have a 51 4-life, I would say don't even think about buying one, they're very thirsty 14-22mpg, absolutly no lock,very slow, very choppy ride, servicing at 4500 miles on mine dealer cost 180-380 quid, snotty dealers IMHO, not much room in back seats, exhaust rusted through in 18 months, altogether not nice on any journey over 20 miles.

Would I swap it for a different vehicle, no probably not,

all other commonly available pick-ups are even worse, any other type of vehicle wouldnt handle all the steel , rubble etc that this vehicle has, while carrying children , towing tri-axle trailer or horsebox.
If you are looking for a practical vehicle to abuse then it is perfect, if you are trying to dodge the taxman the I would say you'll regret it a couple of months down the line, I'm lucky to have a WR1 as my other car so its easy to put up with all the bad bits..........sumo
Old 12 July 2004, 09:38 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Test drive a new Nissan Nirvara. It has won almost all off the latest Pick Up comparison tests in magazines and has more power than any of them, can also be chipped for 170 or 200 bhp! MPG is ok at 26. Service costs are reasonable also. I thought it looked meaner and drove better than the Warrior to! I have now changed tyres from 255 to a lower profile 275 road biased tyre and it has made a big difference to grip. Dont worry about understeer, it oversteers big time.

Oh, yes and the interior is not as nice as the Warrior.
Old 12 July 2004, 10:38 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Mog, I quite easily spent £2500 in 10 months on servicing. The mitsubishi dealers charge £70/hour, they need servicing at 4.5K miles, 9K miles and then every 9K miles. I had it from new and did 46K miles in those 10 months. It was in for service every 8 weeks, so much so that the dealer booked me for my next service when I collected it from the service they had just done.
Sumo, have you had the steering lock adjusted? It's only 2 nuts and makes a big difference. Have you got a truckman top or anything on the back? I found that when I got a top for mine, the little bit of extra weight made the ride less choppy. Don't know why you think they aren't comfortable for journeys over 20miles, granted they aren't as comfy as saloon cars, but I covered about 450 miles in one journey and had no problems.
Mr Leigh, we had a nirvara as well, one that was chipped to 200bhp. I thought it was horrible. Less comfy, a lot noisier and the load area in the back is smaller. Both trucks have a tendancy to oversteer when empty. Surprises a lot of people to see a great big truck coming side ways round a roundabout. I enjoyed it tho!! Want another one!
Old 13 July 2004, 08:17 AM
sumo
Scooby Regular

[Sumo, have you had the steering lock adjusted? It's only 2 nuts and makes a big difference. Have you got a truckman top or anything on the back? I found that when I got a top for mine, the little bit of extra weight made the ride less choppy. Don't know why you think they aren't comfortable for journeys over 20miles, granted they aren't as comfy as saloon cars, but I covered about 450 miles in one journey and had no problems.

I did'nt know that there are adjustable stops on the steering, I'll go out and adjust them right away.
I forgot to mention the fun to be had at roundabouts, the oversteer is very very easy to control, mine could do with a LSD on the rear to make it perfect....sumo
Old 13 July 2004, 12:05 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have enjoyed owning it. Been fun and different from my old Subaru GOD I MISS IT! of course. 32000 miles in the first year but I will not be getting another. After test driving the latest fast pack motors (Sti, EVO RX-8 )I pick up a 350z in May next year.

Last edited by Mr Leigh; 15 July 2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 15 July 2004, 09:01 AM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had one of these for six months last year. Bought it new from dealer with the fullbox option, leather etc. Always fancied one so went for it (after selling my scoob).

It was a nice novelty for a while but it bored me quite quickly. Very slow IMHO, pretty uncomfortable for anything that looked like a long journey BUT looked very cool in black with the full box and all black windows etc.

Lost loads of cash on it too when I sold it earlier this year!

....but thats just my opinion of course

Dave
Old 15 July 2004, 09:46 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Exclamation tax

Im not 100% sure, but i think the mitsi gets classed as a '' van '' by the tax man at present and could make you some savings if you buy/use it as a company vehicle..may explain why allot of them can be seen in company car parks these days...you claim back mileage for it also and the tax man gives ya money back....or i may be taking out ma brown mouth...

NOTE - If the tax thing is true..rule is about to change next year and the van's policy will make it the same if not more expensive to run as a company car....if this is the case...then a curse on all who took advantage of this loop hole as my tax for my WHITE VAN is gonna go threw the roof..

just a thought..
Old 15 July 2004, 10:16 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dariogatso
Im not 100% sure, but i think the mitsi gets classed as a '' van '' by the tax man at present and could make you some savings if you buy/use it as a company vehicle..may explain why allot of them can be seen in company car parks these days...you claim back mileage for it also and the tax man gives ya money back....or i may be taking out ma brown mouth...

NOTE - If the tax thing is true..rule is about to change next year and the van's policy will make it the same if not more expensive to run as a company car....if this is the case...then a curse on all who took advantage of this loop hole as my tax for my WHITE VAN is gonna go threw the roof..

just a thought..
This is true at the moment, I got taxed £500 for the year and that included fuel, which is a good thing the way the truck drank it. As you say a lot of them are owned by business people, so much so that at the dealer where I got mine serviced they kept asking me questions about it's offroad capabilities as none of their other customers took there vehicles offroad. Mine on the otherhand had to be jetwashed before they could even take it near the workshop, they'd never seen one so covered in mud.