Unsympathetic

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 04:21 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Unsympathetic

So Ozzie has been burgled - so what.
This mis -fit has been given tV air time to vent his anger over the theft of some jewels - They go on about how hard they worked for their money etc etc.
Go tell someone who cares.
This out pouring of self pity is sickening.
The next story on Sky News was the murder of a 10 year old Palestinian girl by the Isralies - 20 bullets in her little body .That little girl lost everything Ozzie .
Old 24 November 2004, 04:46 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another example of sensationalist jornalism. <insert name of famous person> stubs his toe and it's headline news over all the really terrible things happening elsewhere. It's the same with disasters abroad - they always report the westerners before any locals - regardless of the disparity:

Today, at 15.35 GMT, an earthquake shook the city of Placeinremotecountry, reading 7.6 on the Richter scale. Harold Appleby and his wife Edith, retired British tourists from Tunbridge Wells, were holidaying in the city when the earthquake hit. Mr. Appleby suffered a bruise to his left elbow and his wife dropped her glasses, resulting in a scratched lens. Mrs. Appleby said "Our luxury hotel was without electricty for 20 minutes. It was awful, the ice in our fridge almost melted".

4,000 locals were killed and 35,000 have lost their homes.

Last edited by Jerome; 24 November 2004 at 04:51 AM. Reason: can't speel TW...
Old 24 November 2004, 09:43 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Yet another example of sensationalist jornalism. <insert name of famous person> stubs his toe and it's headline news over all the really terrible things happening elsewhere. It's the same with disasters abroad - they always report the westerners before any locals - regardless of the disparity:

Today, at 15.35 GMT, an earthquake shook the city of Placeinremotecountry, reading 7.6 on the Richter scale. Harold Appleby and his wife Edith, retired British tourists from Tunbridge Wells, were holidaying in the city when the earthquake hit. Mr. Appleby suffered a bruise to his left elbow and his wife dropped her glasses, resulting in a scratched lens. Mrs. Appleby said "Our luxury hotel was without electricty for 20 minutes. It was awful, the ice in our fridge almost melted".

4,000 locals were killed and 35,000 have lost their homes.
Nice one Jerome and I thought it was just me who noticed this ridiculous British/western bias.

"A plane has crashed in <insert remote country name here> killing all 320 passengers. However, none of the dead are thought to be British. Now to football, Wayne Rooney has a paper cut on his finger ...."

The media in the UK are ridiculous, they are getting more biased and sensationalist with every passing day and 'news' these days simply panders to the 'soap opera generation'. On top of all that in the case of the BBC we are practically forced to pay for their existence which in today's society is just wrong IMHO.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 24 November 2004, 09:46 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Their local news is no different
Old 24 November 2004, 10:59 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

You lot must be readers of "The Sun"

Chip.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:06 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Say no more about The S*n - it's a vile swearword to me!
Old 24 November 2004, 11:09 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

The BBC is probably one of the greatest things our country has left. It is a fantastic resource which isn't bound by the need to gain an audience so can take risks to produce something different, rather then re-creating what is popular.

Personally I think the BBC website is the best website I have ever used. More then 1,000,000 pages, full of information and resources such as archieved radio and news aswell as entertainment and uptodate info on football weather etc. Without being cluttered with adverts, pop-ups banners splash screens etc.

All for the price of a small license fee.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:09 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redkop
nothing to do with an article about a certain disaster?
Old 24 November 2004, 11:10 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
You lot must be readers of "The Sun"

Chip.
There all the same. The Sun, Times, Telegraph, Sky, BBC, ITN ... - it doesn't matter - they're all going the same way.

The only mildy diverting one among them is The Daily Mail as this is on another level of sensationalism. Their articles press all the buttons of the 'It's all becoming too PC brigade'/middle England which sends them apoplectic with rage and watching them frothing on Scoobynet about a story that is at best blown out of all proportion, at worst outright fantasy is quite fun.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:16 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
The BBC is probably one of the greatest things our country has left. It is a fantastic resource which isn't bound by the need to gain an audience so can take risks to produce something different, rather then re-creating what is popular.

Personally I think the BBC website is the best website I have ever used. More then 1,000,000 pages, full of information and resources such as archieved radio and news aswell as entertainment and uptodate info on football weather etc. Without being cluttered with adverts, pop-ups banners splash screens etc.

All for the price of a small license fee.
If the BBC was impartial (or as impartial as an organisation like that can be) like it used to be then I would agree with you. Trouble is their news is now as sensationalist and biased as the rest - difference is we have to pay for them (well not quite as I could throw out my TV, but you know what I mean).

In a time when we have media organisations coming out of our ears I want the choice as to whether to support them or not - not be forced to just because I own a TV. You think they're wonderful which is fine (as you are of course entitled to your opinion), I don't, but we both have to pay for them - doesn't seem right to me.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:18 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
nothing to do with an article about a certain disaster?
Exactly something to do about a certain disaster!
Old 24 November 2004, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The BBC is in the Government's pocket now, in case it gets it's licence removed.

There is a discernible difference in the way the Government is presented to the country.

Les
Old 24 November 2004, 11:52 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

This mis -fit has been given tV air time to vent his anger over the theft of some jewels - They go on about how hard they worked for their money etc etc.
If you had something of great value (wedding ring in the case of Sharon Osbourne) of yours nicked, you'd want it back yes? If you were in the position to use the media which may enhance the chances of getting your things back you would.
This out pouring of self pity is sickening.
The next story on Sky News was the murder of a 10 year old Palestinian girl by the Isralies - 20 bullets in her little body .That little girl lost everything Ozzie .
So I take it that when you have your scoob nicked, you WON'T be on here complaining given all the other crap that goes on in the world. What is your problem with Ozzie (personally I don't care much but I have sympathy for anyone who has personal stuff nicked).

OR is your problem with the media giving it (disproportionate imo) attention?
Old 24 November 2004, 11:57 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

let's face it - between sharon and ozzy they have enough jewels and tat to open up their own junk shop. the only thing that surprised me is they realsied someone had broken in, and didn't just assume that one of the dogs had eaten the rings.
Old 24 November 2004, 12:00 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Stop wallowing in the past RK

Regards
Boris
Old 24 November 2004, 12:24 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I couldn't believe they were given a conference by the police to air their appeal. You'd have thought someone had been murdered or kidnapped.
Old 24 November 2004, 12:33 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

£2million worth of jewellry has gone missing from the osbournes house, they have a right to jump and shout about it, if the media want to stick this on the front page of the paper then who's fault is it? it certainly aint Ozzies.

What cracks me up though is ozzy had this guy in a head lock, can u imagine the abuse ozzy was shouting at this guy lmfao. the other thing on ozzies show he is like an old cripple yet he managed to restrian a theif for a short while..lol
Old 24 November 2004, 01:11 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davegtt
£2million worth of jewellry has gone missing from the osbournes house, they have a right to jump and shout about it, if the media want to stick this on the front page of the paper then who's fault is it? it certainly aint Ozzies.

What cracks me up though is ozzy had this guy in a head lock, can u imagine the abuse ozzy was shouting at this guy lmfao. the other thing on ozzies show he is like an old cripple yet he managed to restrian a theif for a short while..lol
And he was naked (apparently). Sharon should have jumped out of bed and the tea Leaf would have had a heart attack .
Old 24 November 2004, 01:13 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
Stop wallowing in the past RK

Regards
Boris
Not wallowing at all, just don't forgive the S*n for their lies.
Old 24 November 2004, 01:17 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Not wallowing at all, just don't forgive the S*n for their lies.
IIRC wasnt their lies coming from a member of the yorkshire constablary? even though he aint been named they reported on a "source" as does every single paper that prints anything every single day....
Old 24 November 2004, 01:57 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracoro
If you had something of great value (wedding ring in the case of Sharon Osbourne) of yours nicked, you'd want it back yes? If you were in the position to use the media which may enhance the chances of getting your things back you would.
So I take it that when you have your scoob nicked, you WON'T be on here complaining given all the other crap that goes on in the world. What is your problem with Ozzie (personally I don't care much but I have sympathy for anyone who has personal stuff nicked).

OR is your problem with the media giving it (disproportionate imo) attention?
My point was the priority Sky News elected to give to this insignificant robbery - Sure it was £2,000,000 , but the Osbournes have sufficient wealth for it not to have any impact on their life whatsoever; But the truly tragic event was the murder of this child .
Old 24 November 2004, 02:01 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

It's not everyday the Osbournes get robbed - which Is why it makes the news before a young Palestinian death.
Old 24 November 2004, 02:16 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RobJenks
My point was the priority Sky News elected to give to this insignificant robbery - Sure it was £2,000,000 , but the Osbournes have sufficient wealth for it not to have any impact on their life whatsoever; But the truly tragic event was the murder of this child .
Think it was the way u layed your original post out, sure the osbournes are rich but so is the queen, if she was burgled then Im sure that'd be on the front page too. just beacuse the osbournes can afford to lose £2m it doesnt mean that it was a bad thing to happen etc. its going to be a high profile case for the police so its being shown around. your gripe should be aimed at the media not ozzy and his misses
Old 24 November 2004, 08:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Scratch the actual value of the jewels and you're left with people losing items of sentimental value and a violent confrontation with intruders. It'd have made the news anway. They just wouldn't have got the heli-chopper in to take all those artsy aerial photos.lol at ****** 2 leaping out of an upstairs window to escape...

J.