Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance rip off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 02:48 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys, not wishing to sound unsympathetic, but what do you expect! Insurers are being really touchy at the minute. Daft not to check first. He sounds like he's got a good deal for £1300!

My MY99 insurance went up from £650 to £900 the other year for no change in my circumstances. That's an unmodded car and I'm nearly 30 with 7 years NCB!

Unfortunately I flogged the scoob a few months ago and have a Mondeo Zetec. The insurance is an eye watering £550- considering it's group 10E apparently. Ford Insure quoted me £848!!

[Edited by sickboy - 3/1/2002 3:00:25 PM]
Old 03 January 2002, 03:07 PM
gibbo_ireland
Scooby Regular

Just think for a moment of us across the pond in Ireland. Insurance here is approx 10 times that of the UK. Im nearly 25, driving for 5 years, NCB etc and they wont quote me on a Scooby.

Others I know are paying around £5000IEP for a years insurance on a standard Turbo because "its the type of car you have their thats the problem sir".

What a load of sh**e. You should ONLY be punished with these sort of premiums, IF you f**k up and have an accident.

Its scandalous how good drivers get increased premiums for others mistakes and carelessness.

Another joke is the EU, and all that nonsense about no barriers. Why is it that by law we are not allowed to get insured by a UK company or a German company?

Makes my blood boil....

[Edited by gibbo_ireland - 3/1/2002 3:08:42 PM]
Old 03 January 2002, 03:23 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Try Lancaster Insurance

I'm 22, and my MY98 UK Turbo is the first car I've owned (so obviously, no NCB's). I wasn't charged anything for my HKS exhaust system! Good luck.

Also the only company that could insure me for under £3K!!!!

Edited to say: Just turned 23 now! DUH! Alkeehol kills brain.

[Edited by tony1979 - 3/1/2002 3:24:47 PM]
Old 03 January 2002, 08:31 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

oh well being 25 i already pay £1500 or so with 2 years NCB im only guna have 2 pay £215 extra for the new alloys im having put on next weekend! BARGAIN
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 3/1/2002 8:32:40 PM]
Old 01 March 2002, 01:25 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Angry

My brother is 22 and he's worked his ***** off to get a lovely 97 UK Scoob (like his big bro) having only graduated from Uni a year ago.

He is paying around £1300 a year insurance mainly due to his age, postcode (Oldham) and the car.

Last night he phoned his insurance co to tell them of his recent mods namely HKS induction kit and full decat exhaust.

His insurance co wants another £300 per year!!

If he fits lowered springs they want another £300 on top of that!!!!

Yet a few weeks ago, I know someone who had a crash while driving without tax and insurance. They got taken to court.
The result:

6 points
£100 fine
£30 costs

Now is this fair or what?

We slog our goolies (or *******) off to get nice cars and get hammered cause we wanna make them a bit quicker, yet ******* who don't bother to insure their cars get away scot free virtually.

The guy whose car was smashed up will have to claim off some special scheme set up for claims against uninsured drivers and 2 guesses who pays for that. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It's a load of bo**ocks!

Rich

Old 01 March 2002, 02:37 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid it's just another in a long line of similar stories.

A couple of years ago, I asked my previous insurance company what it would cost if I added a SS backbox to my old 98. As the answer was £80 a year, I put it off until I changed companies.

Unfortunately, there is such a variety of attitudes towards mods, not to mention prices, that it's always best to ask first. I seem to recall a member recently saying that he'd done a similar thing, and his insurance company had told him to remove the mods or they would cancel his insurance forthwith.

Try another company. There are plenty that cover mods, and these companies quite often don't even charge for some of them.

Josh
Old 01 March 2002, 02:49 PM
ronny555
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the ****ty world of UK Justice.

That case was followed by a murdering rapist who got
a £100 fine and 20 hours community service!!!
Old 01 March 2002, 02:49 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Given that motor insurance underwriters are losing money on each policy they underwrite at the moment, it ain't surprising that they want to cover their risk. Young guy making a very nickable car more powerful and attractive to thieves? Wouldn't you make them pay for the extra risk if the boot was on the other foot?

Not saying it's right. This, IMHO, is all down to the vultures known as "no-win, no-fee" scum of the earth who put ads on daytime tv saying (and I paraphase) "Lazy? Want something for nothing? Want easy cash at no expense to yourself whatsoever? Have you so much as stubbed your toe, or did someone look at you in a way that caused your psychological disturbances? Call us. We can help."

So I feel sorry for your bro, but everyone's in the same situation. Apart from those who coin it in suing others for whiplash, etc.

(climbs off soapbox)

Nick.
Old 01 March 2002, 02:50 PM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had to pay an extra £45 for the year when declaring my SS BB and ITG panel filter to Privilege Insurance ... this is OK but the young lady I spoke to seem to have a clue to be honest, but hey in the scheme of things I wasn't too peeved about it.

I've heard Greenlight Insurance are not only cheap but are very receptive to modifications, try them out

Cheers
Phil
Old 01 March 2002, 02:51 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sickboy, that makes me feel *loads* better . I had heard that it was run of the mill cars that were going to be hit for real increases; your post seems to provide the evidence.

More people will be uninsured.

Something Needs To Be Done.
Old 01 March 2002, 03:04 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

tell me about it chiark.

Insurance wasn't the only reason I sold- but it was getting more and more on my t*ts.

The way I figured it was 30% up on £500 is better than £1000, but it is indeed wrong.

I've said to my wife I'd rather pay the running costs and bear it, rather than drive the Mondy. It's not a bad car, but all things are relative.
Old 01 March 2002, 03:55 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tony, I'm with Lancaster actually, and he tried them already. He's with Tesco at the mo, and although the premium is a bit more they let him protect his NCB whereas Lancaster couldn't until he'd been with 'em a year.

I feel for you gibbo, it's hard when we get hammered just because of where we live.

I think some people have misundersttod me though. I'm not saying that he shouldn't expect an increase for his mods (although £300 is ridiculous for what? 30bhp?).

What I'm saying is it's sh1te that those who drive without insurance get away with it. Using the example I gave earlier, it looks like it's better to not declare your mods and take the risk of a fine if your insurance is declared void. This is a crazy situation.

Fine, increase premiums for modded cars but those who don't pay should be fined AT LEAST what they should have paid in an insurance premium, not £100 F*cking quid!!!

Rich

Old 01 March 2002, 06:31 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Fully agree Rich, and now it's suggested they shouldn't send em to prison because short sentences are ineffective.
Simple answer - more jails, not the holiday camps they're developing - and a minimum 5yrs or as long as it takes to work off their fine.

As a doddery old fart I still hand over the best part of a grand, but they don't charge extra for run of the mill mods.

Not that I have any
Old 01 March 2002, 08:15 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I hate insurance companies [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 March 2002, 10:04 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Ignorance is bliss, eh
Old 01 March 2002, 11:16 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ignorance is bliss indeed.

Bigger turbo, monster intercooler, water injection, water spray, monster injectors - power rated underwriting.

Additional loading - NIL - yes you read that correctly, I have it in writing - NIL.

Don't slag insurers - get yourself a decent broker.

Trout

PS Not an advert for Dave T-S of course he has a new STi and I don't
Old 01 March 2002, 11:21 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

correct me if i'm wrong thou yer now saying dont tell yer insurance co. of yer mods yet i believe u'll find if u **** it, perish the fort, & they find mods on investigating u will be up a certain creak without a certain paddle
Si
Old 01 March 2002, 11:24 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

Scooby-Si,

you have indeed misinterpreted - these mods a are FULLY DECLARED. They needed a special form as I have so many mods. I am commenting that there was no additional loading for the extra 50bhp these mods released.

Trout
Old 01 March 2002, 11:27 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

oh oops me der
Old 03 March 2002, 12:52 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

edited